Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

5th and 6th Gear?

• 15 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Jan 30, 2016 1:44:40 pm
    I recently went from a 2010 to a 2012 Scion tc. My current issue is that the newer tc has a 6th gear. I baby my vehicles and always shift at about 3000-3500rpm depending on how fast I need to accelerate. I've done this the past 12 years of only owning stick shift cars and my cars have always ran perfectly. My boyfriend on the other hand is use to his 2011 WRX (his first and only manual car) and when he drives my car he likes to stay in 5th gear a cruise at 4000 rpms on the freeway instead of shifting to 6th. When I nag him about it he tells me not to tell him how to drive and that its fine. Will it eventually damage or cause faster wear on my car if he continues to drive it like that? I mean what's the point of a 6th gear if you don't even use it at higher speeds on the freeway?
    • Jan 30, 2016 9:30:20 pm
    Not only will it increase your engine wear but itll kill your gas mileage as well.
    • Jan 30, 2016 11:14:59 pm
    Chassi wrote:
    I recently went from a 2010 to a 2012 Scion tc. My current issue is that the newer tc has a 6th gear. I baby my vehicles and always shift at about 3000-3500rpm depending on how fast I need to accelerate. I've done this the past 12 years of only owning stick shift cars and my cars have always ran perfectly. My boyfriend on the other hand is use to his 2011 WRX (his first and only manual car) and when he drives my car he likes to stay in 5th gear a cruise at 4000 rpms on the freeway instead of shifting to 6th. When I nag him about it he tells me not to tell him how to drive and that its fine. Will it eventually damage or cause faster wear on my car if he continues to drive it like that? I mean what's the point of a 6th gear if you don't even use it at higher speeds on the freeway?

How about you take ownership of your own car and tell your boyfriend to treat your car the way you want, or he can be a passenger or walk. I'm also thinking the way a guy treats others, even a car, he could end up treating you the same way. It's time to stand up for yourself and your car. Let him drive his own car the way he sees fit. That's insane to go along with him telling you what to do.

And yes driving with that high of rpms is wasting fuel, and stressing the engine than it needs to be for the speed you're going.
    • Jan 31, 2016 6:58:46 am
    sciontc_mich hit the nail on the head with that one!
    • Jan 31, 2016 5:31:58 pm
    Spence306 wrote:
    sciontc_mich hit the nail on the head with that one!

hey thanks spence! Yeah I mean why ask us when this idiot of a boyfriend is treating the car poorly. We've had these kinds of posts before, I'll be surprised if this poster ever comes back to comment on what I said. Or what you've said either.
    • Feb 01, 2016 11:03:13 pm
    Probably not. Some people don't like it when they come for advice and it's not what they want to hear. Lol or they just post on here to vent and then get upset the next day when we agree with them. Lol ya win some and ya lose some.
    • Feb 06, 2016 11:52:24 pm
    Before I comment I need to see a picture of you with your car. I can only judge a situation by looks and nothing else
    • Feb 08, 2016 12:29:36 am
    byronthecarguy wrote:
    Before I comment I need to see a picture of you with your car. I can only judge a situation by looks and nothing else

I do agree a picture would be necessary.. ya perv! lol.. But I doubt the poster is ever coming back here..
    • Mar 05, 2016 9:58:12 am
    Sorry took so long to REPLY! I forgot about my post for awhile, been a busy couple of months. I've told him it will wear it out but I just wanted to get a second opinion. I appreciate the responses. Thank you.
    • Apr 12, 2017 10:16:00 pm
    It wont nessesaraly damage the engine but it would wear of years of driving like that. Every now and again its good to rev the car through the gears and exercise the trans and engine. Think of it like a person, if u sit around all the time and be lazy you get out of shape. Not saying you car will lose performance by babying the car but if you run it through the rpms it can break some carbon off the pistons and get the oil moving. Not the best way to explain it but i hope you get what i mean.
    • Apr 12, 2017 11:53:00 pm
    Aaron125 wrote:
    It wont nessesaraly damage the engine but it would wear of years of driving like that. Every now and again its good to rev the car through the gears and exercise the trans and engine. Think of it like a person, if u sit around all the time and be lazy you get out of shape. Not saying you car will lose performance by babying the car but if you run it through the rpms it can break some carbon off the pistons and get the oil moving. Not the best way to explain it but i hope you get what i mean.

I call it "cleaning the injectors" LOL
    • Apr 13, 2017 12:07:47 am
    hey isn't that what they call the "Italian Tune Up"??
    • Apr 13, 2017 12:11:02 am
    Haven't heard that one yet
    • Apr 13, 2017 12:16:23 am
    yeah it's what they had to do to old italian cars.. drive them like they stole 'em and that would blow the carbon out of the engine.. hence the "italian tune up" lol
    • Apr 13, 2017 12:49:03 am
    I have been doing Italian tune ups for many years. LOL my Italian grandfather would be so proud!!
Tags: 5th 6th and gear
  • 15 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: