Forum Utilities
More New Member Introductions Threads
Viewing Thread

Hello From Houston

• 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • May 03, 2017 6:15:18 pm
    Hi All,

Big fan of the Toyata lineup and japanese cars in general. Looking to get a TC for my daughter, so I'm here to learn as much as I can!
    • May 03, 2017 8:31:34 pm
    Niko-Fab wrote:
    Hi All,

Big fan of the Toyata lineup and japanese cars in general. Looking to get a TC for my daughter, so I'm here to learn as much as I can!

Hey Niko.. Welcome to CSTC (club scion tc). What year are you looking at for your daughter? There are two generations of tCs. First gen is 05-10 and Second gen is 11-16. But within those generations are updates. Like 05-06 is the same engine, but the 06 got audio steering wheel controls. The 07-10 got the same engine but it was updated with different pistons/rings/oil cooler jets. They are also subject to the lawsuit against Toyota because Toyota used lower tension piston rings, which increases oil consumption. Some are affected and some arent. The 05-06 have regular reflector headlights where 08-10 got the projectors and different tail lights. Getting the idea?

search around here for info that goes back to about 2004 when Scion began. It's a brand that is gone, but Toyota will still keep parts around for awhile. I know on the 05-06 (like mine) the front brakes come from the 2005 celica, air filter is from the corolla/matrix, engine is from the camry, rear brakes are from the Lexus ES, but suspension/exhaust/interior are all unique to the tC. What's nice is with a parts raid that the tC is, it makes it MUCH easier to get parts for it! I really like that about this car!

so enjoy your stay, and if you do find a car you like for your daughter, definitely get the engine checked out. Not because of Toyota's design, but because who knows what the previous owners might have done to it. Compression test, definitely!

• May 03, 2017 9:01:35 pm
    Welcome to CStC!
    • May 04, 2017 8:16:17 pm
    Welcome to the club. You can definitely see many different version and styles of the TC on here. Is she peeking over your shoulder checking out the TCs?
    • May 14, 2017 5:30:34 pm
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    Niko-Fab wrote:
    Hi All,

Hey Niko.. Welcome to CSTC (club scion tc). What year are you looking at for your daughter? There are two generations of tCs. First gen is 05-10 and Second gen is 11-16. But within those generations are updates. Like 05-06 is the same engine, but the 06 got audio steering wheel controls. The 07-10 got the same engine but it was updated with different pistons/rings/oil cooler jets. They are also subject to the lawsuit against Toyota because Toyota used lower tension piston rings, which increases oil consumption. Some are affected and some arent. The 05-06 have regular reflector headlights where 08-10 got the projectors and different tail lights. Getting the idea?

search around here for info that goes back to about 2004 when Scion began. It's a brand that is gone, but Toyota will still keep parts around for awhile. I know on the 05-06 (like mine) the front brakes come from the 2005 celica, air filter is from the corolla/matrix, engine is from the camry, rear brakes are from the Lexus ES, but suspension/exhaust/interior are all unique to the tC. What's nice is with a parts raid that the tC is, it makes it MUCH easier to get parts for it! I really like that about this car!

so enjoy your stay, and if you do find a car you like for your daughter, definitely get the engine checked out. Not because of Toyota's design, but because who knows what the previous owners might have done to it. Compression test, definitely!

Wow that's a lot! Thanks for the input...very appreciated.
    • May 14, 2017 5:30:57 pm
    Spence306 wrote:
    Welcome to CStC!

Thank you!
    • May 14, 2017 5:31:34 pm
    yotagirl wrote:
    Welcome to the club. You can definitely see many different version and styles of the TC on here. Is she peeking over your shoulder checking out the TCs?

Well she's not peeking necessarily...but she's not leaving me alone about it!
    • May 14, 2017 5:38:13 pm
    Niko-Fab wrote:
    Wow that's a lot! Thanks for the input...very appreciated.

yup no problem! Always good to make an informed decision with all the info that's out there.
    • May 17, 2017 11:50:04 pm
    Have you found a TC for her yet or figured out a year to go with? You know you have to post pics so we can see it
  • 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: