Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

Loud noise please help

• 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Aug 07, 2017 12:20:19 pm
    My granddaughter has a 2007 scion tc. She took it to get an oil change. The next day when she was driving it started making this loud noise so she stopped and had car towed home. It starts and has no engine light. I have attached the noise it makes. Please help.
    Https://youtu.be/0QkyppZMiCE
    • Aug 07, 2017 2:25:23 pm
    Sounds like rod knock to me
    • Aug 07, 2017 6:07:53 pm
    So is this something that can be fixed or should she get rid of car?
    • Aug 07, 2017 6:30:09 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by aervin on Aug 07, 2017 6:35:02pm.
    If it really is rod knock, one of two things would need to happen to keep the car.

1. Rebuild the motor
    2. Replace the motor

If you go the rebuild route it'll be cheaper (more than likely) but will take more time. The rod bearings will need to be replaced, only the bad ones technically, and then all of the gaskets. I'm of the mindset that if you're already in there, might as well replace any of the bearings you can so as to prevent this from happening in a short while if some of the others deteriorate. You could also upgrade some of the components while it's apart but that is really only worth doing if you're planning on modifying the car for making power.

If you replace the motor, I'd buy a used motor off ebay or a local junk yard, someone with good reviews, hopefully you can trust, but after all it's used so no guarantees. Then just switch them out.

Nothing about this will be simple. But it is possible to do yourself. I had rod knock on my '08 and replaced the motor for $2400 (including buying some extra tools and a $100 sensor I accidentally broke). When the dealership quoted the replacement, it was about $7000 for a used motor and $9000 for a new motor from them.

If you do decide to try and fix this yourself, I'll help with any information that I can provide, as will all of the others on here. If you take it to a shop locally, it'll still cost a pretty penny, but more importantly than that is to trust the shop doing the work. A dealership would do the work well I'm sure but is the most expensive option.

Keeping versus getting rid of the car is all up to you. As it sits, assuming it is in fact rod knock, the value is severely diminished, so it might be worth it in investing to get it fixed.

One more thing. When this happened to my car, I took it to the dealership and had them do a diagnosis on it, about $55 and they confirmed it was rod knock, specified the cylinder too. But just for the added peace of mind of knowing exactly what is wrong, it's not a bad deal in my opinion.

If you have any more questions just let us know.
  • 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: