Club Scion tC

Club Scion tC redesign almost here!
It's been a while, CStC fam! CStC will soon be migrating to an entirely new backend in the next few months! We are finally looking for anyone interested in testing the new system before we go live. Contact SqMK for details!
Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

Tow hook

• 24 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
    • Sep 04, 2016 9:50:03 am
    Hey y'all, got a question I thought I'd ask and get yalls opinion on. What do y'all think about keeping your tow hook installed on the front of your tC? I have a red one I think would look sharp on my car but I'm kinda worried it'll look ricey and I really don't want that. Lol chime in with your thoughts ladies and gentlemen.
    • Sep 04, 2016 1:56:54 pm
    okay maybe I'm different, but I always worried about the styrofoam bumper crash absorber that is right there, getting wet. If that got wet it may not absorb enough in a crash. But hey that's my thoughts. Always being exposed to the elements could also start corrosion on the bumper support. Usually that entire area is covered and limited weather can get to it. That's why I didn't
    • Sep 04, 2016 4:04:03 pm
    I think the Red one looks nice and swell.

But, the Security person in me says No.

It makes it easier for someone with a Tow Truck to 'lift' your vehicle.

My 2 cents.

• Sep 04, 2016 4:36:28 pm
    Sciontc_mich I didn't think about that. Although typically when I wreck I tend to do it right. Lol and mr luv, it would look sharp. I'm not too worried about tow trucks out here where I live. Most all of the tow companies here use flat beds. Not to mention it's made of aluminum so I don't think it's actually meant to be used. Lol
    • Sep 05, 2016 4:11:41 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by MR_LUV on Sep 05, 2016 4:12:12am.
    Spence306 wrote:
    Not to mention it's made of aluminum so I don't think it's actually meant to be used. Lol

Red Aluminum Tow Hook...Description: "Towing Capacity: 1.5 tons. Tow the car safely without damaging stock or aftermarket bumpers". Lol...

Aluminum Tow Hook

• Sep 06, 2016 12:17:56 am
    Lol that's true Mr luv. Lol I'm not sure I would trust it however. And if it did get stolen......tC2 here I come! LolxD
    • Sep 07, 2016 8:38:50 pm
    I am not much of a fan of the tow hooks or straps. (am I telling my age LOL) But I think red would definitely pop. I haven't seen many in person, just pics, and they are always a neon pink, blue, orange, and green colors. I wanna see pics when you put it on. Before and after pics.
    • Sep 08, 2016 7:48:34 pm
    Lol yeah I'm not really into the neon colors. Lol and I definitely will share pics when I install it.
    • Oct 06, 2016 6:15:30 pm
    I think the red tow hook will look sharp. I am more of a fan of tow straps on the front and tow hooks on the rear but thats just me. I currently have a gold Password JDM one and it may look ricey to most people but I don't care. I think it looks nice and thats all you should worry about too!!!

In regards to the absorber getting wet and the rebar rusting, I would personally not worry about that. I work as an auto body tech and I see cars everyday that have never had the front/rear bumpers removed and the rebars are always rusty. Some cars don't have splash shields or front valances so the elements come up under the bumper or through the grilles and cause corrosion. Can't really avoid it but wouldn't worry about the safety being compromised. As well, the absorber really doesn't do anything in an impact but go poof. It really just supports the bumper so it sits off the rebar.

Hope this helps!
    • Oct 06, 2016 7:56:17 pm
    stingystanos wrote:
    I think the red tow hook will look sharp. I am more of a fan of tow straps on the front and tow hooks on the rear but thats just me. I currently have a gold Password JDM one and it may look ricey to most people but I don't care. I think it looks nice and thats all you should worry about too!!!

In regards to the absorber getting wet and the rebar rusting, I would personally not worry about that. I work as an auto body tech and I see cars everyday that have never had the front/rear bumpers removed and the rebars are always rusty. Some cars don't have splash shields or front valances so the elements come up under the bumper or through the grilles and cause corrosion. Can't really avoid it but wouldn't worry about the safety being compromised. As well, the absorber really doesn't do anything in an impact but go poof. It really just supports the bumper so it sits off the rebar.

Hope this helps!

I agree, as long as YOU are happy with it!!
    • Oct 06, 2016 9:39:33 pm
    Thanks y'all! I hadn't thought about the tow strap. That's a good idea.
    • Jun 05, 2017 6:05:04 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by MR_LUV on Nov 06, 2017 11:26:50am.

Hey Spence, Show us your Red Tow Hook

• Jun 07, 2017 4:20:43 pm
    • Jun 07, 2017 4:40:35 pm
    notbad.jpg

I recently put a $10 tow strap from Amazon on my car because the little circle thing fell off during a car wash. Surprisingly I've gotten a lot of complements on it.
    • Jun 08, 2017 12:55:03 pm
    I like the look of it. If you are worried about safety there is a youtube video of a guy who did an install with the original tow hook cover still attached. He drilled a hole in that and then placed a rubber gromit inside the hole to clean up the look and popped the tow hook back in. Now instead of having a gaping hole, it just looks super clean and natural.

Hope this helped.
    • Jun 09, 2017 12:27:57 am
    Spence306 wrote:

Nice, I like the red!!
    • Jun 09, 2017 5:23:05 am
    I like your VA Plates with the Snake logo and
    "Don't Tread 0n Me" statement

• Nov 06, 2017 9:17:38 am
    I have a 08' tC. when i remove the bumper cover, there's nothing to screw in the tow hook...

help?
    • Nov 06, 2017 6:48:28 pm
    hey nothing wrong with asking a question, but no need to ask it that many times.. I've kept this post for you here.

And all you do is open up that circle shaped hole, then you'll see the hole that's in the bumper support (metal) where you screw in the tow hook. It's there on every tC. You say you can't see it? If it's not there (use a flashlight to look into bumper cover hole) then someone replaced the metal bumper support! That's really the only explanation.

• Nov 07, 2017 12:49:59 pm
    sciontc_mich wrote:
    And all you do is open up that circle shaped hole, then you'll see the hole that's in the bumper support (metal) where you screw in the tow hook. It's there on every tC. You say you can't see it? If it's not there (use a flashlight to look into bumper cover hole) then someone replaced the metal bumper support! That's really the only explanation.

I bought a tow hook off amazon, the total length is about 7.5". Since you're the only one to respond - you are right. they must have removed the metal bumper support...
Tags: hook tow
  • 24 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Jump to Forum: