Club Scion tC

Image Issues Fixed
We made some changes when migrating the site from one AWS account to another, and this resulted in some ill-configured images in various parts of the site. We have fixed the problem. You may need to clear browser cache to fix the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

Oil change

  • 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 1
    Hello fellas, what oil so you use in your tc1? Also do you have oil consumption.
    stin wrote:
    Hello fellas, what oil so you use in your tc1? Also do you have oil consumption.


    hey stin.. I've been using Castrol Magnatec 5w30, engine is nice and quiet, I'm liking it. No oil consumption at all. I did have a problem with some oils that had a higher volatility. there is a test called NOACK that tests the volatility of oil under high heat. It represents the percentage of oil that vaporizes. If an oil vaporizes then it will look like you're consuming oil. Since that oil disappears. I know there's more to it, but summarizing it.

    I found any oil over 12-13% makes it look like the oil is going down on the dipstick. There is oil consumption with the tC but sometimes it's also the situation I had. I changed oil to a lower NOACK value and no more issues.

    Also.. if you're wanting to know how to find the NOACK value it's sometimes in the oil specs printed by the oil company. Find it on their website.

    The Castrol Magnatec 5w30 has a NOACK of 8.9% so VERY good!! Plus it has other qualities that are very good too. Hope that helps!
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    stin wrote:
    Hello fellas, what oil so you use in your tc1? Also do you have oil consumption.


    hey stin.. I've been using Castrol Magnatec 5w30, engine is nice and quiet, I'm liking it. No oil consumption at all. I did have a problem with some oils that had a higher volatility. there is a test called NOACK that tests the volatility of oil under high heat. It represents the percentage of oil that vaporizes. If an oil vaporizes then it will look like you're consuming oil. Since that oil disappears. I know there's more to it, but summarizing it.

    I found any oil over 12-13% makes it look like the oil is going down on the dipstick. There is oil consumption with the tC but sometimes it's also the situation I had. I changed oil to a lower NOACK value and no more issues.

    Also.. if you're wanting to know how to find the NOACK value it's sometimes in the oil specs printed by the oil company. Find it on their website.

    The Castrol Magnatec 5w30 has a NOACK of 8.9% so VERY good!! Plus it has other qualities that are very good too. Hope that helps!


    Interesting info. Any idea what the percentage is for the oil the dealership would use? Would switching from 5w20 to 5w30 help?
    backroad101 wrote:
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    stin wrote:
    Hello fellas, what oil so you use in your tc1? Also do you have oil consumption.


    hey stin.. I've been using Castrol Magnatec 5w30, engine is nice and quiet, I'm liking it. No oil consumption at all. I did have a problem with some oils that had a higher volatility. there is a test called NOACK that tests the volatility of oil under high heat. It represents the percentage of oil that vaporizes. If an oil vaporizes then it will look like you're consuming oil. Since that oil disappears. I know there's more to it, but summarizing it.

    I found any oil over 12-13% makes it look like the oil is going down on the dipstick. There is oil consumption with the tC but sometimes it's also the situation I had. I changed oil to a lower NOACK value and no more issues.

    Also.. if you're wanting to know how to find the NOACK value it's sometimes in the oil specs printed by the oil company. Find it on their website.

    The Castrol Magnatec 5w30 has a NOACK of 8.9% so VERY good!! Plus it has other qualities that are very good too. Hope that helps!


    Interesting info. Any idea what the percentage is for the oil the dealership would use? Would switching from 5w20 to 5w30 help?


    hey backroad.. The toyota branded oil was about 12% but I haven't seen a more recent test yet, that was 2010 or 2011 that data was out. I'd say look for a NOACK value lower than 13% because that's when mine acted like it was burning/leaking oil.

    Yes I think going to 5w30 would help! Since the intro of 0w20 and 0w16 oils, the oil companies have re-shuffled their line up. 5w30 (some of them) have a thinner viscosity than they used to. So if you want a "thicker" 5w30, meaning thicker on the SAE scale, you have to go to a 10w30. The 5w30's now are on the thinner viscosity side of the SAE scale. And the 5w20's are thinner than they used to be.

    So yes, go to a "Today's 5w30" and it will be like a thicker 5w20/thinner 5w30.. hope that makes sense. It's what I've seen.

    Now the Castrol Magnatec 5w30 that I'm running is about in the middle of the SAE viscosity (thickness) scale at 10.40cSt. I haven't done a used oil analysis of this oil yet but based on how the engine is performing and sounding, I think it'll be good results.

    Others on this forum have (in the past) used Castrol EDGE and had great results. But based on the specs I liked the Magnatec and decided to try it. So far, I'm really happy with it.
    I use 0W20 fully synthetic since day 1...10 years ago and 96K, never a problem. I'm using Amazon Basics 0W20 oil right now ($20 for 5 quarts). It uses a little oil but nothing to be worry about....
    Mig139 wrote:
    I use 0W20 fully synthetic since day 1...10 years ago and 96K, never a problem. I'm using Amazon Basics 0W20 oil right now ($20 for 5 quarts). It uses a little oil but nothing to be worry about....


    wow you're just lucky! Many have tried the lighter weight oils and have ended up having consumption issues. it's a gamble most aren't willing to take. But glad that gamble worked out in your favor for your tC.

    and you said "uses a little oil".. and there it is. I know you're new here, but no oil consumption is the standard and for those of us who have used thicker/higher weight oils, we don't use any oil. You might want to reconsider the lighter weight oil you're using. but again, that's your car, your rules.
    I will definitely look into it!!!! Thanks!!!!
    Mig139 wrote:
    I will definitely look into it!!!! Thanks!!!!


    you're welcome! I have been using what's known as UOA (Used Oil Analysis) where you take a sample of engine oil, send it to a lab, they send you back results. It shows what elements are in the oil which allows you to see how the engine is wearing/running. It will also show if the oil is shearing (thinning) due to things like fuel dilution.

    Fuel Dilution can occur because of leaking fuel injectors, or short trips where the engine never gets warm enough to burn off moisture out of the oil. That can thin the oil down and make it too thin for your engine.

    Since the intro of the newest oil 0w16, the oil manufacturers have re-shuffled the oil thickness (viscosity). Meaning, things have moved downward in terms of thickness. So a 5w30 (I posted this before) will be a thinner version. There are SAE standards to the range (in cSt) of what can be called a 5w30, for example.

    you have 2010 tC? Then 0w20 wasn't even approved by Toyota. I believe they spec'd a 5w20, but if you use a little oil, move up to a 5w30. I'd recommend Castrol Magnatec 5w30, I'm using that now and nothing wrong at all. It is in the middle of the thickness range and the NOACK is low, which our hot running engine seems to need.

    Hot running in the sense that the previous generation had a sludging issue because it was not running hot enough, and too long of an interval for oil changes. toyota bumped up the temps a bit on the next generation (our engine) to get rid of sludging, because of this I found the NOACK spec plays a role.

    You might (if you want to know) send your oil off (free test pack, just contact them) to blackstone labs in indiana. See how your engine is wearing, it really helps to know if the oil your using IS good. No more guessing.

    https://www.blackstone-labs.com

    And if you want to learn more about oil, bob is the oil guy forum is one of the best places. sure, you have trolls on there, but that's like any forum..
    Actually my factory oil cap says 5W20,0W20....

    Mig139 wrote:
    Actually my factory oil cap says 5W20,0W20....




    ahh ok, so by 2010 they were already back-specifying the 0w20 like they did for the earlier 5w30's they said to use 5w20, which I found was a joke, caused piston slap when cold. DID THAT ONCE! Back to the original 5w30 at that point. No more issues again.
  • 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 1
Jump to Forum:
Related Threads
Threads
Replies
Views
Last Post
©2019 Club Scion tC - Social Network for Scion enthusiasts.