Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

2006 vs 2014/2015 reliability

• 2 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Jul 09, 2018 3:53:01 am
    I have a five speed 2006 that I really love to drive. It currently has 96,000 on it. However, it’s been a maintenance disaster. I had to have a new transmission at 78,000 miles, every little piece of plastic on the thing has broken, I tapped the plastic front bumper on a curb and a bunch of it later cracked and peeled off on the freeway at 75 miles an hour.

However, as I plan on replacing it, a newer one with 30 to 40,000 miles on it is in my price range and pretty much has fewer negative things to it than almost anything else I can afford.

Big question: are the newer models any more reliable? Or did I just have something close to a lemon?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
    Thx
    Tom
    • Jul 09, 2018 4:49:34 am
    Tjincville wrote:
    I have a five speed 2006 that I really love to drive. It currently has 96,000 on it. However, it’s been a maintenance disaster. I had to have a new transmission at 78,000 miles, every little piece of plastic on the thing has broken, I tapped the plastic front bumper on a curb and a bunch of it later cracked and peeled off on the freeway at 75 miles an hour.

However, as I plan on replacing it, a newer one with 30 to 40,000 miles on it is in my price range and pretty much has fewer negative things to it than almost anything else I can afford.

Big question: are the newer models any more reliable? Or did I just have something close to a lemon?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
    Thx
    Tom

I looked into your old posts about the o2 sensors, and I do remember the problems you were having. Who knows what the previous owner did to your car. That's the biggest problem we've seen over the years on the forum. Who knows if the front bumper cover was previously hit on, causing a stress crack you couldn't see, you hit it again, bam! It cracks all over. Paint peeling off at 75mph? lol.. That's definitely a cheap re-paint by some paint shop.

The transmission, I'm surprised you got to 78k on an 06 Manual. The transmissions were from the celica and those had a TON of problems. Many, many, replacements.

I'd say the newer manual transmissions don't have those problems, and the newer ones if you got it from a good owner, should be reliable.

Nothing is reliable if it's beat on and abused. Even a toyota.
  • 2 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: