Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
More Tech Talk and Help Threads
Viewing Thread

2014 scion tc steering wheel shake

• 7 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Jul 08, 2018 6:40:16 pm
    So i just got this 2014 tc and at 75-77mph i get a slight steering wheel vibration. Now my dealership has already balanced my tires, machined the rotors, allignment,tires are perfect. my car still shakes at this speed tomorrow will be the third time im bringing it back is there anything we are missing?
    • Jul 09, 2018 4:42:49 am
    AlphaWiskey wrote:
    So i just got this 2014 tc and at 75-77mph i get a slight steering wheel vibration. Now my dealership has already balanced my tires, machined the rotors, allignment,tires are perfect. my car still shakes at this speed tomorrow will be the third time im bringing it back is there anything we are missing?

yup, it could be a bent wheel or the tire could be defective. I've had tires in the past that vibrated right around the speed you're talking about, and they were bad tires. Only solution I had was dump them and get something else. In other cases the wheels were bent but only so small that the human eye would NEVER see it. If your dealer has a hunter roadforce balancer, it has a feature to measure the wheel to see if it's bent at all.

There's one other issue, bad wheel bearings. But those usually vibrate all the way from around 35mph up to highway speed. And since yours is a specific range of speed, then I'd go with bad wheel or tire.
    • Jul 09, 2018 4:45:07 am
    also.. I would NEVER roadforce a tire with that hunter machine. There are tire manufacturers that will void a warranty if a roadforce machine was applied to a tire. Why? Because it puts abotu 1400lbs or so onto the tire to measure the tire, problem is, not all tires are rates for 1400lbs of pressure! Put that pressure on a tire that only supports around 1000lbs, you just damaged the tire! Regular balancing is good enough, seriously.. but just putting it out there.
    • Jul 09, 2018 5:04:20 pm
    My dealer said they are going to throw 4 new tires on and inspect my wheels and see where that gets us im hoping it will do the job
    • Jul 09, 2018 10:34:59 pm
    AlphaWiskey wrote:
    My dealer said they are going to throw 4 new tires on and inspect my wheels and see where that gets us im hoping it will do the job

Thanks for the update, definitely keep us posted as how it goes. At least your dealership is taking you seriously, that's a good thing! Many causes but they're troubleshooting best they can. Like I said before mine was sometimes bad tires, and sometimes the wheels were bad. I took one of the bare wheels to discount tire and they measured the runout of the wheels, it was just on the edge of acceptable run-out.. In my book, that's a fail.

anyway, sounds like you're heading in the right direction to fix it..keep us posted.
    • Jul 17, 2018 5:15:12 pm
    Thanks for all the responses! Made an appointment for next tuesday for the delaer to inspect my wheels and slap on my new tires. They took me serious because i know alot about dealers my dad has been in the automotive world for like 25 years specifically toyota and a close family friend is a toyota master mechanic so ive had a couple insider tips haha
    • Jul 19, 2018 7:10:08 pm
    AlphaWiskey wrote:
    Thanks for all the responses! Made an appointment for next tuesday for the delaer to inspect my wheels and slap on my new tires. They took me serious because i know alot about dealers my dad has been in the automotive world for like 25 years specifically toyota and a close family friend is a toyota master mechanic so ive had a couple insider tips haha

hey you're welcome! Good deal, so next tuesday, can't wait to see what they find out! Wheels or tires.. hmm... I'm gonna place a bet, that it's the tires. I could be wrong, but fun to place a bet! keep us posted..
  • 7 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: