Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

Fuel gauge always says full?

• 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Mar 31, 2018 9:45:34 pm
    OK so i did LED mods to my gauges to make them blue, and since then ive noticed that my fuel gauge always says its on full. When i turn the key on, all of the needles go to max, then back down to 0, so i know the little motor that turns the gauge is fine, and the needle isnt stuck or anything like that. When i hooked my bluetooth OBD2 connecter and used the Torque android app to get real time data, i put a fuel level gauge on it and it says "no data" so i guess there is not a signal being sent to the ecu for fuel level? I thought it HAD to be something with removing/modifying the gauges, but guess not. Any ideas what could be my problem at this point?
    • Apr 03, 2018 11:19:26 am
    BDog21 wrote:
    OK so i did LED mods to my gauges to make them blue, and since then ive noticed that my fuel gauge always says its on full. When i turn the key on, all of the needles go to max, then back down to 0, so i know the little motor that turns the gauge is fine, and the needle isnt stuck or anything like that. When i hooked my bluetooth OBD2 connecter and used the Torque android app to get real time data, i put a fuel level gauge on it and it says "no data" so i guess there is not a signal being sent to the ecu for fuel level? I thought it HAD to be something with removing/modifying the gauges, but guess not. Any ideas what could be my problem at this point?

hmmm.. have to check the sending unit in the fuel tank (which can be tested with a multimeter set to ohms) to make sure it's supplying the correct signal.

The other thing is it could all be coincidental. I once did an oil change on the tC, got done, started up and the engine died! Freaked me out. Turns out jacking up the car made the deposits (gooey) shift on the throttle plate and it blocked the idle air hole! so, could've just been something like that..

so anyway, check the sending unit at the fuel pump for the right voltage, signal, etc..
    • Apr 05, 2018 4:25:16 pm
    ok, thanks for the reply! Do i have to drop the gas tank to check the sending unit? Or is there any way to check it with the tank still bolted in place?
    • Apr 05, 2018 4:37:42 pm
    BDog21 wrote:
    ok, thanks for the reply! Do i have to drop the gas tank to check the sending unit? Or is there any way to check it with the tank still bolted in place?

yup you're welcome. no it is accessible by removing the rear seat bottom cushion, all the connections are there to test.
  • 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: