Club Scion tC

Site DoS
It appears the site has been targeted by some not happy people and attempting to DoS us, causing some hellaciously slow page loading. We have banned most of Croatia/Russia for the time being! Apologies!
Forum Utilities
More Scion Events / Meets Threads
Viewing Thread

Lowering Springs/Wheel Spacers

• 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Feb 07, 2018 5:15:31 pm
    I have a 2008 tc with stock rims and suspension. I’m on a budget so i planned on keeping the stock rims, but I wanted to change the stance and ride height. I was looking into buying wheel spacers and lowering springs but I’m not sure if there are any real dangers, risks, or consequences to these mods. Any help would be appreciated.
    • Feb 12, 2018 12:12:14 am
    08ManualTC wrote:
    I have a 2008 tc with stock rims and suspension. I’m on a budget so i planned on keeping the stock rims, but I wanted to change the stance and ride height. I was looking into buying wheel spacers and lowering springs but I’m not sure if there are any real dangers, risks, or consequences to these mods. Any help would be appreciated.

simple, by changing the offset (Creating stance) you're changing the kingpin axis, which is the imaginary center line of the suspension through the middle of the wheel. Many people do it, and that's their budget, pay to play.. But for me I wouldn't stance, because once you start screwing around with what the suspension engineers designed you never end up with good results.. blown cv joints, hubs, ball joints, wheel bearings.. all for a "look"? Hey if you have the $$$ to spend for the repairs. But I wouldn't do it..

Lowering was designed into the tC from the beginning, they planned for it. But go beyond I think about 2.75 or is it 3 inches.. that's the limit of the design, and axles begin to destroy themselves, the angle is too extreme.

but it's cool you asked, most just go do it without researching the consequences. welcome to cstc!
    • Feb 12, 2018 7:15:34 am
    Thanks for the response, definitely will consider this
    • Feb 12, 2018 10:14:18 am
    08ManualTC wrote:
    Thanks for the response, definitely will consider this

hey you're welcome! yeah when you begin to look at the chassis engineering in a suspension then you'll see all these technical terms that are involved. Not to be sounding boring, but when you realize the load stresses you're introducing by going outside the design specs (such as stance) then you can see how it's gonna cost more $$$ down the road.

I know I could possibly get people who want to defend my view on it. With them saying "oh no you're wrong, that never happened to me".. Give it time, it will.. Can't re-write the laws of physics.

Another thing to think about with stance.. Everything being flush/lowered. Then think of where is the tire/wheel supposed to go when you hit bumps? That's why there's always a bit of overhand in the wheel well on any production car. Tire has to move upward if it hits a bump, called wheel travel.

Now lowering can be done well, nothing wrong with it, as long as the suspension is designed to take it.. anyway, Im just kinda repeating what I said earlier. Definitely do some digging online and learn about the angles involved in a suspension then you can see for yourself how stance is just show not performance.
  • 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: