Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
More Tech Talk and Help Threads
Viewing Thread

2AZ FE rebuild help! 😭

• 3 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Apr 13, 2017 1:30:16 am
    Ok guys I have a 2006 Scion TC and have a couple question I need answered.

1. Is the TC motor a long block or short block?
    2. If my block is warped can I resurface the block?
    3. What do I need to rebuild the block? Ex: crack shaft, connecting rods, pistons?
    4. If I'm ordering bigger pistons and have the block bored from 88.5mm to 89mm would I have to mod the gasket also?
    5. If I was getting stage 2 cams what exactly would I need to get it installed?

Can anyone please help me?! I have absolutely NO EXPERIENCE in engine work.. just know what I've seen on YouTube and read on the internet.. just need a step by step guide

The reason why I'm so interested in this... is because I took my tc into the dealer here on Guam πŸ‡¬πŸ‡Ί Atkin Kroll Toyota and they were trying to charge me 7k for parts and labor 😫😱 I turned around and said I can build a dope ass motor that's not even stock for less πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’― so this is my mission once again please help!
    • Apr 13, 2017 9:24:31 pm
    jyayo671 wrote:
    Ok guys I have a 2006 Scion TC and have a couple question I need answered.

1. Is the TC motor a long block or short block?
    2. If my block is warped can I resurface the block?
    3. What do I need to rebuild the block? Ex: crack shaft, connecting rods, pistons?
    4. If I'm ordering bigger pistons and have the block bored from 88.5mm to 89mm would I have to mod the gasket also?
    5. If I was getting stage 2 cams what exactly would I need to get it installed?

Can anyone please help me?! I have absolutely NO EXPERIENCE in engine work.. just know what I've seen on YouTube and read on the internet.. just need a step by step guide

The reason why I'm so interested in this... is because I took my tc into the dealer here on Guam πŸ‡¬πŸ‡Ί Atkin Kroll Toyota and they were trying to charge me 7k for parts and labor 😫😱 I turned around and said I can build a dope ass motor that's not even stock for less πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’― so this is my mission once again please help!

I am trying to think of a way to explain just how big your request is. There is no short answer nor can someone just write a step by step guide. I don't want to discourage you because the STEALERships are insane. I am all for doing it yourself. Saves money and you know it is done right. It is a huge job without the experience. I would definitely suggest doing some homework, buying some repair/rebuild manuals, and even befriending someone that is familiar with mechanics. It CAN be done so do not give up. I wish I had a guide to point you in the right direction.

Welcome to the club, these guys are super knowledgable about the TC. I did find a website with rebuild manuals. Hopefully this will help to point you in the right direction to start on your engine. http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/page/141465

• Apr 16, 2017 12:41:43 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by aervin on Apr 16, 2017 12:42:13pm.
    1. Long block refers to the motor with the head on it, short refers to the block without the head.
    2. Yes you can resurface.
    3. Pistons and rods are the typical. Bearings and seals all around as well. Sky is the limit, and your wallet.
    4. Probably not with such a minor increase. Can always measure the head gasket to know for sure.
    5. Cams are easy to swap. Simple hand tools are all that's needed. But you'll want a tune with new cams.

With something like this, you'll really want a shop to be involved so I'd recommend looking around for a shop in your area that works with Toyotas or imports in general and talk with them about the possibilities and pricing. Then you'll know where you can save money or can do the work yourself to save on labor charges.
Tags: 2az fe help rebuild
  • 3 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: