Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

Radio Light Out

• 18 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Feb 20, 2018 6:35:18 am
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a relatively simple way to fix a radio or clock light that goes out when the headlights are turned on. I took my ‘07 tC to the dealer this weekend and they said it was because the climate control switches are defective and to replace them would cost $1,300. Is this the only fix or are there other options.
    • Feb 25, 2018 8:44:07 pm
    RightStuff wrote:
    I was wondering if anyone knew of a relatively simple way to fix a radio or clock light that goes out when the headlights are turned on. I took my ‘07 tC to the dealer this weekend and they said it was because the climate control switches are defective and to replace them would cost $1,300. Is this the only fix or are there other options.

hey rightstuff, welcome to cstc! Planning on staying around or just asking that one question? And if the radio illumination doesn't work when you turn the headlights on, that is NOT a function of the HVAC controls at all! The HVAC controls are a separate piece. And it's not $1300, either. There are two ways to fix it, you can diagnose the bad circuit board for the HVAC or.. You buy a new control board. They were updated along the way, I'm not sure what year.

But again, if the dealer is telling you that your radio lights aren't illuminating because of the HVAC, they don't know what they're talking about at all.

Fixing the radio lights would be an electronics diagnosing project. The quickest and cheapest way is just to replace the radio with an aftermarket unit. One with steering wheel control ability, gotta keep those buttons! Well, that's just me.

oh and that HVAC control board (if it's bad) is about $600.. check out sparksparts.com or mcgeorgeparts.com (both are toyota dealers online).
    • Feb 27, 2018 6:38:56 pm
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    RightStuff wrote:

hey rightstuff, welcome to cstc! Planning on staying around or just asking that one question? And if the radio illumination doesn't work when you turn the headlights on, that is NOT a function of the HVAC controls at all! The HVAC controls are a separate piece. And it's not $1300, either. There are two ways to fix it, you can diagnose the bad circuit board for the HVAC or.. You buy a new control board. They were updated along the way, I'm not sure what year.

But again, if the dealer is telling you that your radio lights aren't illuminating because of the HVAC, they don't know what they're talking about at all.

Fixing the radio lights would be an electronics diagnosing project. The quickest and cheapest way is just to replace the radio with an aftermarket unit. One with steering wheel control ability, gotta keep those buttons! Well, that's just me.

oh and that HVAC control board (if it's bad) is about $600.. check out sparksparts.com or mcgeorgeparts.com (both are toyota dealers online).

Thanks for the reply, sciontc_mich. I think I need to clarify exactly which light is out. The dealer mechanic called it the ‘radio light,’ but it’s the light that displays the time and airflow information. Does that change anything? If not, do you think I should take it to a different dealer and ask them? I do want to fix this but I know I can’t do it myself and don’t want to pay $1300.
    • Feb 28, 2018 7:29:07 am
    RightStuff wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, sciontc_mich. I think I need to clarify exactly which light is out. The dealer mechanic called it the ‘radio light,’ but it’s the light that displays the time and airflow information. Does that change anything? If not, do you think I should take it to a different dealer and ask them? I do want to fix this but I know I can’t do it myself and don’t want to pay $1300.

yup that is different than the radio itself. The light that is for the time/airflow/temp outside display IS part of the HVAC circuit board. Look up HVAC controls for a scion tc at mcgeorgeparts.com or sparksparts.com you'll see how/what the board looks like.

yes I do believe you should go to another dealership, that's a great idea! Oh so you don't have the ability to take the radio door/hvac/air vent trim off yourself and unscrew/remove the hvac board.. it's ok some people don't have those skills. When you see how easy it is, you'll laugh at someone wanting $1300! insane.

It shouldn't take more than 1 hour of labor for a dealer to replace that, and that's them moving really slow, and having a coffee! lol..

so please go to another dealer. Plus do look up the prices of the board on those websites I gave you which are toyota dealers who are online with lower prices. It will give you a better idea of the prices, plus you can print that up and take it to another dealer's parts dept to ask them to match prices.. some dealers will match online (toyota dealer) prices.
    • Feb 28, 2018 10:19:31 am
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    RightStuff wrote:

yup that is different than the radio itself. The light that is for the time/airflow/temp outside display IS part of the HVAC circuit board. Look up HVAC controls for a scion tc at mcgeorgeparts.com or sparksparts.com you'll see how/what the board looks like.

yes I do believe you should go to another dealership, that's a great idea! Oh so you don't have the ability to take the radio door/hvac/air vent trim off yourself and unscrew/remove the hvac board.. it's ok some people don't have those skills. When you see how easy it is, you'll laugh at someone wanting $1300! insane.

It shouldn't take more than 1 hour of labor for a dealer to replace that, and that's them moving really slow, and having a coffee! lol..

so please go to another dealer. Plus do look up the prices of the board on those websites I gave you which are toyota dealers who are online with lower prices. It will give you a better idea of the prices, plus you can print that up and take it to another dealer's parts dept to ask them to match prices.. some dealers will match online (toyota dealer) prices.

Thanks again for all the info. I'm not sure if I have the skills or not but I've never done any work on a car before and I'd just be worried that I'd break something lol.

I looked on those sites and found a circuit board. Is this what needs to be replaced?

https://parts.mcgeorgetoy...mZT0yLTRsLWw0LWdhcw%3D%3D
    • Feb 28, 2018 2:00:18 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by sciontc_mich on Feb 28, 2018 2:02:18pm.
    hey I understand completely that you don't want to break anything! That's ok too, to get someone else to replace that board. But for $1300 they better be taking you out to dinner and a nice wet kiss afterwards! hahaha..

That part you found was #8 in the diagram, that's the back cover of the circuit board, how funny they call that the "circuit board".. lol..

https://parts.mcgeorgetoy...t/?part_number=5591221010

the part that is the actual circuit board is part #7, 55911-21030 / Dash Control Unit $526 for that.. see the difference in price? not $1300.. the list price is $799, usually what a dealership would charge for that but $600 more to install it? see why I'm laughing at how crazy that is?! It's not the difficult to replace. so 1 hour of labor for any dealer mechanic is all it would take.

EDIT:
    definitely talk to other dealerships.
    • Mar 08, 2018 7:11:00 am
    RightStuff wrote:

Welcome to the club, sorry I missed this topic. I love Mich's get dinner and a kiss. LOL

Did you get the light fixed?
    • Mar 08, 2018 7:19:50 am
    yotagirl wrote:
    RightStuff wrote:

Welcome to the club, sorry I missed this topic. I love Mich's get dinner and a kiss. LOL

Did you get the light fixed?

So I called another dealer and they said the reason why it’s so expensive is because the replacement part costs about $1,000. I told them that it was much cheaper on mcgeorgetoyota.com and the guy went to the site and said if I wanted to buy the part from there, they could install it for me for about $300. They just wouldn’t give me a warranty on it. My only concern now is that I see that there are two part sevens listed. They both cost the same price but one says ‘heater control.’ Which one should I buy?

• Mar 08, 2018 8:32:55 am
    Did you put your car info in McGeorge's site? That is a very good question. Mich will be away for a while today. He is a plethora of knowledge and has taught me a lot.

I have done business with McGeorge's and when I have called them they were spot on about what part to order. Just have your VIN handy. That's how them make sure it's the right part.

Both parts have the same number, that's odd?

I installed my fog lights and understand your hesitance to work on your dash. I grabbed an interior removal kit from Harbor Freight. I was really amazed at how easy it was to take the dash apart. I had to remove the radio. Talk about sweating. LOL There has to be a tutorial somewhere. If you feel like you want to attempting we can definitely help. If you were near Richmond Va I would gladly help you out in person. I wonder if I can find it on YouTube? Found a write up on Scion life. https://www.scionlife.com...ighting-issue-fix-158086/

I have to jump off and grab some food and sleep. I will check back in tonight and do some research for you.
    • Mar 08, 2018 11:04:52 pm
    RightStuff wrote:
    So I called another dealer and they said the reason why it’s so expensive is because the replacement part costs about $1,000. I told them that it was much cheaper on mcgeorgetoyota.com and the guy went to the site and said if I wanted to buy the part from there, they could install it for me for about $300. They just wouldn’t give me a warranty on it. My only concern now is that I see that there are two part sevens listed. They both cost the same price but one says ‘heater control.’ Which one should I buy?

if you look at the part number of #7, they're the same part number. I think the reason they're listed twice is because there was a regular tC and a spec tC at the time. The spec tC was a stripped down version for customizing.. it wasn't available that long.

But the HVAC control is the same for both.

I wouldn't go to the dealer who says "no warranty", that's a bunch of bull. Then to add insult they go and tell you it's $300 for labor? I've had that part replaced, it can be done in an hour! I know you don't have the ability to do this yourself, I totally understand. But I want you to know that dealer is just robbing you on the labor.

I also don't want you to get discouraged at this. I'm glad you want to save $$$ and get it done right! What you need is to try another dealer that could do this for you. I would say about an hour of labor $100-120 to remove/replace the unit.

I would not let anyone touch this who wants your $$$ and tells you that they won't stand behind their work. Just wait until you can find the right shop to do this.. I know it's annoying but it's JUST some led's that don't light up, the unit still works.. take your time find the right place.

• Mar 08, 2018 11:07:51 pm
    yotagirl wrote:
    Did you put your car info in McGeorge's site? That is a very good question. Mich will be away for a while today. He is a plethora of knowledge and has taught me a lot.

I have done business with McGeorge's and when I have called them they were spot on about what part to order. Just have your VIN handy. That's how them make sure it's the right part.

Both parts have the same number, that's odd?

I installed my fog lights and understand your hesitance to work on your dash. I grabbed an interior removal kit from Harbor Freight. I was really amazed at how easy it was to take the dash apart. I had to remove the radio. Talk about sweating. LOL There has to be a tutorial somewhere. If you feel like you want to attempting we can definitely help. If you were near Richmond Va I would gladly help you out in person. I wonder if I can find it on YouTube? Found a write up on Scion life. https://www.scionlife.com...ighting-issue-fix-158086/

I have to jump off and grab some food and sleep. I will check back in tonight and do some research for you.

thanks for the kind words, yotagirl that's nice of ya!

yeah I did answer why there are two parts, same part number.. no problem there.

I just wish a dealer in RightStuff's area could be found that wouldn't BS about this. No wonder they call them STEALER-ships! sheesh..
    • Mar 08, 2018 11:13:56 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by sciontc_mich on Mar 08, 2018 11:15:09pm.
    I went online looking for the part number, and found one (probably more) at ebay. It's used, so there's no guarantee that those led lights will not go out, but you can at least look at the picture of what the control board does look like..

all there is holding it in, the aluminum temp knob (have to pull that off), unplug the wiring harness, unclip/remove the plastic cover, and bam! it's out! I just wanted Rightstuff, for you to see what it does look like..

EDIT: link..
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/...-/400852959577?rmvSB=true
    • Mar 09, 2018 12:59:51 am
    Here's a video on how to pull the radio out of an 07.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0tbT9-VBbU

And a better view of the console

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMjjcTNX6X0

It is not that hard to pull it off. I believe in the 2nd video at 45 seconds you can see the back of the dash control unit.
    • Mar 09, 2018 5:33:46 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by RightStuff on Mar 09, 2018 5:58:23am.
    Thanks to you both. I think I will buy the part from McGeorgeToyota rather than a used copy from eBay. I’m also going to ask if anyone I know could replace the part for me. Or if any shop around here would replace it for about $100-$150.

Edit: I actually think my tC might be the Spec model. Is there an easy way to find out?
    • Mar 10, 2018 6:47:22 am
    RightStuff wrote:
    Thanks to you both. I think I will buy the part from McGeorgeToyota rather than a used copy from eBay. I’m also going to ask if anyone I know could replace the part for me. Or if any shop around here would replace it for about $100-$150.

Edit: I actually think my tC might be the Spec model. Is there an easy way to find out?

hey you're welcome for the help! I hope you find a good shop with FAIR pricing. Where are you located? I didn't see anything in your profile.

yup it's very easy to spot a spec model. The sunroof (front) does not open. It's solid like the rear (non-moveable) sunroof.

and I didn't think you'd buy a used HVAC control board from ebay, it was to show you what it looks like without being inside the center panel. The parts diagrams don't show it very well.
    • Mar 10, 2018 10:56:45 am
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    RightStuff wrote:

hey you're welcome for the help! I hope you find a good shop with FAIR pricing. Where are you located? I didn't see anything in your profile.

yup it's very easy to spot a spec model. The sunroof (front) does not open. It's solid like the rear (non-moveable) sunroof.

and I didn't think you'd buy a used HVAC control board from ebay, it was to show you what it looks like without being inside the center panel. The parts diagrams don't show it very well.

I’m in Northern Virginia.

Ok I guess I don’t have a Spec model after all because my sun roof does open. The dealer where I originally brought my car in for work listed it as ‘Spec’ but I guess they didn’t know what they were talking about lol.
    • Mar 11, 2018 4:27:58 am
    RightStuff wrote:

Ok I guess I don’t have a Spec model after all because my sun roof does open. The dealer where I originally brought my car in for work listed it as ‘Spec’ but I guess they didn’t know what they were talking about lol.

ahh yup I'm over here in Michigan. Would've offered to help ya if you were closer. lol, you're right! dealer didn't know what they were talking about! I also think the spec did not come with cruise control.. If you dig/search around on this forum you should find more info on the spec model. But since you have the sunroof that does work, yours is called the BASE model..
    • Mar 12, 2018 10:55:57 am
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    RightStuff wrote:

ahh yup I'm over here in Michigan. Would've offered to help ya if you were closer. lol, you're right! dealer didn't know what they were talking about! I also think the spec did not come with cruise control.. If you dig/search around on this forum you should find more info on the spec model. But since you have the sunroof that does work, yours is called the BASE model..

Did you find anyone to install the controller? Let me IM you. I am south of you, close to Richmond.
Tags: light out radio
  • 18 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: