Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

TPMS malfunctioning / 07 tC

• 3 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • May 19, 2017 1:44:26 pm
    A few questions

1. Will I pass a Louisiana inspection with a malfunctioning tpms?
    2. Is it something I can fix myself with below average mechanical acumen?
    3. The manual says to take it to the dealership. Do I really need to take it to the dealership or will a shop be able to do this?
    • May 19, 2017 5:21:23 pm
    To address your questions:

1) No idea. I'd say it's best to have it taken care of before you get it inspected anyways.
    2) Yes, you can do some preliminary stuff to diagnose the problem before resorting to the dealership
    3) I'd take it to the dealership merely because I like the warm, fuzzy feeling of OEM parts if the TPMS valve stems have to be replaced.

But before you head to the dealership, lets start with the basic stuff you can do.

First, have you checked that all the tires are properly inflated? I have to ask merely so we all know it's not one of the lapses in brain function. We've all been there done that with something simple like that a time or two.

Assuming it's not the pressure in the tires giving you the trouble, you can reset the system. You do this with a couple of simple steps.
    1) With the vehicle stopped, turn the ignition to the ON position (don't start the motor).
    2) Press and hold the tire pressure warning reset switch until the tire pressure warning light blinks 3 times at 1 second intervals. The button is located inside the glove compartment.
    3) Drive the vehicle at 19 mph or more to complete.

If the TPMS light blinks at 1/4 second intervals, the the reset failed to initialize and we'll try something else if that occurs.

Let us know how it goes after this.
    • May 19, 2017 5:44:27 pm
    tpms is inside the wheel, if it needs to be replaced, the tire will have to be dis-mounted. that requires a pro, to be 100% safe.

also, you have an 07, so basically 10 years and now the tpms battery is finally failing. Not a bad run, sometimes they say those batteries are only supposed to last 5-6 years! Good run! Sure there's aftermarket but you get what you pay for. Looks like the Toyota ones out lasted a lot of the others. it's up to you how much you want to spend. Or up to you how much you could afford. but trdsparks (sparksparts.com) could tell you how much they'd be, they have good prices too.
  • 3 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: