Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

Coolant warning light blinks when braking

• 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Sep 27, 2018 4:05:19 pm
    2007 Scion tC, automatic 130k miles

Over the last week I have had an issue with the red warning light for the coolant blinks when braking. If I eased into the braking it does not come on. This morning it seemed to be a little more touchy when braking but is still is only during braking. Maybe it did it once on hard acceleration from a stop but it never does it during cornering.

To start I have googled things today and found nothing for this exact issue, mostly just the light coming on when cold and off when warmed up which is not my issue.

I did not drive the car today and left it in the garage with cardboard under it. No spotting when I got home today and do not see any other leaks.

The overflow reservoir is not at the fill line. Took the radiator cap off and coolant was at the top. Ran the car with the cap off and the heater at full blast for 20 minute. Levels did not change (not sure if they should) No noises that do not belong. Top radiator hose was hot. Put radiator cap back on and filled (for now) the overflow tank to the fill line. No change, light still blinks when braking.

Car is now at 130k miles and everything I can visibly see seems original. I'll prob "flush" the coolant this weekend but anyone have suggestions on why the coolant light blinks when braking?
    • Sep 27, 2018 4:21:35 pm
    Ok, so I continued my research and it hit me that it is not the coolant light but the oil pressure light. I will continue my research based on that but if anyone wants to throw their 2 cents in I'd be happy to hear it. According to the window sticker the oil was changed 3 months ago right before I bought it and is due for an oil change

Thanks
    • Sep 27, 2018 5:22:04 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by backroad101 on Sep 27, 2018 5:26:41pm.
    Next update. Ran to Orielly's and added a quart of 5w20. Oil pressure light previously would come on with jerky braking. Now with the quart added it only came on once when I slammed on the brakes from 40mph to 5-10ish mph. Should I just chalk this up to a learning curve of normal oil consumption on these cars? I mean looking through the owner's manual it even talks about oil consumption. Still changing the oil this weekend as it is due
    • Sep 29, 2018 6:44:15 am
    backroad101 wrote:
    Ok, so I continued my research and it hit me that it is not the coolant light but the oil pressure light. I will continue my research based on that but if anyone wants to throw their 2 cents in I'd be happy to hear it. According to the window sticker the oil was changed 3 months ago right before I bought it and is due for an oil change

Thanks

Next update. Ran to Orielly's and added a quart of 5w20. Oil pressure light previously would come on with jerky braking. Now with the quart added it only came on once when I slammed on the brakes from 40mph to 5-10ish mph. Should I just chalk this up to a learning curve of normal oil consumption on these cars? I mean looking through the owner's manual it even talks about oil consumption. Still changing the oil this weekend as it is due

it's tough to say what caused it, since you're the new owner of this 07, who knows if the last person had checked/added the correct level of oil. Glad you did the research on the oil pressure light. That must've been really low! I know there is no coolant light, as you found out.

I do know that engines can consume oil and the most is right when the oil change is due. Oil levels are highest when the oil change is done and some oils "burn off" quickly leaving a heavier oil, but a reduced level. This flash off happens to all oils, makes me wonder if something of cheap quality was used at the last oil change.

The 07 is known for the oil consumption problem which was Toyota using lower tension piston rings. But before we say it is that, keep a record of the levels..

Sometimes changing the brand of oil to something that is "thicker" can cure it. I know with my 06 I was using 5w20 Toyota brand, and the oil looked like it was being consumed. What really was happening was the volatility was too high and it was burning off as a vapor. The PCV system was catching it and reburning it. That lead to some nasty gummy deposits on the throttle body! Since that's where they re-route the PCV crankcase vapors to be re-burned. I switched to a 5w30 and the problem was gone!

There is a lot of variance in the specs for each grade of oil.. a 5w30 can be "thin" and be equal to the viscosity of a "thick" 5w20.. The grades today are so close together that this does happen.

Personally I've been enjoying Castrol Magnatec 5w30 in my civic and it's not complaining at all!

I know that you're starting out with this tC.. just keep a record of the oil levels and we can go from there, thanks for the update.
    • Oct 01, 2018 7:15:20 am
    Changed the oil yesterday. No warning lights so will keep an eye on it going forward. If I would have to give a rough guess I would guess it consumed 1 quart since the last oil change (by the previous owner) 3 months ago. Will see what happens.
    • Oct 02, 2018 2:12:29 pm
    backroad101 wrote:
    Changed the oil yesterday. No warning lights so will keep an eye on it going forward. If I would have to give a rough guess I would guess it consumed 1 quart since the last oil change (by the previous owner) 3 months ago. Will see what happens.

yeah have to wait n see. But 3 months for 1 quart is nothing when there are others who burn that in a week! That's when they really do have the oil consumption issue. Also make sure you replace the PCV valve. That has been shown to affect oil consumption on the tC. It screws into the valve cover.. I think it's a 21 or 22mm socket, I just use a closed/boxed end wrench. And yep, use the Toyota brand. People have used the aftermarket and it rattles and makes a lot of noise!
    • Oct 03, 2018 7:24:01 am
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    yeah have to wait n see. But 3 months for 1 quart is nothing when there are others who burn that in a week! That's when they really do have the oil consumption issue. Also make sure you replace the PCV valve. That has been shown to affect oil consumption on the tC. It screws into the valve cover.. I think it's a 21 or 22mm socket, I just use a closed/boxed end wrench. And yep, use the Toyota brand. People have used the aftermarket and it rattles and makes a lot of noise!

Good call on the PCV valve. Hadn't thought of that. Ordered the (Toyota) part last night and can quickly do when it comes in as the engine cover is already off as a prep to paint it.
    • Oct 03, 2018 6:08:04 pm
    backroad101 wrote:
    Good call on the PCV valve. Hadn't thought of that. Ordered the (Toyota) part last night and can quickly do when it comes in as the engine cover is already off as a prep to paint it.

hey glad I could remind ya about the PCV! Perfect timing to replace it when you're taking the engine cover off to paint it up. was the engine cover faded? or you just wanted a different color? Be interesting to see if the old pcv valve is all gummed up, or if it's free flowin..
    • Oct 07, 2018 3:19:43 pm
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    backroad101 wrote:

hey glad I could remind ya about the PCV! Perfect timing to replace it when you're taking the engine cover off to paint it up. was the engine cover faded? or you just wanted a different color? Be interesting to see if the old pcv valve is all gummed up, or if it's free flowin..

Yeah it looked kinda gummed up. $12 well spent. As far as the cover I am painting the center oval blue with silver lettering and the rest charcoal to kinda copy the them of my seats/interior.
    • Oct 07, 2018 8:07:36 pm

backroad101 wrote:
    Yeah it looked kinda gummed up. $12 well spent. As far as the cover I am painting the center oval blue with silver lettering and the rest charcoal to kinda copy the them of my seats/interior.

ahh it was gummed up! Well that can be part of the oil consumption problem. Have to see how it goes now. Oh you gotta take pics of that paint job you're doing! That sounds like it's going to look awesome!
  • 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: