Club Scion tC

Club Scion tC redesign almost here!
It's been a while, CStC fam! CStC will soon be migrating to an entirely new backend in the next few months! We are finally looking for anyone interested in testing the new system before we go live. Contact SqMK for details!
Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

Does your 2005 - 2010 Scion burn oil?

• 2 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Nov 04, 2017 8:52:45 pm
    I am looking for a 2005 - 2010 tC, but I'm just hesitating because of all the problems that I have read about the burning oil. I have a Scion xB too and it burns oil.

Just wondering that maybe only the people who have problems speak up so all I see are people that have problems. Let me know!
    • Nov 06, 2017 1:57:22 am
    tsunapi wrote:
    I am looking for a 2005 - 2010 tC, but I'm just hesitating because of all the problems that I have read about the burning oil. I have a Scion xB too and it burns oil.

Just wondering that maybe only the people who have problems speak up so all I see are people that have problems. Let me know!

The 05-06 tC do not have the oil burning issue. Toyota changed the engine in 07+ and changed the piston ring design, to a lower tension ring. Yes it was a dumb move and caused more oil consumption. It's a hit/miss thing.. Some people have terrible issues others have none. It's probably best if you did get an 07-09 (where most of the problems are) it would be something you should budget to do, rebuild the pistons and rings. And while it's apart to get ARP cylinder head bolts.

The 05-06 engine only has the issue of the water pump design being bad. Which was updated in 08. Signs that the water pump is going, look down by the drivebelt, way down there, and if the pump has gone bad, you'll see this salty/ice looking deposits around the engine block. The newer design doesn't have these issues.

The water pump if it goes bad can overheat the engine (obviously), but that causes the head to overheat and pull away from the block. The existing head bolts can't hold the head to the block, then you start ingesting coolant into the block. How to check? Pull the oil dipstick, look for water-like droplets on the dipstick.

Those are the major issues with this engine. If you can get these fixed, engine is bulletproof.
  • 2 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: