Club Scion tC

Site DoS
It appears the site has been targeted by some not happy people and attempting to DoS us, causing some hellaciously slow page loading. We have banned most of Croatia/Russia for the time being! Apologies!
Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

Tie rod end replacement cost?

• 28 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
    • May 30, 2018 3:46:01 pm
    I feel (or just imagine) my car turns wide, the steering wheel is loosey goosey, and I feel the rough road surface while holding onto the steering wheel.

I did some research online and it might not be replacing the outer or inner something but it might be a tie rod end replacement?

What is the price range for parts and labor? Will get alignment on top of it.

Thank you
    • May 31, 2018 2:39:57 am
    stocktc1 wrote:
    I feel (or just imagine) my car turns wide, the steering wheel is loosey goosey, and I feel the rough road surface while holding onto the steering wheel.

I did some research online and it might not be replacing the outer or inner something but it might be a tie rod end replacement?

What is the price range for parts and labor? Will get alignment on top of it.

Thank you

you're not alone in wanting/needing to replace the outer tie rods. Everything wears and needs replacement eventually. I know with my tC I'm going to be replacing the outer tie rods soon but doing the work myself. But if you needed to pay someone I think they'd charge you 1 hour of labor per side (at the most). Depends on what your hourly rate is in your area. Around here could be about $100 per side. Then the alignment cost.

hope that helps.. and I went with Toyota (brand) for the tie rods. It depends on your budget, of course. But looking at both you can clearly see the thickness of the Toyota ones compared to the aftermarket. And whatever you do, don't use MOOG, they are really bad quality lately.
    • May 31, 2018 5:46:30 am
    I'm going to the dealership.

So looking online, it is just the tie rod "end"? My car has 100k miles.
    • May 31, 2018 2:23:41 pm
    They quoted me $489 for each side so $978 both sides with labor I think. But I think this is for the entire contraption (outer tie rod)?

The parts guy said the "ends" are just $186 each side.
    • May 31, 2018 6:48:25 pm
    stocktc1 wrote:
    They quoted me $489 for each side so $978 both sides with labor I think. But I think this is for the entire contraption (outer tie rod)?

The parts guy said the "ends" are just $186 each side.

yes the end is usually what gets "sloppy" at 100k miles. Your dealer wants $186 for ONE outer tie rod!!??? crazy!! I got mine from Sparks Toyota and they were around $50 each! The full retail price is about $70!

I'd really question them on their prices or better yet find a less greedy dealer. Their parts prices show how much their labor prices are inflated. That is insane!
    • Jun 01, 2018 5:20:28 am
    They are telling me that is the correct part for just the ends and the high repair cost is due to 3 hours of labor on each side.

Is this a simple repair that I can just buy the parts at Toyota and bring it into like a Big O tires or another tire shop that does repairs and they install it? Or the tire shop can purchase the part itself if they don't allow outside parts?
    • Jun 01, 2018 11:48:07 am
    stocktc1 wrote:
    They are telling me that is the correct part for just the ends and the high repair cost is due to 3 hours of labor on each side.

Is this a simple repair that I can just buy the parts at Toyota and bring it into like a Big O tires or another tire shop that does repairs and they install it? Or the tire shop can purchase the part itself if they don't allow outside parts?

but my earlier post was they really said $186 for ONE outer tie rod, that is crazy. It's not 3 hours to remove one outer tie rod, that is a lie! All it needs is the lock nut to be loosened (on the inner tie rod) and then for the ball joint to be popped off on the steering knuckle. I've been in there on my own tC and the only reason I haven't done it yet is I was soaking the nuts with penetrating oil. But I've been in there and looked, it's not that difficult. Nothing really is on the tC.

Yeah you could take it to a shop like Big O as long as you get someone who is skilled and you trust. Sometimes I've gone to those tire shops and they aren't the best, but as long as you know someone who's good (no matter where it is). Yeah go for it.

You could always try another dealership that you trust or heard good things about their service department too. But definitely shop around because those prices are way out of line and inflated.

As they say "It's called a STEALERSHIP for a reason".. This dealer you're talking about really fits that saying..
    • Jun 01, 2018 4:11:42 pm
    Another dealer wanted 1300$ for both sides! For one of the dealership I called the parts department and asked price for one side. I told them it is 50 on sparks and retails for 70 and caught them red handed. Dealers mark stuff up over retail ? Isn't that illegal?
    • Jun 01, 2018 4:16:08 pm
    I wonder if they are trying to do more than the ends like the entire thing? The 1300 one said labor was more like 4 hours...
    • Jun 01, 2018 7:44:29 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by sciontc_mich on Jun 01, 2018 7:45:22pm.
    stocktc1 wrote:
    I wonder if they are trying to do more than the ends like the entire thing? The 1300 one said labor was more like 4 hours...

Another dealer wanted 1300$ for both sides! For one of the dealership I called the parts department and asked price for one side. I told them it is 50 on sparks and retails for 70 and caught them red handed. Dealers mark stuff up over retail ? Isn't that illegal?

ok it isn't illegal, but it should be criminal. I'm glad you caught them red-handed! Would've loved to have seen their face! Oh I know one Toyota dealer (only one here in town) and I called them for the brake pad hardware, those springy metal attachments that go under the pad "Ears". They're about $13 for the Toyota ones. This dealer told me $28! I laughed at the guy on the phone. I said "are you serious? They're only listing at $13!" Guy replied "hey that's management here, they raised prices on everything" I said "well you're going to be quite lonely with prices like that".. I went to another dealer got them for $11 each (front/rear).

Point is.. What they're doing is making up for a lack of car sales or some short coming of that dealership. Where they're not making money they think they will jack up the parts and labor prices to make more $$$. What will happen is they will have less and less people coming in! They do not understand simple market demands.

You're right for those prices you could be replacing the entire steering rack!

I reviewed the service manual and it was exactly like I remember.. All you do is pop the ball joint stud off, undo the locknut on the inner tie rod threads, and spin off the outer tie rod. Reverse that and install the new one, then an alignment. At most $100/hr for labor per side.. and the alignment, at most $300 for the whole thing.

I have to say this, I know you won't but I gotta say this.. Don't give them this amount of money for something so simple. Shop around, someone out there has to do a good job for a reasonable price. Have any respectable Lexus dealers around? I have taking my tC to Lexus before. They look at you strange at first, then realize it's a Toyota like all the other Lexus vehicles. Just trying to give you options..

EDIT: When you talk to them are you telling them you JUST want the OUTER tie rod ends replaced? I think you probably are, just making sure..
    • Jun 02, 2018 6:12:59 am
    Yup. Outer. Sparks toyota even said just the outer.
    • Jun 03, 2018 12:42:23 pm
    Kinda scared of dealerships now. $129 for an alignment?....
    • Jun 03, 2018 1:28:11 pm
    https://www.sparksparts.c...p;scat=&search_in=all

This is the part
    • Jun 03, 2018 1:35:03 pm
    stocktc1 wrote:
    https://www.sparksparts.c...p;scat=&search_in=all

This is the part

yup that's the correct part, the outer tie rod. And alignment for $129? Typical for a dealer, around here they're like $90. Even independent/tire shops are like $80. You know speaking of $129.. I heard some dealers are charging $120 for an OIL CHANGE! I was talking to a guy at advance auto yesterday (was looking for the new castrol magnatec oil) and he was saying even the valvoline quick oil change place was $60 or 80! dang...

but I still believe the prices you were quote for outer tie rod replacements to be way, way out of line..
    • Jun 03, 2018 4:30:05 pm
    I read online you can wiggle the area to see if it needs repair. Seems pretty robust and weight of car kinda prevents wiggling the tie rod ? Or maybe mine is good still.
    • Jun 03, 2018 10:52:25 pm
    stocktc1 wrote:
    I read online you can wiggle the area to see if it needs repair. Seems pretty robust and weight of car kinda prevents wiggling the tie rod ? Or maybe mine is good still.

I believe that's the ball joint on the lower control arm, you put the car up in the air, and wiggle the tire from 3-9 oclock and 6-12 oclock positions..

With the outer tie rod, you'll usually feel a "looseness" in the steering wheel, like the steering isn't that tight anymore. You can grab the outer tie rod (car in the air) and see if you can twist it in place, if it flops around it's bad. The other thing, if you see grease oozing out of the ball joint cover on the outer tied rod, that's a sign it's bad too.
    • Jun 04, 2018 5:31:37 am
    This is where it talks about wiggling to check if it is bad.
    https://did-it-myself.com/outer-tie-rod-end-replacement/
    • Jun 04, 2018 6:18:44 am
    Are napa parts any good?
    • Jun 04, 2018 10:27:35 am
    stocktc1 wrote:
    This is where it talks about wiggling to check if it is bad.
    https://did-it-myself.com/outer-tie-rod-end-replacement/

Are napa parts any good?

your link describes what I posted previously of how to test the outer tie rod. It's really the ball joint of the outer tie rod that you're testing. But at 100k it's common for it to be bad. Mine is actually leaking grease from the rubber cap.

napa suspension parts, they used to be good, but a lot of their suspension stuff is getting outsourced to some bad companies.. more like cheap quality companies. Chances are it's probably MOOG who is supplying them and trust me, STAY AWAY FROM MOOG! They used to be awesome but then some bean-counter got in charge, moved everything off shore and the quality is a joke. See, I can't blame China, since you can get some really decent stuff from there. Seriously. The bosch rotors (quietcast) I have are the best I've ever had, the run-out is excellent (practically ZERO!) and yet they're made in China.

I can't say all of NAPA's stuff is bad, I just got a receiver/drier for the civic from them. Then again I know 4-seasons supplied it to Napa. There are some decent things still at Napa, I just don't believe suspension pieces might be one of them.

You can always try to take napa's part number and cross-reference it to MOOG, that will tell you, since it'll be the same number with maybe a letter at the front of it.
    So it's not a China thing, it's a cheap company thing.

I know there was another place I heard of called proforged.com they sell forged suspension pieces and I think they have the outer tie rods for the tC. Ive heard the quality is decent. But I also believe that the Toyota outer tie rods are forged too. I have the outer tie rod and held it in my hand, very heavy/dense.. nice!
    • Jun 04, 2018 7:29:22 pm
    I'm thinking a tire shop wouldn't make much profit doing a tie rod end replacement and an alignment?

Usually people go in for an oil change and get ripped off with lots of services? Customer like me knows what he needs, etc.
  • 28 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Jump to Forum: