Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

DIY Oil Change

• 6 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Aug 29, 2016 8:16:08 pm
    Hi I have a Scion tc 2012 thats 41,745 with synthetic 0w-20 Genuine toyota oil that i got from the toyota dealership last time i had my oil change done with them. They said its good for 10k til i do an oil change again. But I heard its better to do it every 5k miles. so I have done my research and decided to change it to Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 which i heard most of the people use, and i will do this myself. Before that, this is also my first DIY for oil change, I would appreciate any advice. Also is there any special kind of draining/cleaning since im switching from 0w-20 to 5w-30? So any advice would be appreciated before i do my oil change in a couple of days.
    • Aug 29, 2016 8:41:02 pm
    jcpastor10 wrote:
    Hi I have a Scion tc 2012 thats 41,745 with synthetic 0w-20 Genuine toyota oil that i got from the toyota dealership last time i had my oil change done with them. They said its good for 10k til i do an oil change again. But I heard its better to do it every 5k miles. so I have done my research and decided to change it to Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 which i heard most of the people use, and i will do this myself. Before that, this is also my first DIY for oil change, I would appreciate any advice. Also is there any special kind of draining/cleaning since im switching from 0w-20 to 5w-30? So any advice would be appreciated before i do my oil change in a couple of days.

First off, let you know that Mobil1 has been known to burn-off and make you think you have an engine burning oil. My research shows it has something to do with the volatility of the oil and how much burns off at higher temps. Just so that you're aware of that. It doesn't seem to matter which weight oil is used.

Now the bigger question is, can your engine even handle the 5w-30 oil. I would say 5w-20 would be ok, but the 30 makes me wonder about your oil pump and what the engine is spec'd for. I know the 1st gen can do 5w-30 or 5w-20, but can't move to a Ow-20 like you can. Something to think about before you do this.

As far as draining the oil, it's simple, get a drain pain, remove the drain plug, let it drain (about 20 minutes) into the pan, put a new drain plug washer on the plug, replace plug, only snugging it down nothing tighter. Then removing the oil filter, might need a special tool, I like this one, very nice, plus not expensive!

It's $6 at autozone, and it will make your life very easy in removing your oil filter. Just attach a 3/8" extension to the hole. and twist.

http://www.autozone.com/s...297190_0_0/?checkfit=true

The oil filter for your car, I'd use the Toyota brand one, get at the dealer for like $4-5. Very good quality, don't waste your time with aftermarket the level of quality is all over the place. Everytime I've found a good aftermarket one, then they change the design, etc.. tired of that so I just stick with the Toyota one.

I also fill up the oil filter with oil first then spin the filter on. I believe the 12 is just like the 1st gen, it's a spin on vertical filter. make sure the seating surface of the oil filter is clean. Then spin on the new filter, hand tighten it only. When it gets tight, you're done.

I also use jackstands to jack up the front of the car, plus with the front raised it makes the oil come out better.

Then just fill up the oil with what it's spec'd for. I know the 1st gen is 3.5-3.7 quarts. I think yours is 4, but just check. Then once all is full, I take the car down off the jackstands and start the car, let it run for a minute or two. Shut it off and check the level on the dipstick.

After that, start it again, let it run, check for leaks, you should have none. there ya go!

but I would look at another brand of oil instead of mobil1, maybe look at the 5w-20 from Toyota. It's really good oil. Toyota told Mobil what they wanted and Mobil made a custom oil for them. Yes, guys have sent the oil off to Blackstone Labs to have new oil analyzed, that's how we know it's different.
    • Aug 30, 2016 6:32:28 pm
    Thanks for the advice, i appreciate that. And for sure i will do a bit more research on what oil would be good for me. There jus alot of different things that i hear around. But definitely will keep your advice.
    • Aug 30, 2016 8:51:07 pm
    Yeah I agree with mich and would be wary of your oil choice. I used to use Valvoline conventional oil, and I would burn a quart about every 3,000 miles. Switched to a synthetic blend oil, doesn't burn a drop anymore.
    • Aug 31, 2016 4:22:36 pm
    Is 5w-20 better than 0w-20? I dont really have that much experience abt different oil. But im in VA, it gets pretty hot up here but winter isnt always that cold either.
    • Aug 31, 2016 9:20:41 pm
    jcpastor10 wrote:
    Is 5w-20 better than 0w-20? I dont really have that much experience abt different oil. But im in VA, it gets pretty hot up here but winter isnt always that cold either.

well the Ow-20 is a synthetic from Toyota. The 5w-20 is a regular (non-synthetic) from Toyota. I use the 5w-20 from Toyota in my Civic. And I use the Toyota 5w-30 in the tC.

If you want to learn more about oil, go read the oil forums at http://www.bobistheoilguy..._Car_Motor_Oil_%28PCMO%29

That will definitely help you learn quickly, but the guys there have their favorites, some like castrol, some love pennzoil, and others like valvoline.

Ok to get to your question. Both oils are fine, the synthetic can do 10k miles but the non-synthetic cannot. If you're going to do 5k mile oil changes, going with the 5w-20 will not only cost less but you'll see the same result from the synthetic.

See the situation is this.. Years ago Mobil has a true man-made, synthetic oil. Castrol came along and was marketing a non-synthetic oil (highly refined organic) and Mobil sued them. Turns out Mobil lost. Next thing you know everyone is labeling their oil synthetic. Because they can refine an organic non-syntetic to a point where it behaves just like yesterdays true sythetic. Make sense now?

That's how you get get a 5w-20 organic/non-synthetic to perform in 5k miles just like the synthetic. Oils have gotten very good in the past couple of years. And I agree, I don't and wouldn't ever try a 10k mile oil change, no matter what they told me!
Tags: change diy oil
  • 6 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: