Club Scion tC

Site DoS
It appears the site has been targeted by some not happy people and attempting to DoS us, causing some hellaciously slow page loading. We have banned most of Croatia/Russia for the time being! Apologies!
Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

Front wheel bearing keeps going out?

• 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Feb 11, 2018 7:40:37 pm
    Hey guys, i have a 2007 tC and cant figure out why my wheel bearing keeps going out? I had it replaced last September, bought a bearing off ebay and had it installed at a shop. About 2 months later. the same wheel bearing went out again. So took it to a different shop and they told me " we need to replace the hub too, otherwise this new bearing is going to go bad really quick again" so i had them replace the hub and bearing. Now its been about 3 months and it seems like the bearing is going bad again. If i lift the car up and grab the wheel by the top and bottom, i can get a little bit of play out of the wheel, which from my understanding more than likely means bad wheel bearing, plus ive got a loud clunk when i hit even the smallest bumps, sounds like a really bad ball joint, but the ball joint is fine and everything else in the suspension seems to be fine. Any ideas why this same bearing keeps going out?
    BDog21 is online now Report Post
    • Feb 11, 2018 11:57:17 pm
    BDog21 wrote:
    Hey guys, i have a 2007 tC and cant figure out why my wheel bearing keeps going out? I had it replaced last September, bought a bearing off ebay and had it installed at a shop. About 2 months later. the same wheel bearing went out again. So took it to a different shop and they told me " we need to replace the hub too, otherwise this new bearing is going to go bad really quick again" so i had them replace the hub and bearing. Now its been about 3 months and it seems like the bearing is going bad again. If i lift the car up and grab the wheel by the top and bottom, i can get a little bit of play out of the wheel, which from my understanding more than likely means bad wheel bearing, plus ive got a loud clunk when i hit even the smallest bumps, sounds like a really bad ball joint, but the ball joint is fine and everything else in the suspension seems to be fine. Any ideas why this same bearing keeps going out?
    BDog21 is online now Report Post

well the first problem is buying an ebay wheel bearing, not the best quality.. and who knows what brand the shop used. if it was moog, that junk is made in china now and it's cheap junk. sorry but that's the truth.

The fact it keeps dying is because (I believe) it's bad quality parts. If you got timken brand I would think you'd be ok. Or just buy it from Toyota, like mcgeorgeparts.com or sparksparts.com (both are toyota dealers online with lower prices).

if the car was lowered both bearings would go bad, if it was slammed too low. so spend a little more, get the Toyota one, and watch everything be ok.

I've learned lately with aftermarket parts that are cheaper priced, you never save money because you end up re-doing the same job, costing more! It would've been cheaper to pay a little more for the Toyota part, and not have to replace it for 100k miles.
    • Feb 12, 2018 7:13:45 am
    Ok thanks for the reply! You very well could be right, but even being cheap chinese made parts i would still think they would last more than a month or 2, thats just ridiculous!
    • Feb 12, 2018 10:07:35 am
    BDog21 wrote:
    Ok thanks for the reply! You very well could be right, but even being cheap chinese made parts i would still think they would last more than a month or 2, thats just ridiculous!

hey bdog21! You're welcome for the info, I know the scion forums are really slow since they discontinued the brand back in 16. There are plans to convert this site to not only scion but toyota too, that's the info I have at least. Which would make sense because the tC is literally all the toyota parts bin thrown into our car! air filter from the corolla, engine from camry, brakes from celica/lexus, etc.. I think the only think unique to our car is the interior, trim and the suspension! lol..

I know, right? logic would tell ya that a wheel bearing SHOULD last more than 2 months, but the company who paid the chinese to make that bearing is the one that got what they wanted. Cheap price, cheap quality, not long lasting.

But what's more scary is think about this idea.. if the inner and outer race holding the bearing together were to separate, that would lead to the hub (and the lugs) pulling out of the steering knuckle. Without that, the hub pulls free, which the lug nuts are holding the wheel on.. That race separates and even though it's pressed in, could move apart, and the wheel pulls off the car.. What a fun day that would be! not!

so.. how do I know about the hub/wheel? On my project civic car, it began to happen but it took 21years for it to begin to happen.

and yes back to what you were saying it IS ridiculous, but how bad things are getting in terms of quality in the auto part market, I'm not surprised. I'd just go get the Toyota parts, install them, and be done with it. Don't need you to suffer a bad accident. seriously.
  • 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: