Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

2010 Scion tC brake/tail light bulb replacement

• 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Dec 05, 2017 12:19:33 pm
    • Edited 2 times, last by Jak2099 on Dec 05, 2017 12:22:45pm.
    Hi All,

First off, thanks to everyone on here for your help in the past! It's saved me lots of money to DIY it, and it's a lot of fun too

I got pulled over a few weeks ago for a burned-out brake light. I assumed the officer meant the brake lights that turn on when you press the brake pedal, so I replaced the left and right ones with red LEDs. I got pulled over again on Sunday for the same thing, but when I checked, everything was fine -- the lights turn on when I press the brake.

I did notice that the tail lights do not turn on so I'm guessing he meant these, but I'm not sure which ones they are. My tail lights look like this:

I replaced the brake lights (1st circular light from the left in the image above). I notice the 2nd circular light from left turns on when I lock/unlock the car using the key remote. Which one(s) are the tail light(s) that should be on at night? The smallest circular one on the right, or the trapezoidal one on the left?

Thanks!
    • Dec 05, 2017 12:44:49 pm
    • Edited 3 times, last by Jak2099 on Dec 05, 2017 3:59:58pm.
    I just searched for LED tail lights not working, and saw others had a similar problem. I'll check the fuses.

edit: FYI, I got Sylvania 7443R LED lights: Link

edit#2: Fuses seem fine. I wonder if the Sylvania 7443R LEDs do not work like double-filament bulbs.... I'm heading to autozone to pick up some incadescent DF bulbs to see if that works.

edit#3: yup, once I replaced with regular incadescent bulbs, everything is working.
    • Dec 06, 2017 3:27:16 am
    Jak2099 wrote:
    I just searched for LED tail lights not working, and saw others had a similar problem. I'll check the fuses.

edit: FYI, I got Sylvania 7443R LED lights

edit#2: Fuses seem fine. I wonder if the Sylvania 7443R LEDs do not work like double-filament bulbs.... I'm heading to autozone to pick up some incadescent DF bulbs to see if that works.

edit#3: yup, once I replaced with regular incadescent bulbs, everything is working.

hey jak2099, nice to see ya again!

ive heard not so good things about those sylvania led lights. If you want to go with LED's look up superbrightleds.com or ledlight.com. I did try sylvania led's for my civic project car, and they were terrible. I returned them to autozone. They were so dim, the incandescent was better! I went with superbrightled's for the trunk light and WOW, that's what I'm talking about!

ok back to what you're asking.. on your tail lights.. the top is the reverse light, the bigger circle is the running (parking) light/brake light, the smaller circle is the turn signal or emergency flashers.

The one that should be on at night without hitting the brakes is the bigger circle one. That should be a 7443R (for red). The turn signal is 7440 (clear), and the back up is a 921. Now these numbers are for incandescent but it'll give you a reference for the LED, if that's how you want to go.

And usually most LED's now are not polarity sensitive. Meaning you can install them either way and they'll work. The older ones needed to be installed just right, positive to positive, etc.. Just looks like the sylvania was junk.. time for a better quality led. For now just run the incandescents dont need another excuse to pull you over.

oh and the led's will dim for parking/running light brightness, and then go brighter for braking. sounds like you got some duds. hope that helps..
    • Dec 06, 2017 9:38:18 am
    thanks mich! Yea I think those Sylvanias were duds. I'll check out the brand you recommended. Thanks again!
    • Dec 06, 2017 6:57:44 pm
    Jak2099 wrote:
    thanks mich! Yea I think those Sylvanias were duds. I'll check out the brand you recommended. Thanks again!

hey you're welcome! I'd probably say that superbrightleds.com has a better site compared to ledlight.com Because SBL has a database for any car, and what bulb works with each application. I just ordered some lights for the interior of the tC, got them in like 2 days, first class mail. Nice!
    • Dec 07, 2017 1:51:21 pm
    UPDATE: just got an email from superbrightleds.com they're having a Christmas sale.. valid until december 20th. Use coupon code HOLIDAY17 for 15% off! cool..
    • Dec 07, 2017 2:15:20 pm
    Sweet! I'm gonna order a pair now!
    • Dec 07, 2017 2:34:33 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by Jak2099 on Dec 07, 2017 2:40:55pm.
    edit: oops, I meant the 7443-R27-T-CK: Red

i'm thinking of these: https://www.superbrightle...it/2614/5711/#tab/Reviews

any thoughts?
    • Dec 07, 2017 11:08:32 pm
    Jak2099 wrote:
    edit: oops, I meant the 7443-R27-T-CK: Red

i'm thinking of these: https://www.superbrightle...it/2614/5711/#tab/Reviews

any thoughts?

heres the link to the ones you are looking at.. just if someone else wants to look at them..
    https://www.superbrightle...it/3554/7520/#tab/Reviews

Looks nice! Hey the only thing you could do is try it! And these are for the brake lights, right? That's what I was cross-referencing the 7443 (red) to.. Guess you'll be the test subject and if they work out well, post up pics! Others may try it too!
  • 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: