Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

Scion Tc 2011-2016 Automatic Transmission Fluid Change

• 8 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Jul 24, 2017 9:35:11 pm
    Hi everyone. I've been searching the interweb for a few hours now and I cannot find a single thread/write-up related directly to flushing/changing the auto tranny fluid on a Tc2. I'd really like to drain the fluid and top it off as I'm approaching 65k on my 2012, but I can't find any info. I know the Tc2 supposedly used the "life-time" fluid, but I don't really buy into that scheme. Is there anybody on here who has drained and filled their trannies? I'd appreciate any pointers or recommended fluids, etc. Thanks much.
    • Jul 25, 2017 9:45:55 am
    spidey637 wrote:
    Hi everyone. I've been searching the interweb for a few hours now and I cannot find a single thread/write-up related directly to flushing/changing the auto tranny fluid on a Tc2. I'd really like to drain the fluid and top it off as I'm approaching 65k on my 2012, but I can't find any info. I know the Tc2 supposedly used the "life-time" fluid, but I don't really buy into that scheme. Is there anybody on here who has drained and filled their trannies? I'd appreciate any pointers or recommended fluids, etc. Thanks much.

I had the "lifetime fluid warning" on the trans dipstick, I thought it was hilarious. Once I changed the fluid, the shifts became smoother to the point I couldn't feel them at all! So I completely agree not to buy into that "lifetime" fluid joke.

I have a tc1, but I'm pretty sure that the tC2 like yours has a drain plug at the bottom that it's not a completely sealed case. The ones where you can't drain anything but have to drop the trans. But I've done my tC1 plenty of times.

I'd suggest Toyota brand trans fluid, why sit there all day and wonder if the aftermarket stuff is compatible?!
    talk to your local dealer to make sure but I think your auto trans takes WS-type fluid.

Drain what is in the pan, fill up with new, use new crush washer on drain plug,drive for a day or two, drain it again, fill it again. Do this a total of 3-4 times. That will get all the old fluid out as the new mixes in. It is NOT recommended to do any kind of flush or power flush at all, just drain and fill.

You'll also have to check with the local dealer about your auto trans if it has a filter or not. The tC1 just has a mesh screen, no filter from Toyota, even though the aftermarket says yes, toyota says no. so check on that.

But that's it, that's how you change the entire fluid. Is it simple yes? is it tedious? yup.. but hey at least you won't hurt your trans doing it this way.

oh and on the tC1 it's a 10mm hex head that goes into the drain plug to loosen it. Not sure what the tC2 uses, but hey at least it gives you an idea of what you're looking at.
    • Aug 01, 2017 6:56:33 pm
    Is there anyone out there with a Scion TC2 who has done a flush? I know they sold a lot of them.
    • Aug 01, 2017 8:24:58 pm
    The tC2 U760E automatic transmission does not have an oil filler tube (dipstick) its a sealed trans has two plugs a overflow and refill you cannot drain all the oil in the pan its design for checking level but can be used to drain and fill but will take you a lot of time. Would have to add fluid like 3qts through the refill plug in the trans on the side of the transmission which is a 6mm hex. The fluid level can be adjusted by draining the excess fluid by taking out the bottom 6mm hex plug (allowing excess fluid to come out until it starts to trickle). THIS is after you let the car run only in Idle and the A/T transmission fluid TEMP has to be in this range (95 to 113°F), in which you would need a way to read the temp while the car is raised then you can drain the fluid and if not done right can lead to shifting issues or damage the trans completely. This should be done by a experience mechanic its not as simple as the tC1 where you can drain and fill by checking the level. the best way to do this is by Flushing the trans with WS fluid and at Toyota we recommend it as early as 60k and if done every 60k you should have no problems is when you pass 100k that we don't recommend a flush.
    • Aug 02, 2017 8:56:37 pm
    thanks for the input! good to know the tC2 doesn't have it "simple" like the tC1. And I appreciate you jumping in to correct me! Good info for all that have an auto tC2.
    • Aug 25, 2017 7:20:40 pm
    Thanks for the replies! Now I wish I had the manual. I'm having rough shifting and I'm only at 63k. I should mention the car has had a very easy life--all highway miles. So bottom-line: I should just take it to the dealer and have it flushed?
    • Aug 25, 2017 7:31:25 pm
    spidey637 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies! Now I wish I had the manual. I'm having rough shifting and I'm only at 63k. I should mention the car has had a very easy life--all highway miles. So bottom-line: I should just take it to the dealer and have it flushed?

As long as you trust your dealership to do good work, then I'd say definitely do it. I remember at 30k miles mine was starting to "flare" on shifting, kinda lag. I drain/filled a couple of times and it was night/day difference! Could see the rpm's up and down on the tachometer but could NOT feel the shifting anymore! It's well worth it, no matter what Toyota claims about it being "lifetime" fluid. Who's lifetime? some research person saying when Toyota is clear of their warranty obligations? I'd replace it. Well worth it.
    • Aug 26, 2017 12:05:09 am
    spidey637 wrote:

What manual are you referring to?
  • 8 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: