Club Scion tC

Image Issues Fixed
We made some changes when migrating the site from one AWS account to another, and this resulted in some ill-configured images in various parts of the site. We have fixed the problem. You may need to clear browser cache to fix the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

Best Head Unit: $200-$300

• 21 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
    I have no idea about head units and what not. No shame in my game admitting it. I'm going to keep my tC longer than expected. I'm buying a new head until and rims/tires. So, I'm asking y'all what is the best head unit with navigation and Bluetooth capabilities. Any suggestions? I would look myself but I have no ideas on brands.
    Kenwood
    Pioneer
    JVC
    Alpine
    You can get a kenwood double din for around 350-400$
    Right now theres a 150 dallor rebate on th pioneer app radio if u have a smart phone imma gonna say thats ur best chooice its 500 bucks then u get the 150 back thro the rebate so its not to bad of a deal
    Pioneer FH-P8000BT loved it wasn't too flashy but had Bluetooth iPod etc. I didn't want any touchscreen and all so this was great. I think it was sub $400 at sonicelectronix when I got it. My .02ยข
    I'd call and price Crutchfield.com, Amazon.com and BestBuy.com. Go with the best price and warranty. Do you have specific options you're looking for in either a single-din or double-din head unit? Don't forget you'll need a wiring harness and dash kit (Metra, Scosche) for example.
    • Edited 1 times, last by SuperWhiteTc06 on .
    Check out sonicelectronix.com when you decide, they usually have the best prices
    Sonicelectronix = best price
    Crutchfield = free wire harness and sometimes dash kit.

However I think OP wants you guys to post specific head units, not just throw out brand names. I'm sure he's aware of the brands and websites, he's asking for you to recommend a certain head unit within his budget and list pros/cons.
    I agree with AnotherDude.. Sonicelectronix has the best prices, Crutchfield has the support after the sale and the install diagrams, kits, wiring harnesses. For a newbie Crutchfield is the way to go. That way if the newbie runs into trouble a call on the phone and it's solved. Crutchfield will stay on the phone with you til it's fixed! no joke! back in the day I had issues with a new headunit, they would troubleshoot til it got fixed. It was actually a metal shield in the dash acting as an antenna for the alternator! They had this mu-foil they sent me to wrap that and instant fix.

Ok anyway, for the original question. there are many many options out there.

There are single din and double din sizes. The double din is like our stock headunit size. have to figure that out first, then other features like usb? ipod? bluetooth?

If you want a nice headunit JVC makes a nice double din size in that price range, there are two.. one is 200 and the other 250

http://www.crutchfield.co...VC-KW-R800BT.html?tp=5684
    http://www.crutchfield.co...VC-KW-R900BT.html?tp=5684

JVC and Kenwood are now sharing production of their products. I think it was about a year or two ago that they merged into a production alliance. So Kenwood and JVC are the same now. which i think is a good thing, Kenwood has always sounded great and JVC has offered features others haven't. Put them together, good merger!
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    I agree with AnotherDude.. Sonicelectronix has the best prices, Crutchfield has the support after the sale and the install diagrams, kits, wiring harnesses. For a newbie Crutchfield is the way to go. That way if the newbie runs into trouble a call on the phone and it's solved. Crutchfield will stay on the phone with you til it's fixed! no joke! back in the day I had issues with a new headunit, they would troubleshoot til it got fixed. It was actually a metal shield in the dash acting as an antenna for the alternator! They had this mu-foil they sent me to wrap that and instant fix.

Ok anyway, for the original question. there are many many options out there.

There are single din and double din sizes. The double din is like our stock headunit size. have to figure that out first, then other features like usb? ipod? bluetooth?

If you want a nice headunit JVC makes a nice double din size in that price range, there are two.. one is 200 and the other 250

http://www.crutchfield.co...VC-KW-R800BT.html?tp=5684
    http://www.crutchfield.co...VC-KW-R900BT.html?tp=5684

JVC and Kenwood are now sharing production of their products. I think it was about a year or two ago that they merged into a production alliance. So Kenwood and JVC are the same now. which i think is a good thing, Kenwood has always sounded great and JVC has offered features others haven't. Put them together, good merger!

Couldn't Agree More w/ your comment! * Thumbs Up!
    Between Pioneer and Kenwood, which one produces better range?
    thanks Cadence!
    AnotherDude wrote:
    Between Pioneer and Kenwood, which one produces better range?

Personally I'd go with JVC Better bang for the buck. If you check out the specs the JVC is putting out a better radio reception section than Kenwood is. 9.2dbf is more sensitive than 11.2dbf, and I think that's important for a radio section to be the most sensitive it can be. Funny that they're produced at the same factory, guess it's not entirely the same between JVC and Kenwood there are SOME differences.

Plus kenwood hasn't embraced the new CEA-2006 standard for measuring amplifier output. Before that standard you didn't really know if they were giving a spec for the entire audio bandwidth from 20hz-20khz for the wattage output or if it was only for one frequency like 1khz. it's a way to lie and say an amp is more powerful than it would be if you were listening to it, if they told you the wattage but only tested that power at 1khz frequency.

so in conclusion, lol.. JVC has embraced the cea-2006 standard of amps.. and i'd believe that one over one that didn't quote that standard.

If I may also add, I'm using the same JVC Double-Din Head Unit that was in my tC which was recently installed in my Cruze and is like approx 6 yrs old. I recently bought a Crime Stopper Rear-View Back-Up Camera that works so nicely w/ the JVC's 7'' touch screen. Its still going strong, no glitches what so ever and works awesome.

Secondly, the options that JVC offers are the same as Alpine for less the cost. I know everyone will have their likes and dislikes for products, so on that note I am agreeing w/ the OP for JVC.
    AnotherDude wrote:
    Sonicelectronix = best price
    Crutchfield = free wire harness and sometimes dash kit.

However I think OP wants you guys to post specific head units, not just throw out brand names. I'm sure he's aware of the brands and websites, he's asking for you to recommend a certain head unit within his budget and list pros/cons.

Indeed I was looking for specific head unit recommendations. I appreciate everyone's input, regardless. As I stated Bluetooth (to use with my iPhone) is a must. My Grand Cherokee has spoiled me in that regard. I'd like to add in the future a back up cam. USB and touch screen would be nice but not a do-or-die, but if I can get it for under $300 I'll swing with it.
    Apotheosis wrote:
    http://www.kenwoodusa.com...-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/

And thanks to Apoth I'm going to end up spending more than $300 cause now I want this one:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com...ation/Mobile_Video/DDX770
    I really liked my kenwood double din for the time that I had it. It sounded great with my sub and was pretty user friendly. I would recommend kenwood!
    There are many single din and double din head unit in the market in 200-300$. Cost range depends on Din types.
    Check this article, it's cover with best double din and single din head unit. So that you can choose your perfect one.

10 BEST HEAD UNIT (SINGLE DIN+DOUBLE DIN) | ULTIMATE GUIDE
  • 21 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Jump to Forum: