Club Scion tC

Image Issues Fixed
We made some changes when migrating the site from one AWS account to another, and this resulted in some ill-configured images in various parts of the site. We have fixed the problem. You may need to clear browser cache to fix the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

Alternator

• 8 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    Just wanted to get some threads up on regular maintenance items and possible prices/locations users can order from.

For our alternator, OEM standard amperage is 100 amps. You can find this alternator around the Internet ranging from 120$-350$ depending where you purchase it. Granted, Ebay has them, but I'll stick to a reputable seller instead. It'll be hard to find brand new ones, as many manufacturers do not resell the new ones they produce....instead they rely on the aftermarket to rebuild to ones turned back in for resale.

The part is not hard to install and is located at the top, passenger side of the engine bay. It takes 2 bolts (14mm near block, 12mm under alternator) to be removed before it's off and installation is just the reverse and just as simple. The hardest part is to get the, 12mm bolt out from the bottom b/c you have to do it blindly. Other than that, if you notice a voltage drop or dimming accessories while driving...have your battery/alternator checked. If it comes down to your battery, that's a quick and easy fix anyone can do. If it's the alternator, it's not as quick and easy as a battery, but it's still relatively simple to do.

This is the pic from TRDsparks:
    Any info on where high-out put alternators are available and what their amp ranges are?
    I don't believe there are any high amp alternators for our car yet. There are some tCs running HUGE audio systems with stock alternators and the rest is just regulated by capacitors and their upgraded battery. Main thing, although I do NO audio..., is to look for a battery that has a high reserve capacity if you're going for more electrical power in audio/visual equipment.
    TheFantasticG wrote:
    Any info on where high-out put alternators are available and what their amp ranges are?

Instead of getting a high output alternator, couldn't you just get an overdrive crank pulley?
    That has the risk of burning up the internal regulator on the alternator faster. You don't want to overwork your alternator but assist it with other supporting modifications...such as capacitors.
    Ahh cool, did not think of the other things it would effect.
    • Edited 1 times, last by johnywade14 on .
    maybe it has effect
    • Edited 1 times, last by CadenceScion on .
    Web wrote:
    I don't believe there are any high amp alternators for our car yet. There are some tCs running HUGE audio systems with stock alternators and the rest is just regulated by capacitors and their upgraded battery. Main thing, although I do NO audio..., is to look for a battery that has a high reserve capacity if you're going for more electrical power in audio/visual equipment.

OEM alternators can be rewound/respun for higher amperage outputs, no more than 200 amps to avoid ruining electrical components. I know of someone in Groton, NY that is currently doing this. Once I have more info I'll post it.

Batteries w/ higher reserve capacity (CCA):

* Optima
    http://www.optimabatteries.com/audio_electronics/
    * Kinetik <---- Currently using now, Kinetik HC1200, Kinetik HC600
    http://www.kinetikaudio.com/2009/default.asp
  • 8 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: