Club Scion tC

Site DoS
It appears the site has been targeted by some not happy people and attempting to DoS us, causing some hellaciously slow page loading. We have banned most of Croatia/Russia for the time being! Apologies!
Forum Utilities
More Issues and Feature Requests Threads
Viewing Thread

Cabin filter

• 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Jul 23, 2018 9:51:45 am
    I have a 2007 TC Scion. I saw there is a compartment for a cabin filter but it is empty. I called the local toyota dealership and they have no listing for one. Do I need one?
    • Jul 23, 2018 11:55:44 am
    lori wrote:
    I have a 2007 TC Scion. I saw there is a compartment for a cabin filter but it is empty. I called the local toyota dealership and they have no listing for one. Do I need one?

hey lori, welcome back, long time no post! Well to get to your question, yes the 07 tC DOES have a slot for the cabin air filter. The reason Toyota left it out is because they did not use a blower fan that was strong enough to overcome the air resistance if a cabin air filter was used. I think it was 09 they updated the factory part to be more powerful.

What does this mean for you? Put a cabin air filter in but be aware that you'll have a slightly less flow of air out of the vents. Some people notice, some don't. Toyota doesn't have a listing for that filter because they knew that if they restricted the air it could put a load on the blower fan and eventually would cause it to wear out. Plus they wanted a certain amount of air to flow over the a/c evaporator coil behind the dash.. They didn't want the warranty issues associated with that, so they left out the filter.

Notice that the filter holder *IS* there?! See the engineers did plan on it being there, but the bean-counters/accountants cheapened it up by going with a less powerful blower motor.

The solution is if you want a filter, get a denso filter online (I personally like these) or another source, you'll eventually learn the cheap junk from the good stuff just by looking at it. Either way.. get a cabin air filter, put it in, run it, see if there is a reduction of air flow.. If there is, see how long you can run the motor before it dies.

My original fan (without a cabin air filter) died and toyota wanted like $160-200, no thanks. I got a TYC aftermarket blower fan for about $35-40, installed it, had better air flow with a cabin air filter, than the original w/out a filter!

My solution to this is simple, replace the hvac blower fan with the TYC, then install a new cabin air filter. I say this, that way you don't have to put up with lower air flow from the original blower fan.

Here's a link to what I bought.. yes sometimes things die (when you read some of the reviews), the TYC has a lifetime warranty on it, if it dies, you get another one for free! I did get one that made some noise, got another been working perfectly ever since.

https://www.amazon.com/TY...nt-Assembly/dp/B000GOG3MO

See? I know I'm a bit in-depth but hey now you know.. I'd say get a filter and see how it goes, if the blower fan does die, TYC has a nice quality unit for cheap to replace yours! and yes it's VERY simple to replace!
    • Jul 23, 2018 2:06:22 pm
    Thank you very much. I am going to buy buy one. All of my other vehicles have a cabin filter.
    I was just puzzled when I saw the compartment empty. Thanks again for your help.
    • Jul 31, 2018 1:05:17 pm
    lori wrote:
    Thank you very much. I am going to buy buy one. All of my other vehicles have a cabin filter.
    I was just puzzled when I saw the compartment empty. Thanks again for your help.

hey lori!! You're welcome for the help, by now you probably got a cabin air filter.. How's it working for you?
Tags: cabin filter
  • 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: