Club Scion tC

Image Issues Fixed
We made some changes when migrating the site from one AWS account to another, and this resulted in some ill-configured images in various parts of the site. We have fixed the problem. You may need to clear browser cache to fix the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

Rear brake pads wearing much faster than front?

  • 5 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 1
    I've been hearing a little squeal during braking recently (no issues with stopping power) so I figured I need to rotate my tires anyway and I could take a look. What I found confused the hell out of me. I believe these pads are around 8 years old but from what my completely inexperienced eyes are telling me, the front pads are basically pristine and the back pads are.... well I can't see them. Are they just super worn down? What could be causing that? Before someone thinks I've been driving around with the e-brake engaged, I really don't think that's it. Buying new pads to install this weekend...

    Images: https://imgur.com/a/gCAoSuD
    boarderboy wrote:
    I've been hearing a little squeal during braking recently (no issues with stopping power) so I figured I need to rotate my tires anyway and I could take a look. What I found confused the hell out of me. I believe these pads are around 8 years old but from what my completely inexperienced eyes are telling me, the front pads are basically pristine and the back pads are.... well I can't see them. Are they just super worn down? What could be causing that? Before someone thinks I've been driving around with the e-brake engaged, I really don't think that's it. Buying new pads to install this weekend...

    Images: https://imgur.com/a/gCAoSuD


    nope I wouldn't blame ya with the e-brake, since that's inside the "top hat" of the rear brake rotor. The one thing that comes to my mind, have you been lubing the sliding pins of the rear brake rotors? A sticking caliper could be wearing down the pads prematurely. Also, make sure you're using the toyota brake grease, not silicone. The silicone will swell the rubber sliding guides and cause the caliper to stick. Toyota's part number is 08887-01206 for the correct sliding pin grease..

    but.. ya get some new pads, definitely.. oh and when you take the caliper apart to get the pads out, take a look at both pads, did they wear evenly? Usually when a sliding ping sticks, one wears more than the other pad.
    • Edited 1 times, last by boarderboy on .
    Thanks for the reply dude. I checked the brakes out today and something is fucky. Rear pads (only checked passenger side) are about 4 mm each still with nothing that looked off to me. Front passenger pads are 5 mm and 0.5 mm. Inside pad is worn nearly to the base and the outside pad looks perfect, which has been throwing me off since it looks fine from an external look. Calipers were a little gooey so you might be right that they got stuck. I cleaned both off and added some of the Toyota grease. Also the rear brake was REALLY difficult to move, after I removed the bolt I had to pry the shoe up with a screwdriver to access the pads. So I think everything is a little bit seized up. I got everything put back together to limp to my parking spot but I'm not driving it until I get some new pads for the front (I bought rear thinking I would need those only)

    https://imgur.com/a/QKxQjJe
    Rear pads first, front pads second
    Well changing the front pads seemed to go great. Lubed up the caliper pins (which were all either stuck or super gummy) and swapped the pads out without issue. Front driver pads were worn unevenly also, both worn heaver on the half near the axle and more pad on the outer part. Meanwhile the front passenger pads were the 5 mm on one and 0.5 mm on the other as before. So my brakes were not in a super good situation. Now the braking is SUBSTANTIALLY better. Thanks for your help
    boarderboy wrote:
    Thanks for the reply dude. I checked the brakes out today and something is fucky. Rear pads (only checked passenger side) are about 4 mm each still with nothing that looked off to me. Front passenger pads are 5 mm and 0.5 mm. Inside pad is worn nearly to the base and the outside pad looks perfect, which has been throwing me off since it looks fine from an external look. Calipers were a little gooey so you might be right that they got stuck. I cleaned both off and added some of the Toyota grease. Also the rear brake was REALLY difficult to move, after I removed the bolt I had to pry the shoe up with a screwdriver to access the pads. So I think everything is a little bit seized up. I got everything put back together to limp to my parking spot but I'm not driving it until I get some new pads for the front (I bought rear thinking I would need those only)

    https://imgur.com/a/QKxQjJe
    Rear pads first, front pads second


    boarderboy wrote:
    Well changing the front pads seemed to go great. Lubed up the caliper pins (which were all either stuck or super gummy) and swapped the pads out without issue. Front driver pads were worn unevenly also, both worn heaver on the half near the axle and more pad on the outer part. Meanwhile the front passenger pads were the 5 mm on one and 0.5 mm on the other as before. So my brakes were not in a super good situation. Now the braking is SUBSTANTIALLY better. Thanks for your help


    hey glad to hear you got it fixed! One more thing I don't know if I mentioned.. that pink Toyota grease, you also lube the edges/sides of the exposed caliper piston. That helps it move back and forth too. Sounds like the sliding pins were really dry! I know with that Toyota grease, it only lasts like 1.5 years max! It's a lithium soap glycol grease so it doesn't have the staying power of a silicone, but it is compatible with the rubber bushings, which is kind of important, lol..

    ok just quoted your 2nd message.. glad to hear it's better, ya you caught it before you had to replace the entire caliper! That does happen if the sliding pins end up seizing in their slots. Glad to help ya out! Now you're not driving dangerously! Good deal!
  • 5 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 1
Jump to Forum:
Related Threads
Threads
Replies
Views
Last Post
©2022 Club Scion tC - Social Network for Scion enthusiasts.