Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
More Tech Talk and Help Threads
Viewing Thread

2007 tc release 3.0 taillights

• 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • May 08, 2017 8:05:36 am
    My daughters tc release 3.0 has the led tyc taillights and the right one is filling with water and burning out the bulbs. The part number on the outside says 11-5987 R. I need to replace this or she would like to buy black aftermarket set and replace both. Most pairs I have found on ebay state that they are NOT for cars with led's. Looks like the wiring is the problem? Is there a harness that will fix this or do you have to cut / splice all the wiring? Does anyone has a used one or a used set that will bolt on and plug in? Again she would really like to go to the blacked out taillights if it is not a major problem. Need help and answers soon, Thanks for your site and forums, Don.
    • May 10, 2017 11:34:19 am
    enduro97 wrote:
    My daughters tc release 3.0 has the led tyc taillights and the right one is filling with water and burning out the bulbs. The part number on the outside says 11-5987 R. I need to replace this or she would like to buy black aftermarket set and replace both. Most pairs I have found on ebay state that they are NOT for cars with led's. Looks like the wiring is the problem? Is there a harness that will fix this or do you have to cut / splice all the wiring? Does anyone has a used one or a used set that will bolt on and plug in? Again she would really like to go to the blacked out taillights if it is not a major problem. Need help and answers soon, Thanks for your site and forums, Don.

the LED lights did have a different wiring sub-harness adapter. If you want to use aftermarket lights just go to the dealer and get the regular sub-harness adapter. Also while you're there, have them look up the info you need about these accessory LED TYC lights, since they were a toyota dealer accessory/upgrade. The lights (as far as I know) are not available anymore. But the dealer could at least show you what you would need. They have all the parts diagrams.

Also..If they are leaking they can be baked in the oven, to separate the lens from the body, then seal it, and put it back together. If you don't want to do that, then your only option is to get aftermarket. Then again, 10 years for lights isn't a bad life span.
    • May 11, 2017 6:32:58 am
    I can not find aftermarket ones that are right for her car, they all say NOT for cars with LED taillights? So maybe with aftermarket taillights you would also have to change the harness? Seems like if that's the case they would say something like " with these lights you need to change the harness also" and sell you that part also if installing on a car with LED's? I can't believe toyota would have 2 different complete wiring harness's in these cars, one for LED's and one for stock taillights. I mean, what did the dealers change when they added the LED's? Seems like I should be able to buy aftermarkets and maybe stock TC harnesses and be all set? My daughter works all the time and really need to figure this out so I can fix it say in one afternoon. Thank you for your thoughts, you are the only reply I've got and I hoped to have this figured out by now and repaired. I guess these release cars are rare be I can't believe some other folks haven't had the same issues and maybe have the solution.
    • May 11, 2017 6:37:59 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by sciontc_mich on May 11, 2017 6:39:46am.
    you're welcome for the reply. It's a little slow around here, but a lot may not know about the dealer tail lights, they were an accessory for the first gen tC and not many people bought them because they were wayyyyy expensive! People bought the aftermarket ones instead. What you need to do is go to the dealer and have them show you the part diagram for those dealer tail lights. it's not the entire wiring harness, it's just the sub harness that goes into the lights. the main wiring harness is all the same.

Look up some of the aftermarket LED tail lights, the installation instructions will explain it much better.. should be able to find them at the manufacturer's website.

EDIT: yes you should be able to get the regular tail light sub harness and hook that into the aftermarket tail lights. Again, check the manufacturer's website they should have the install instructions to explain what you need.
    • May 11, 2017 6:52:11 am
    Sorry I missed that in your first reply that I can possibly use the stock sub-harness and aftermarket taillights. If the harnesses are to costly I have pick and pull auto parts yards nearby that I'm sure would have some stock TC's. I could search the yard and pull the parts I need. If I got real lucky I could find a rs3 with a good set of taillight!!! Or in my case just the passenger side, Thanks for all your help, Don.
    • May 11, 2017 9:00:03 pm
    enduro97 wrote:
    Sorry I missed that in your first reply that I can possibly use the stock sub-harness and aftermarket taillights. If the harnesses are to costly I have pick and pull auto parts yards nearby that I'm sure would have some stock TC's. I could search the yard and pull the parts I need. If I got real lucky I could find a rs3 with a good set of taillight!!! Or in my case just the passenger side, Thanks for all your help, Don.

yeah the dealer at least can show you the different parts diagrams, you'd get a better picture of what's going on. but a junk yard could help too for cheaper. I know that some of those tail lights did start leaking and people would bake them to break the seal around the lens to reseal it. Others had parts of the LED's go dark. Gotta remember that 10 years ago LED's were not as reliable as they are now. They've definitely gotten a LOT better! but you're welcome for the help.. let us know how it goes.
    • May 11, 2017 11:22:42 pm
    Sorry for not replying. I had no idea about the issue. Was hopeful someone would know what to do. I am definitely interested in following this to hear how you fixed the issue.

• May 12, 2017 1:06:42 am
    There are 4 ways you can go on your RS3 Tail Light:

1. New RS3 Replacement Tail Light.
    Be aware that Release Series are Special Vehicles. They Require your VIN# and are Special Order through your Toyota Parts Dept. They are Not Listed on the stock Parts List for the Base Models. All Special Order Parts require Pre-Payment.

2. New Aftermarket LED Tail Lights: These LED Tail Lights are Plug & Play. They Do Not require a Special Harness Adapter. Go to 2007 tC LED Tail Lights HERE

Install Instructions for Spyder LED Black/Red Tail Lights $227.69 pr.
    Install Instructions for Anzo Black LED Tail Lights $318.76 pr.

3. Buy New stock Tail Light for Base Model 2007 tC. Normally does not require a VIN# But, however the 2007 tC require a VIN# because of a Manufacturing Date Change in APR 2007:

BEFORE APR 2007: P/N 81551-21230 List Price $150.70 apiece.
    AFTER APR 2007: P/N 81551-21240 List Price $138.60 apiece.
    They can be found Online new for around $100-$120 apiece.

4. Buy a Used Tail Light. Do a SEARCH with the Above P/Ns. Some Salvage yards may have the used parts. A lot of dealers are found on eBay. Prices will vary depending on Condition. IMHO, the chances of you finding a RS3 Tail Light or even a stock tail lights in Good condition at a Pick and Pull yard are Slim and None. They are among the 1st things that get pick off.

MR_LUV

• May 12, 2017 5:55:24 am
    Thanks for your responses everyone, just the info I was looking for! I'll talk to my daughter now and see which way she wants to go. Also I have had very good luck in my local recycling yards around here finding parts I need. I went looking for 1974 chevelle parts and found an almost complete s-3 laguna which I quickly removed a door, fender and both side window louvers which are hard to find plus 5 matching rally rims all for less than $100.! That was around 20 years ago now but what an awesome find! Again Thanks and I'll know where to go if I have more questions, Don.
    • May 14, 2017 11:36:18 am
    ya let us know how it goes!

and MR_LUV is referring to the RS LED tail lights.

The ones I was talking about were the dealer accessory installed lights. Again, (like I was talking about before) you might want to take a trip to the dealer and ask them what's still available. Sometimes dealers have new, old stock laying around either at the dealer or in their local warehouse! I know that with another car I have, I was looking for old, new parts, some dealers couldn't even get them. Others still had them! So it pays to call around. Depends on what you want to do.

Either way, let us know how it works out.
  • 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: