Club Scion tC

Site DoS
It appears the site has been targeted by some not happy people and attempting to DoS us, causing some hellaciously slow page loading. We have banned most of Croatia/Russia for the time being! Apologies!
Forum Utilities
More New Member Introductions Threads
Viewing Thread

New project

• 23 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
    • Jan 24, 2018 9:32:29 pm
    Hey everyone, just bought a tc for $700 bucks, pretty excited, lots of work to do as you can imagine for 700 bucks. Cranks locked up, some bad wiring from aftermarket lights, sound systems etc, gonna be a fun adventure, I’ll keep you all posted.
    • Jan 25, 2018 9:57:45 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by sciontc_mich on Jan 25, 2018 9:58:16pm.
    Chibfoo wrote:
    Hey everyone, just bought a tc for $700 bucks, pretty excited, lots of work to do as you can imagine for 700 bucks. Cranks locked up, some bad wiring from aftermarket lights, sound systems etc, gonna be a fun adventure, I’ll keep you all posted.

I was looking at your profile, seeing that you're a new member.. Welcome to CSTC! But looking at the pictures I thought "what the heck happened!? WOW!!" then read your first post! Now it makes sense. What the hell were they thinking? Just rip into a car, and not know what to do.. sad! This is what's happening to a lot of tC's!

but I see in your profile you're in "technical school" what kind is that? automotive?
    You do have a good amount of work for your tC project! but for $700, can't complain! I have a feeling you're going to give the tC the professional level of care it really needs! I think this is going to turn out really well! Just feeling that.

definitely keep us posted!
    • Jan 26, 2018 4:16:58 pm
    Welcome to the club!! OMG someone tore through her. The exterior looks good. Nice score by the way!! You definitely have your work cut out. I'm not sure if you can get a Haynes or Chilton manual for your car. There's not one available for a 14, yet? Definitely keep us posted so we can watch your build. It's exciting to watch a build. If you need any help let us know.
    • Jan 26, 2018 7:09:47 pm
    Thank you! I actually went to a school an studied automotive for 2 years, worked at a Toyota dealer for 5 years. Decided I wanted a change of pace so decided to go to a technical college for cnc machining and programming, which is what I’ve been doing for the past 6 years. I know she’s pretty rough but I have hope that with time I can make her like new again. I pulled an entire box full of wiring out from under the dash. Two sub power wires, one ground, street glow lighting wires that were cut from under the dash, which are still busted up under the car, an aftermarket alarm system that no longer works and 4 interior neon lights that were all wired up but did not work. Just going to get all that junk out and rewire it back to factory. Evaluate the engine, not sure why the crank is locked as of yet, it does have a long ram intake, could’ve sucked up water, could’ve ran it out of oil, chain might have snapped who knows, Sorry for the long read just trying to explain a little, she’s been ran into the dirt and has enough wiring to put Christmas lights on my house next year. I’ll post some pics when I pull the engine so we can all see what the culprit is.
    • Jan 27, 2018 4:50:15 pm
    Chibfoo wrote:
    Thank you! I actually went to a school an studied automotive for 2 years, worked at a Toyota dealer for 5 years. Decided I wanted a change of pace so decided to go to a technical college for cnc machining and programming, which is what I’ve been doing for the past 6 years. I know she’s pretty rough but I have hope that with time I can make her like new again. I pulled an entire box full of wiring out from under the dash. Two sub power wires, one ground, street glow lighting wires that were cut from under the dash, which are still busted up under the car, an aftermarket alarm system that no longer works and 4 interior neon lights that were all wired up but did not work. Just going to get all that junk out and rewire it back to factory. Evaluate the engine, not sure why the crank is locked as of yet, it does have a long ram intake, could’ve sucked up water, could’ve ran it out of oil, chain might have snapped who knows, Sorry for the long read just trying to explain a little, she’s been ran into the dirt and has enough wiring to put Christmas lights on my house next year. I’ll post some pics when I pull the engine so we can all see what the culprit is.

LOL that's a lot of lights!! No sorries, thank you for the explanation. There is still a lot of hope. You have the knowledge so that is half the battle. When she is finished you will have a good car. Your Honda looks good also.
    • Jan 27, 2018 10:11:17 pm
    Chibfoo wrote:

hey chibfoo, no problem with a long read! We kind of like that around here. That's hilarious because it makes ya wonder what the heck the last owners were thinking, or not thinking! Sad, but true! That's why we get these weird questions around here about why a tC 1st gen (tC1) won't start, etc. As long as they're not just trolls posting stupid stuff.

glad to hear your background, ya, like yotagirl was saying, you definitely have the background/skills to fix this back up to factory shape/condition! That's awesome. It will be interesting to find out why the crank is locked. I know that the 2az-fe engine that the tc1 has did have some issues with the head bolts causing the car to burn coolant. Well if it's because the pistons are locked in the cylinder you'll be the one to be able to fix it. But have to wait to see what you do find instead of just speculating.

I did see (Thanks yotagirl for the reference) your honda! Electron Blue pearl! that is such an awesome color, could stare at that all day! I have a 96 Civic coupe over here! It's my project civic car. How funny is that, tC owners have a Honda thing too, we have the same cars! well mine isn't an Si, but same model, coupe.. I did put the 99 rear sway bar on my coupe. neuspeed front strut bar, spec-d rear strut bar, I could list all the stuff all day.. but.. I gotta find a good body shop around here to fix some rust holes in the windshield apron area. Had one stupid shop (since that part is not available anymore) tell me to salvage the car. Just because they're not metal workers, just parts replacers, no thanks. Luckily the windshield guy just sealed up the holes (for now, temp fix) with urethane. I could understand if the chassis/frame was rusted through, but this is just down by the windshield area not the a-pillars. anyway.. you have your tC as a project car, and your honda is perfect. Mine is the civic is the project and the tC is the good one. had to mention it!

keep us posted be interesting to follow your progress.
    • Jan 30, 2018 2:53:27 pm
    A lot of shops don’t want to mess with rust anymore,I’m not sure why that is, I think my uncle said something about them worrying it’ll come back through and they’ll end up having to fix it later. It is hard to find a good body shop that can do metal fab. I tracked down the original owner of this tc because I had to have him sign the title over to me since the kid I bought it from never titled it. Turns out it did indeed suck up water through the injen long ram intake, which I’m definitely removing, I personally don’t see the point in them, I mean with a good tune maybe a little more power? But in my opinion the risk isn’t worth the addition, so now I know that I do have a hydrolocked engine that has a crank that won’t turn. So now I’m thinking the head is probably okay, no visible damage through the exhaust ports, will know more soon as I pull it out. I probably could’ve torn it down in the car but I wanted to put a new clutch in anyway so I figured I might as well pull it out. Yeah that Honda was my baby for a long time. I miss it a lot. It had a GReddy turbo kit in it with an edelbrock Victor x intake and an aem fuel rail. I think on the dyno it was pushing 270is at 186lbs of torque on 8 psi. I had a blitz boost controller set up in it and cranked it up to 12lbs to race this mustang. While i was running the crap out of it, oil started spraying all over the windshield through the vents on the hood, pulled over and realized the dipstick tube had slid out, about three months later after tearing it down I found that I had shattered the lands in between the rings.
    • Jan 30, 2018 7:02:28 pm
    Chibfoo wrote:
    A lot of shops don’t want to mess with rust anymore,I’m not sure why that is, I think my uncle said something about them worrying it’ll come back through and they’ll end up having to fix it later. It is hard to find a good body shop that can do metal fab. I tracked down the original owner of this tc because I had to have him sign the title over to me since the kid I bought it from never titled it. Turns out it did indeed suck up water through the injen long ram intake, which I’m definitely removing, I personally don’t see the point in them, I mean with a good tune maybe a little more power? But in my opinion the risk isn’t worth the addition, so now I know that I do have a hydrolocked engine that has a crank that won’t turn. So now I’m thinking the head is probably okay, no visible damage through the exhaust ports, will know more soon as I pull it out. I probably could’ve torn it down in the car but I wanted to put a new clutch in anyway so I figured I might as well pull it out. Yeah that Honda was my baby for a long time. I miss it a lot. It had a GReddy turbo kit in it with an edelbrock Victor x intake and an aem fuel rail. I think on the dyno it was pushing 270is at 186lbs of torque on 8 psi. I had a blitz boost controller set up in it and cranked it up to 12lbs to race this mustang. While i was running the crap out of it, oil started spraying all over the windshield through the vents on the hood, pulled over and realized the dipstick tube had slid out, about three months later after tearing it down I found that I had shattered the lands in between the rings.

ok now I'm sad..electron blue pearl Si has died.. Oh wait.. did you rebuild it? And still drive it? Or that was just gone after that?

I don't know what the heck is wrong with these so-called body shops. Metal fab, that's the word I was looking for. Nothing is perfect, so they do the work and 7+ years down the road it comes back.. so what.. but I know what you're saying they way they're looking at it. First rust repair that dad did when he has this civic was back in 07, and it's falling apart (wheel wells) now, which is.. let's do the math.. 11 years! heck that's fine with me!

I agree with these cheaply designed CAI's, they can suck in water. When done right like the TRD one MRLUV has, I wouldn't worry at all about that. Because it's designed to not suck water in!

I also like your idea of pulling the engine out of the bay. That way you can get a clearer picture of anything else the previous owner did! Like SURPRISE! And ya a new clutch would be much easier to put in if everything was out. Oh let me tell you about a place I would NOT get a clutch from, place called Action Clutch. I tried to get one from them for the civic, it was really poorly made. Just letting ya know they thought that everything they made was heaven's gift to man.. lol.. sad.

Thanks for the update, I'll be interested to hear what ya find!
    • Jan 31, 2018 9:52:17 am
    I totally agree with the rust problem, 11 years is perfectly fine, heck, Chevy trucks from factory don’t even get that haha. I did not know that there were better designed long rams that were designed to not suck up water, I live around St. Louis so flash floods are a fairly regular thing, so it may still make me nervous. I’d be curious to see how they work. Maybe rig one up to a shop vac and stick it in a bucket and see how it goes. I actually did rebuild the si engine, put an act clutch in it, and drove it for awhile n/a. Sold the parts online and just put a header on it, then traded it in later because the tranny was popping out in third and fourth gear. That clutch was a good clutch though, it did make a weird sound in neutral though like a light sanding sound. But it worked great so I didn’t worry. I do miss it though. Looking forward to seeing what this tc is like when it’s done. I use to love driving them at the dealership when they’d come off the transport. The only thing I didn’t like was where the clutch engaged on the pedal, it seemed like it was a little to high.
    • Feb 01, 2018 10:36:05 pm
    Chibfoo wrote:
    I totally agree with the rust problem, 11 years is perfectly fine, heck, Chevy trucks from factory don’t even get that haha. I did not know that there were better designed long rams that were designed to not suck up water, I live around St. Louis so flash floods are a fairly regular thing, so it may still make me nervous. I’d be curious to see how they work. Maybe rig one up to a shop vac and stick it in a bucket and see how it goes. I actually did rebuild the si engine, put an act clutch in it, and drove it for awhile n/a. Sold the parts online and just put a header on it, then traded it in later because the tranny was popping out in third and fourth gear. That clutch was a good clutch though, it did make a weird sound in neutral though like a light sanding sound. But it worked great so I didn’t worry. I do miss it though. Looking forward to seeing what this tc is like when it’s done. I use to love driving them at the dealership when they’d come off the transport. The only thing I didn’t like was where the clutch engaged on the pedal, it seemed like it was a little to high.

ya with as much water you get over there with the mississippi river, probably best to stick with the stock air intake or if TRD has one.. that's if TRD still makes em for the 1st gen tC. Stuff is slowly being phased out.

so the ACT clutch was ok? I was hearing all this bad stuff about ACT but I bet it was those trolls from Action Clutch putting down anything but their product. Was your ACT a full face street or the race puck design? I remember the 3rd/4th gear pppping out, it's when I rebuilt the trans with new synchros and I think I might have replaced the internal shift forks too. But I wasn't even pulling as much HP as you were, and mine still died.

ya the tC is similar to the Si, but it its own way. Here's some info most people probably dont know because they did remove it from the internet. Back in 04 when the tC was first intro'd there were lots of stories of how the tC was developed, being the first model exclusive to scion. In all those stories was a part about Lotus wanted the 1.8L engine from the celica for their elan I think it was. Toyota told Lotus that if they wanted the engines, they could buy them but they'd have to tune the suspension for the tC1 (1st gen). Toyota was having trouble tuning something sporty, not sure why, unless they were so used to making mushy camry suspensions, lol.. But Lotus agreed and tuned it. I know what I read back then, I dont think I kept a copy and of course it's removed off the internet now.. but there ya go.

so I think that it can definitely hold its own. People make fun of it, but it's a unique car that has some really cool features. What I like about it, is that you can drive for miles and miles and when you get out you're not that exhausted.

ahh yeah the clutch engagement, I remember it was like 3/4 high when I test drove them. They had many issues with the synchros and on one I test drove, I could hear the synchro "crunching" even in idle! I opted for the auto because I couldn't take a chance back then of another trans issue. It was the same trans as the celica, and at the dealer service dept they showed me a stack of TSB's for the celica! Then pointed out into the garage and it was like 2 or 3 celicas on the lift for trans replacements!

Definitely check your trans out while you have it out. but thanks for the update, it'll be really awesome to see you build this back up!
    • Feb 02, 2018 4:25:17 am
    That’s really awesome about the suspension being designed by lotus. I had what I would call, sort of a privilege driving a used Elise. I am a big guy, 6”2’ 38’ waist, yeah putting a guy like me in an Elise is like putting a pooh bear in a tree. Once I was actually in it, it was very fun to drive, I felt like I was in a go kart with a full frame. It’s not a car you would want to take a first date out on, but it is super fun to drive. My act clutch was a full disc design and I will tell you my opinion of why. I had a friend that put a pucked clutch in his car, and when you let off the clutch, there is no cushion at all, it is straight engine+transmission+cv shafts. Unless you’ve decided, this is my play car only, I would strongly not recommend it. It is very uncomfortable and very hard on the transmission, cv joints etc. not that the act clutch I had saved the cv joints much, I replaced them twice for free through oreillys warranty until they said something else must be wrong, you know like launching your car on 8 lbs of boost or something. Needless to say though, the upgraded cv shafts are insanely expensive, but necessary if you rip on the Honda. For me it was a vibration around 60 mph, much like a tire out of balance. If act offers a decent price for your set up, I’d take a chance on one, from experience. As far as my tc goes, you’re right, it probably would be a good idea to tear it down and replace wear components internally, seeing as I have no idea how many miles are on that transmission. I’m not sure about clutch brands either, I definitely want something in the middle, comfortable, but with some bite to get the job done. I still have the old act clutch sitting on the garage wall at my dads, I will send you some pics of it with the pressure plate.
    • Feb 02, 2018 4:29:15 am
    Oh and for fun, I’ll send you some pics of my old pistons with the cracked lands, so you can see what 12 psi on stock internals will do if you’re curious haha
    • Feb 02, 2018 6:43:33 pm

hahaha pooh bear in a tree! Love it! Thanks for explaining how the Elise drove! reminds me of the 91 CRX Si I used to have. I'm a big guy too and would resort to putting my hand on the ground to get out! yeah Lotus ended up tuning the suspension telling Toyota what to make. I know when I get back to my tC (in storage right now) I'll be replacing the suspension with the stock (but new) suspension pieces. Adding the TRD rear sway bar (new links too). I like how the stock suspension is stiff/taut when it's needed and comfortable when not needed. Amazing they did that with 45 series rubber! nice.. I also like the heft/weight of the steering, it's because they made the steering column post (can't think of the name) a larger diameter. I like it has a Euro feel to it. Well just to add, the tC is the Avensis in europe and japan! On some tC's (Early models) when you take the rear side panels off, where the rear speakers are.. You'll see a cut out in the stamped steel of where the rear door handle would be for the avensis! Talk about doing the minimum to get the car to two-door status! love it! Also, to let ya know while I'm talking random things.. the roof crush test was excellent with the tC1. They push on the a-pillar/roof to see how much pressure it takes to move that 2inches. Took 4.8 times the weight of the tC to crush it! Not only is it safe, but a stiff chassis does wonders for handling! I think you're going to have an awesome build when you get done!

about the ACT brand clutch, glad to hear it was a full face with the springs to cushion the engagement. Oh and I agree with you I'd never use a puck version clutch for the street. Insanely rough for daily driven cars. I hear you about the axles, lots of vibration-prone axles on the market! Even for the tC! I went with a small shop called Raxles.com who took the factory ones and rebuilt them. Only keeping the shafts. I know they make an upgraded axle this is VERY expensive! I went with the regular/stock ones and what's funny is the master tech at the shop said the raxles part looked better than what Honda was shipping new! That's a compliment! But I did contact raxles to see if they supply tC axles, nope no toyota parts.. Oh well..

Luckily the axles are still available directly from Toyota. And a lot of people who buy aftermarket eventually give up and get the Toyota ones once they're tired of the vibrations.

You know I think ACT makes a clutch for the tC. So you can still go back to what you were used to. And hey you're welcome about the idea to check/rebuild the trans while you're in there! I think someone had a hardened syncro/gear set for the tC. Can't remember the name right now though.

yeah send some pics of the old act clutch, not trying to hijack the thread guess it's turning into a re-build import thread.

and please also post up those pics of the pistons!
    • Feb 09, 2018 10:43:53 am
    Sorry I haven’t posted in awhile. Been having some issues with my back. I’ve had a lot of trouble with disc degenerative disease and it gives me bad fits a lot. I’m almost done pulling the engine, the only thing left other than the 4 mounts, is the drivers side cv shaft, and let me tell you, everything else was a breeze compared to this dumb shaft. I’ve pulled out tons of them and it is a fighter. It is not a factory shaft, has a different look, different axle nut on it, it’s a 32 mm six point instead of the 30 mm 12 point on the other side. Came out of the bearing easy, unlike the other side that I had to heat up and drive out with a punch and a 4lb (BFH). But anyway the lock ring is in there tight, I even used a slide hammer and still can’t get it out. Thinking about just pulling the hole boot apart and slotting the axle housing so I can get some leverage to pop that lock ring. It also doesn’t help that it’s in a horrible spot, might break the motor mount lose and drop the tranny down enough to get access to it with a pry bar, watched a few videos and seems like this is a problem for most people. I asked my old co worker at Toyota about it and said you just have to get behind it and put some force on it, but there inlies the problem, getting behind it lol.if any of you have popped this lock ring in a simple fashion please let me know. I did find my old clutch! Could not find my old pistons however, I think my dad must have tossed them for scrap not thinking they had a sentimental value to me. Clutch is still in good shape to if you know anyone that would want it for free. I’d ship it to them.its not down to the rivets or anything, I only replaced it because i had it apart doing the engine swap and didn’t want to replace it again so I put a new one in. But yeah i don’t think I’m gonna put an act clutch back in the tcIt’s about a 450-550 dollar set for the tc and I’m sure someone makes a good clutch kit for half that for what I want to do with it
    • Feb 12, 2018 12:07:33 am
    Chibfoo wrote:
    Sorry I haven’t posted in awhile. Been having some issues with my back. I’ve had a lot of trouble with disc degenerative disease and it gives me bad fits a lot. I’m almost done pulling the engine, the only thing left other than the 4 mounts, is the drivers side cv shaft, and let me tell you, everything else was a breeze compared to this dumb shaft. I’ve pulled out tons of them and it is a fighter. It is not a factory shaft, has a different look, different axle nut on it, it’s a 32 mm six point instead of the 30 mm 12 point on the other side. Came out of the bearing easy, unlike the other side that I had to heat up and drive out with a punch and a 4lb (BFH). But anyway the lock ring is in there tight, I even used a slide hammer and still can’t get it out. Thinking about just pulling the hole boot apart and slotting the axle housing so I can get some leverage to pop that lock ring. It also doesn’t help that it’s in a horrible spot, might break the motor mount lose and drop the tranny down enough to get access to it with a pry bar, watched a few videos and seems like this is a problem for most people. I asked my old co worker at Toyota about it and said you just have to get behind it and put some force on it, but there inlies the problem, getting behind it lol.if any of you have popped this lock ring in a simple fashion please let me know. I did find my old clutch! Could not find my old pistons however, I think my dad must have tossed them for scrap not thinking they had a sentimental value to me. Clutch is still in good shape to if you know anyone that would want it for free. I’d ship it to them.its not down to the rivets or anything, I only replaced it because i had it apart doing the engine swap and didn’t want to replace it again so I put a new one in. But yeah i don’t think I’m gonna put an act clutch back in the tcIt’s about a 450-550 dollar set for the tc and I’m sure someone makes a good clutch kit for half that for what I want to do with it

hey chibfoo! no problem you not posting, hope ya get to feeling better with your back! I know people with your condition it's not fun! I bet the weather/temp changes don't help either!

Sorry I can't offer any help with the lock ring, sounds like someone put some junk aftermarket in there, and now it's wedged in there tight! I guess you pulling the boot apart to get some leverage does sound like a good idea!

ahh you still have your civic clutch yeah if I hear of anything, I'll definitely let ya know! I know over on honda tech they'd probably take it off your hands. oh wow so that's how much it is for an act clutch for the tC. The other brand that came to mind is exidy, might check that out, but I heard it's a soft clutch, where the stage1 is more like oem. Also price out a clutch from Toyota, mcgeorgeparts.com or sparksparts.com both toyota dealers online with decent prices.. Much lower than the dealer. Unless the dealer will match their prices!

hope ya feel better!! thanks for the updates!
    • Feb 12, 2018 6:30:52 pm
    Well I would have to say even the dealer I worked at, put a 25 dollar mark up on all parts, and that was the ‘employee discount’ lol. It was sad. I will definitely check out the exedy ones and look at some reviews. I did finally get that shaft out and the lock ring was so bad I slipped it off with two fingers, that’s how sprung it was. But now the engine is finally out and I can start to check out the damages. I’ll put a pic up on my page of it
    • Feb 13, 2018 3:48:19 pm
    Chibfoo wrote:
    Well I would have to say even the dealer I worked at, put a 25 dollar mark up on all parts, and that was the ‘employee discount’ lol. It was sad. I will definitely check out the exedy ones and look at some reviews. I did finally get that shaft out and the lock ring was so bad I slipped it off with two fingers, that’s how sprung it was. But now the engine is finally out and I can start to check out the damages. I’ll put a pic up on my page of it

lol.. that was THE employee discount? Somehow I just don't feel the love.. I feel something but it aint love! hahaha..

sure check out exedy, I know the stage 0 or stage 1, I'd have to look again with the civic to see which was which.. but that "upgraded" one is more like the stock/oem version. for the civic at least. I thought that maybe the price wouldn't be bad for the tC. Trying to help you get something good, but at a decent price.

that's awesome to hear! you got that axle out! lol.. wow amazing, just slid the lock ring with your fingers! That's usually something you need pliers for, am I right?

I saw the pics of the engine out.. thanks for that! Now it gets interesting to find out exactly what this engine needs to get back to being good.
    • Feb 15, 2018 4:22:38 pm
    Definitely would need pliers to remove the lock ring, it was stretched out really bad. You know I’ve really been thinking about just getting a used engine, one reason is because whoever owned this thing before messed up the block, the mounting holes for the ac compressor are snapped in half and they had some strange rigged up aluminum bracket holding the compressor on, not to mention when I pull the bottom end apart I’m gonna find a fried crank and probably a bent or broken rod. I do believe the head is salvageable so I will either clean it up at work and sell it or keep it for a spare. Not sure what I want to do to the car yet, probably just going to do a used engine, new intake, clutch kit, new axles and struts and probably keep it at that for now. Also a new power steering pump because i can tell it has been leaking. I did shop around for clutches and the best bang for the buck seems to be the competition clutches. But also I have no way of knowing that either, they just have the best reviews without going hardcore pucked or another strange design. I mean might do a turbo kit eventually like Dezod, but I want to get a feel for it before I do that.
    • Feb 16, 2018 5:47:20 am
    Chibfoo wrote:
    Definitely would need pliers to remove the lock ring, it was stretched out really bad. You know I’ve really been thinking about just getting a used engine, one reason is because whoever owned this thing before messed up the block, the mounting holes for the ac compressor are snapped in half and they had some strange rigged up aluminum bracket holding the compressor on, not to mention when I pull the bottom end apart I’m gonna find a fried crank and probably a bent or broken rod. I do believe the head is salvageable so I will either clean it up at work and sell it or keep it for a spare. Not sure what I want to do to the car yet, probably just going to do a used engine, new intake, clutch kit, new axles and struts and probably keep it at that for now. Also a new power steering pump because i can tell it has been leaking. I did shop around for clutches and the best bang for the buck seems to be the competition clutches. But also I have no way of knowing that either, they just have the best reviews without going hardcore pucked or another strange design. I mean might do a turbo kit eventually like Dezod, but I want to get a feel for it before I do that.

Wow they really screwed over that engine! It's like someone gave these previous owners a tool set and said "hey go play with the engine". And not having a clue they just mangled/destroyed that engine! It's like if you do not know what you're doing then be honest and say you don't know.. lol..

I agree with you completely finding a GOOD used engine to rebuild, etc.. I would do the same thing if I was in your situation. It's easier to start out with a decent base build than having to band-aid fix the junk someone else messed up. Ruined is really the correct word.

competition clutches? that would be more like what they call a stage 1 or stage 2 clutch? I thought that's what you were saying.. let me know, and thanks for the update!
    • Feb 21, 2018 2:29:04 pm
    Yeah they definitely screwed this engine up big time. And whatever lower engine to transmission cover that has the bolts going from the engine side into the bottom of the transmission is completely gone, bolts and all. On my old civic there was like a shim there and it had a cover at the bottom to keep junk from getting into there. I’ll have to go up to the dealership and see a diagram to get the piece that’s missing and the bolts. Yeah I like the reviews on those clutches, people say they have a lot of bite but yet are still smooth, a great medium range as long as it’s not boosted. Which I may do later after I get the car looking and mechanically back in order.the nice part about having a locked up crankshaft. I was able to get the flywheel and pressure plate bolts off without it spinning on me hahaha. I don’t even want to open the bottom end up, it’s gonna be ugly.
Tags: new project
  • 23 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Jump to Forum: