Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

BUZZ

• 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Mar 06, 2018 1:14:48 pm
    Have 2010 with 98000mi valve train tappets making a little noise More of a sewing machine noise that a tapping any quick fixes other than a major repair
    • Mar 07, 2018 7:21:52 am
    Dutchman wrote:
    Have 2010 with 98000mi valve train tappets making a little noise More of a sewing machine noise that a tapping any quick fixes other than a major repair

Welcome to the club. How long have you had her? Have you changed the oil to recommended viscosity?

Post some pics of her, let us see your beautiful TC.
    • Mar 07, 2018 3:45:53 pm
    Had it a week changer iol per owners manual still has singing tappets is there something I can pour into oil to quiet lifters
    • Mar 08, 2018 7:05:04 am
    Liqui Moly specifically for noisy lifters/tappet or oil additive. I have not personally used them. Can anyone add any opinions?

http://www.liqui-moly.com...fix-noisy-tappetslifters/

http://www.auto-tune-up-a...m/valve-lifter-noise.html

https://itstillruns.com/rid-engine-lifter-noise-7910393.html

• Mar 08, 2018 2:57:28 pm
    Thanks Yotagirl I,ll try the Moly
    • Mar 08, 2018 11:42:27 pm
    Dutchman wrote:

nothing that wrong with a lil' extra moly. Bob is the oil guy forum, you can get a lot more in depth advice from that crew over there!

What I'd like is a video of your engine running, I'd like to hear it, and the noise you're hearing..
    • Mar 09, 2018 1:14:21 am
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    Dutchman wrote:

nothing that wrong with a lil' extra moly. Bob is the oil guy forum, you can get a lot more in depth advice from that crew over there!

What I'd like is a video of your engine running, I'd like to hear it, and the noise you're hearing..

I agree, a video would help us out a great deal. Glad I could help. Thanks Mich, I forgot about Bob.
    • Mar 10, 2018 6:50:11 am
    yotagirl wrote:
    I agree, a video would help us out a great deal. Glad I could help. Thanks Mich, I forgot about Bob.

don't forget about BOB!! never!! lol.. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php is what we're talking about.

but video, definitely!! *crowd chants* VIDEO! VIDEO!! VIDEO!!
    • Mar 12, 2018 12:45:00 pm
    I can't believe I forgot Bob.

Did you get a chance to try the molys?
    • Mar 12, 2018 2:25:53 pm
    Couldn't find moly Hydraulic lfer juice around here Some coming via Amazon Try soon
    • Mar 12, 2018 6:08:53 pm
    Dutchman wrote:
    Couldn't find moly Hydraulic lfer juice around here Some coming via Amazon Try soon

oh you're saying you ordered liquid moly from amazon and it's on it's way to you.. got it.. also a video of the noise would be good to have.. like to hear what you're hearing.
    • Mar 20, 2018 5:27:16 am
    UPDATE Just added Liqui Moly Hydraulic Lifter Additive along with oil and filter change .. Much to my surprise this stuff worked. It took about 2 miles of driving till the noise abated immensely. When accelerating from stop there is hardly any noise [you have to listen for it]. if carrying on a normal conversation with a rider or, perhaps yourself ,the tappet noise is 95% gone It is so much better I am sure it will be easy to forget about. Once moving noise is inperceptable.. Hope this stuff works as well for you if you try it I'm sold.WOOHOO
    • Mar 21, 2018 5:17:54 am
    Dutchman wrote:
    UPDATE Just added Liqui Moly Hydraulic Lifter Additive along with oil and filter change .. Much to my surprise this stuff worked. It took about 2 miles of driving till the noise abated immensely. When accelerating from stop there is hardly any noise [you have to listen for it]. if carrying on a normal conversation with a rider or, perhaps yourself ,the tappet noise is 95% gone It is so much better I am sure it will be easy to forget about. Once moving noise is inperceptable.. Hope this stuff works as well for you if you try it I'm sold.WOOHOO

hey where's the video for all of us to hear what you're hearing? Glad it worked out, but would be nice to hear it. I know that different oils have different oil additive packages. What oil are you using along with the moly? And don't forget to check your oil level. Don't want to overfill.

Different oils have different additive packages, some use titanium as the anti-wear and others use moly. The castrol that I'm using in the civic has moly in it. The mobil I was using before was using titanium and I just sounded louder. When I got the moly-based Castrol in the civic, it quieted down and sounded much more coherent.

I think they tried to switch to titanium because it's cheaper, but you'll see if you go to bob is the oil guy forum and look under oil analysis (used/new) that many oil are using moly again.

but please post up and let us know what oil was in there. I'd like to research it to see what is in it originally. Then what you can do is switch to an oil with more moly in it, and you won't have to use the liquid moly all the time. Just a thought.

• Mar 21, 2018 7:54:33 am
    • Edited 2 times, last by Dutchman on Mar 21, 2018 11:10:00am.
    When I bought car a month ago I immediately changed oil and put Castrol for high milage cars 5/20 in it. Car made the noise and it got a little louder as I drove it. The dealer I bought from said they did an oil change before they put it on the lot, but I'm sure it was their bulk oil, brand unknown to me. I know I didn't have to change again as it had only 800 mi on the Castrol. But I had added some Marvels Mystery oil to it with no result. So I Just changed again to start with a level playing field. Put STP Pro formula 5/20 organic in the engine along wit Liqui Moly. From what you just said the STP oil might have done the trick but too late now. I'll do some research and see woh makes the STP oil if they don't make it themselves, which I doubt.Car sits outside and with this latest Noreaster hitting us it ran nice and quiet this AM. Sorry no video as I am no as tech savvy as to be able to figure out how to post a video Taking it in Friday to my favorite mechanic to have the suspension checked out. I know with the way car is designed and with the 215/45s it is not the smoothest thing on the road but there is a lot of clunking going on. On the whole I really like the thing . On Saturday a Tahoe was attempting to push me up a mountain., couldn't outrun him on straights but left him in the dust on the turns. Wife was yelling at me but a challenge is a challenge.
    • Mar 22, 2018 1:55:51 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by Dutchman on Mar 23, 2018 2:40:57pm.
    What a car. Had it on the rack at my trusted mechanic. He and I walked around under it and pulled and poked and checked underside thoroughly. He said the underside looked almost new. And it did. He heard no tappet noise Love this Scion. Hew said that at 98700mi I had another150000 left
    • Mar 24, 2018 3:01:47 pm
    Dutchman wrote:
    When I bought car a month ago I immediately changed oil and put Castrol for high milage cars 5/20 in it. Car made the noise and it got a little louder as I drove it. The dealer I bought from said they did an oil change before they put it on the lot, but I'm sure it was their bulk oil, brand unknown to me. I know I didn't have to change again as it had only 800 mi on the Castrol. But I had added some Marvels Mystery oil to it with no result. So I Just changed again to start with a level playing field. Put STP Pro formula 5/20 organic in the engine along wit Liqui Moly. From what you just said the STP oil might have done the trick but too late now. I'll do some research and see woh makes the STP oil if they don't make it themselves, which I doubt.Car sits outside and with this latest Noreaster hitting us it ran nice and quiet this AM. Sorry no video as I am no as tech savvy as to be able to figure out how to post a video Taking it in Friday to my favorite mechanic to have the suspension checked out. I know with the way car is designed and with the 215/45s it is not the smoothest thing on the road but there is a lot of clunking going on. On the whole I really like the thing . On Saturday a Tahoe was attempting to push me up a mountain., couldn't outrun him on straights but left him in the dust on the turns. Wife was yelling at me but a challenge is a challenge.

What a car. Had it on the rack at my trusted mechanic. He and I walked around under it and pulled and poked and checked underside thoroughly. He said the underside looked almost new. And it did. He heard no tappet noise Love this Scion. Hew said that at 98700mi I had another150000 left

hey thanks for the update, dutchman.. So there was castrol but then you swapped it for the STP brand at autozone. Yeah not sure who makes that (it's not STP, someone just rebranding) or what is in it. You're right, be good to do some research. I checked out the oil forum and nothing yet. I think autozone just started selling that stuff.

No worries about the video, would've been nice to hear what you're hearing. And yeah there are plenty more tire offerings for the stock tire size than when the tC first came out! I love watching those suv/truck "bro-dozer" attitude drivers try and get up on my butt! I just keep accelerating around the corner and I watch them with their high-center of gravity trying to keep up.. But physics takes over and you can watch them in the rearview drifting wider and wider til they have to slam on the brakes!! hahaha.. no, mr. bro-dozer you DO NOT have a corvette! lol.. really upsets their fragile egos when a "little tC" gets away from them..

ok so the clunking? what did the mechanic find? It's nice to see Toyota's engineering show through this many miles/years later! but the clunking? could be a bad sway bar link (they do fail around 100k miles)..

sounds like your engine needed some moly. I know (as I said before) there was a move there for awhile to use the cheaper titanium anti-wear additive but moly is making a come back lately. I've always liked it, as it makes the engine more hushed, smoother sounding. Not loud. I know Castrol GTX has moly in it.
Tags: buzz
  • 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: