Club Scion tC

Image Issues Fixed
We made some changes when migrating the site from one AWS account to another, and this resulted in some ill-configured images in various parts of the site. We have fixed the problem. You may need to clear browser cache to fix the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

Unknown pully?

• 2 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Edited 1 times, last by billaz on .
    Hello, I am having some pulley noise when belt on. When belt removed engine sounds perfect.

I've had the alternator test and come back good. I then replaced the A/C compressor but the sound still persists.

I am going to replace the rest of the pullies. I am unable to identify one of them... the blue is the unknown.. Any help to identify this would be appreciated. Thanks
    billaz wrote:
    Hello, I am having some pulley noise when belt on. When belt removed engine sounds perfect.

I've had the alternator test and come back good. I then replaced the A/C compressor but the sound still persists.

I am going to replace the rest of the pullies. I am unable to identify one of them... the blue is the unknown.. Any help to identify this would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey billaz.. welcome to club scion tc! The idler is actually part of the belt tensioner. The pulley you're looking at is the Power Steering pump pulley.

Have you changed your power steering fluid? That has been known to cause noise when it's old. Mobil 1 ATF works well and easy to find. The stuff I use Mobil D/M ATF is harder to find, both work well and yes Toyota uses ATF Dexron III for the power steering fluid.

I replace mine every couple of years, just suck out of the power steering reservoir, using a turkey baster or a syringe (the one that mixes 2 cycle oil/gas) and replace. It definitely quiets down the pump. Just a cheaper fix to try..

Here's a diagram telling you what pulley goes to what (you already know most of them..but could help others reading this)

• 2 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: