Club Scion tC

Image Issues Fixed
We made some changes when migrating the site from one AWS account to another, and this resulted in some ill-configured images in various parts of the site. We have fixed the problem. You may need to clear browser cache to fix the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

P-0012 07 scion tc

• 3 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    Okay... I'm not a mechanic by any means at all and my primary mechanic is my ex bf.
    We're on great terms but the problem is... I drive my car... he doesn't. It's hard to tell him everything going on with my.car before he runs out of patience because I'm an extreme introvert and am terrible at communication verbally... I can write all day tho. Yet he hates to read so that's probably why he's my ex.

Anyways so on cold start up I get a ticking I'm throwing a p-0012 code as of a week ago. Still driving it because I'm broke and have no other vehicle... and I'm a gigworker... mainly delivery jobs so my car goes through it. I need to know what the most likely cause is considering it's a scion and that I go through oil almost like it's gasoline (I also have a small leak coming from somewhere). I have a squealing coming from the engine area whenever my AC is on. My gas mileage is... ungodly I'm going thru gas so much and with prices the way they are now... even working is becoming non profiting.
    I'm hoping by giving all the things my car is doing someone out there has an answer for me. Because if I go and purchase a part and hand it to my ex he will get tunnel vision and do what I said to do... no explaination required. I was told by a mechanic who did not look at my car but talked to me on the phone to perform and engine flush and replace the VVT... u think it's called VVT idk. But I'd love some experienced scion owners opinion and time is of the essence so I'm hoping this forum isn't dead haha.

• Edited 1 times, last by sciontc_mich on .
    LovesickChase wrote:
    Okay... I'm not a mechanic by any means at all and my primary mechanic is my ex bf.
    We're on great terms but the problem is... I drive my car... he doesn't. It's hard to tell him everything going on with my.car before he runs out of patience because I'm an extreme introvert and am terrible at communication verbally... I can write all day tho. Yet he hates to read so that's probably why he's my ex.

Anyways so on cold start up I get a ticking I'm throwing a p-0012 code as of a week ago. Still driving it because I'm broke and have no other vehicle... and I'm a gigworker... mainly delivery jobs so my car goes through it. I need to know what the most likely cause is considering it's a scion and that I go through oil almost like it's gasoline (I also have a small leak coming from somewhere). I have a squealing coming from the engine area whenever my AC is on. My gas mileage is... ungodly I'm going thru gas so much and with prices the way they are now... even working is becoming non profiting.
    I'm hoping by giving all the things my car is doing someone out there has an answer for me. Because if I go and purchase a part and hand it to my ex he will get tunnel vision and do what I said to do... no explaination required. I was told by a mechanic who did not look at my car but talked to me on the phone to perform and engine flush and replace the VVT... u think it's called VVT idk. But I'd love some experienced scion owners opinion and time is of the essence so I'm hoping this forum isn't dead haha.

yes you're on the right track. The "VVT" is the variable valve timing, but the mechanic meant the part that regulates the VVT, the solenoid they call it. When the oil changes aren't scheduled frequently (beyond 5000 miles or 6 months) the oil can sludge up that actuator/solenoid and then it cannot activate the valve timing correctly. That mechanic was correct, I'm not a big fan of "engine flushes" but when it's bad enough to gunk up the VVT solenoid, I think it would be smart to clean out the system. If you don't replaced that part, bad things can happen, and that rattle you hear is most likely the solenoid gone bad.
    Online forums can only do so much without seeing a car, but from what you described, that's the part that is going bad.

EDIT: I looked up the vvt solenoid from mcgeorge toyota..
    https://parts.mcgeorgetoy...g-vvt-solenoid-1533028010

personally I'd buy the toyota part again, tired of aftermarket junk.. there's good aftermarket but a lot of it isn't worth it..but that's me

If you can afford the toyota part, I would get that part. mcgeorge toyota..it's where I've bought most of my parts if the local dealer doesn't give me the best deal (just ask your local dealer, sometimes they will match online prices, doesn't hurt to ask).. but the solenoid It didn't die because it's a junk part, it died because it got gunked up with old oil. That is what happens on a lot of cars, not just toyotas.

your gig job is a lot of stop and go driving, maybe even extended idling. Make sure you get oil changes every 5000 miles or 6 months max. Especially after you replace the VVT solenoid, that way it won't gunk up again and stop working. hope that helps..

oh and having your friend replace the part, it's not difficult to replace this, about as easy as an oil change.
    hey were you able to read the post?
  • 3 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: