Club Scion tC

Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

2014 Scion Tc Monogram issues

• 13 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    Hey all, figured I would drop in and see if anyone else is having issues out of their new Tc. bought mine with 6 miles on the clock and I am currently having some issues now with 3,600 miles. The car had a new clutch put in it at 800 miles. I am a service adviser at an independent European repair shop, so I used out system to create a R.O of issues the car is having.

I should not have to be doing this with 3600 miles on the car...

Words are a bit small, here is the full list.

Intermittently transmission will not go into 1st/ Reverse gears, binding; have to try several times to get vehicle into gear.

Intermittently transmission grinds going into 3rd / 4th gear, with clutch fully depressed. Not happening at a certain speed or RPM.

Chirping noise coming from gearbox area, while car is under acceleration there is a high pitch chirping noise from 3rd gear + if the gas pedal is released, or decelerating the noise goes away, reapply gas and noise returns.

Transmission sometimes feels "clunky" while shifting gears, almost the feeling of a faulty mount or bushing.

Push button start has intermittent problem, depress clutch pedal, push button car will sometimes fully start, will sometimes go to "position 2" and no start, will also sometime start and die immediately. Sometimes car will take 3-4 times to start.

In first gear, with clutch pedal depressed, car has a whining noise coming from gear box at slow speeds ( coasting in first gear, clutch pedal engaged), this problem has been looked at and deemed " Normal" I however would like it looked over again.

Thanks for any input before I drive this thing back to the dealer...

UPDATE- 8-9-14
    Toyota sent out a regional service manager to inspect the car for noises and issues that I have listed above. He drove it then told me that he would have to get his hands on another one to compare, a few days later I received a call from the local dealer informing me that he had driven another one and that mine had no issues. Apparently they drove the exact same. Which means it was noisy.. The local dealership drained my transmission fluid and replaced it with new fluid, I guess trying to find debris in the fluid. The Trans is still very noisy and still has a lot of unnecessary play and a clunky feeling to it. High pitch chirp in 4t-6th gears. Just very unpleasant. Because Toyota has not attempted repairs of any kind and these issues have been deemed "normal" and a "break in period" Toyota has given me the option to start the lemon law and arbitration paperwork. I am hoping for trade assist or a full buy back of the vehicle due to this in going issues at a mere 4,500 miles. Will update as I get more.
    Wow that is ridiculous for a new car of any sorts. I know they issues with the throw-out bearings early on, but that only makes a humming noise, not grinding, clunking, etc. If Toyota is claiming normal operation i would absolutely begin Lemon Law paperwork. Good luck, and sorry to hear about your situation. Make sure to keep us updated in case anyone else has the same issues!!
    Dang thats a lot of trouble... I got my '14 with 7miles and a manual tranny. My 1st gear does whine with the clutch in. I think that is normal with these cars. Also right when I got the car sometimes my 1st gear wouldnt engage on the 1st try, i would need to pop it back to neutral and would work on the 2nd time. That 1st gear thing happened a few times but it probably stopped at around 4000miles. Honestly, within the 1st 5000miles or so I would get clunk from the tranny if I didnt shift smoothly. I now have 20k miles on it and I havent had any problem with 1st gear, or any clunking noises for atleast 10k miles- other than 1st gear whines with the clutch in.

I'm not saying yours doesnt have problems, but I do think some noise and stifness in the tranny is normal for a brand new car like ours. Some of the noise is also probably due to the fact that our cars have no acoustical dampening (thats why road noise is pretty loud) compared to other cars.

Hope you get it figured out man
    • Edited 1 times, last by Nazblue5807 on .
    Mine gets stuck trying to shift In first quite a bit, the noise really bothers me. I drove a 15 yesterday and it did the same thing.
    I drug scion North America into this because of that whine in 1st. Who knows what the result will be.
    So sorry about your luck man. Keep us updated, I'm interested to see what Scion will do...
    Me too
    • Edited 2 times, last by darius2390 on .
    I Also own a TC monogram had to take in at 3500 miles for a clutch being "shredded " they told me it had to be a factory issue and replaced it. now im having an issue with it cutting off at random. 70 on the hwy all the sudden no power, put it in neutral engine dies, took it in they said theirs no problem . HAS ANYONE ELSE had this problem???? I really love this car but it seem like they are having a lot of problems
    darius2390 wrote:
    I also own a TC monogram had to take in at 3500 miles for a clutch being "shredded " they told me it had to be a factory issue and replaced it. now im having an issue with it cutting off at random. 70 on the hwy all the sudden no power, put it in neutral engine dies, took it in they said theirs no problem . HAS ANYONE ELSE had this problem???? I really love this car but it seem like they are having a lot of problems.

I have the same issues you just described but in my 06 tC. Come to find out it was do to a faulty CAI which killed my MAF sensor which caused the car to run real lean and burned out both of my O2 sensors which cause the car to run like crap. At times causing it to go into limp mode or stale out while driving down the highway or at stop lights once the clutch was in. I wonder if they are having sensor issues?
    • Edited 1 times, last by darius2390 on .
    I took it in again after it stalled 4 time in traffic, the cruse control stopped the radio went crazy and the battery light flashed . They said it was a loose ground strap from the battery to the bottom of the transmission. I hope thats all thats wrong. it really messed me up , had to go drive my 93 camry on long trips NOT COOL
    • Edited 1 times, last by Parks on .
    sounds like they found the prob of it dying. My manual tranny has a small chirping sound that starts whenever i reverse for a bit, then it slowly goes away as i drive. I am assuming its just breaking in. Gonna mention it when i get my 5,000 mile.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues with 1st and reverse what did you do to resolve this problem? I originally thought it was me because it is my first manual car but I let one of my friends who only drives manual cars try it out and he said that there was an issue there and I should take it back to the dealer
  • 13 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: