Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

Scion Rear Brake Replacement Issue

• 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Oct 01, 2018 1:47:02 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by ImLimitlessDude on Oct 04, 2018 8:36:26am.
    Hello guys, my Scion Tc 2014 needed new rear brake pads. My buddy is good with cars and helped me replace the front brake pads in the past with no issues. A couple days ago we replaced both rear brake pads and today I noticed a burning smell. On the rear driver side rim, it gets extremely hot and creates a smell while the other rims do not. This is not normal, do you guys think the calipers clamped wrong? What could be the issue? I don’t want this to escalate into a rotor problem. I’d greatly appreciate some advice especially if you’ve had this problem before.
    • Oct 02, 2018 2:14:34 pm
    ImLimitlessDude wrote:
    Hello guys, my Scion Tc 2014 needed new rear brake pads. My buddy is good with cars and has helped me replace the front brake pads in the past with no issues. A couple days ago we replaced both rear brake pads and today I noticed a burning smell. On the rear driver side rim, it gets extremely hot and creates a smell while the other rims do not. This is not normal, do you guys think the calipers clamped wrong? What could be the issue? I don’t want this to escalate into a rotor problem. I’d greatly appreciate some advice especially if you’ve had this problem before.

if you didn't lube up the sliding pins with the correct grease, that's probably why they're sticking now. Toyota rubber grease (search on this forum) is what you need to use. Some people use silicone grease but I've seen it personally get sticky/gummed up after a short period of time. Use the right grease, get the right performance
    • Oct 04, 2018 8:29:15 am
    Had the car looked at by an actual mechanic and he said the brakes looked great and everything was fine. Me and my buddy are going to grease up the sliding pins and hopefully everything is good to go.
    • Oct 05, 2018 7:26:37 pm
    um.. if everything was "fine" then why were your brakes burning? causing a burning smell?
  • 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: