Club Scion tC

Image Issues Fixed
We made some changes when migrating the site from one AWS account to another, and this resulted in some ill-configured images in various parts of the site. We have fixed the problem. You may need to clear browser cache to fix the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience!
Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

New To Scion-Stereo Help

  • 13 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 1
    Hello all.

    Just picked up a beautiful 2009 Scion tC with 125k on it yesterday. Previous owner had put in an aftermarket stereo, but replaced it with the stock Pioneer stereo before selling it.

    They didn't have the trim around the stereo, so it's just in there with nothing around it. Also, the retractable cover that closes over the stereo is missing.

    I am looking for those parts, and wondering what you all think the best replacement stereo that I can directly swap out without anything else would be. The stock speakers sound incredible to me already.

    I'll post about fog lights in the proper thread.

    you can try mcgeorge toyota for the missing door/trim pieces. you can find them at https://parts.mcgeorgetoyota.com/

    the door might have been missing because a nav headunit upgrade from scion was available but it required the door be removed. to find something that fits perfectly with the door in place you should look at crutchfield.com they have accurate measurements of all the newest headunits out there. It would be impossible for anyone to know every headunit at this time. But Crutchfield would definitely be the place to tell you what fits.

    also.. isn't it crazy that the speakers (stock) from 09 still sound good!? I have an 06 and they still are ok! I have replacements ready to go, but wondering how long the stock ones will last! lol.. I might replace mine in the spring. Whenever you do replace the speakers, the front speakers require spacers to get enough clearance to roll the window down and not hit the speakers.
    Holy crap the speakers are incredible in this 09! I got it from a private car dealer, but whoever owned it before me modded the engine somehow. The only thing I can recognize is the cold air intake. Exhaust doesn't sound stock either, it handles like an expensive sports car! I can take curves rated at 25mph-at 80+.

    I am literally having my midlife crisis and second childhood right now.

    I went over it today, it need a bottom grill, fog lights, the trim around the head unit, and could use front tires.

    Shifts nice and tight, clutch is perfect. One of my co-workers said it has a "short throw" shifter in it.

    Custom halo headlights with smoked glass.

    Whoever owned it painted the rims carbon black, and the paint is coming off, so I am going to get them powder coated.

    I want tint, Bluetooth stereo, purple inside lights and purple lights underneath.

    Is it possible to mod the dash lights to another color other than orange?
    y0himba wrote:
    Holy crap the speakers are incredible in this 09! I got it from a private car dealer, but whoever owned it before me modded the engine somehow. The only thing I can recognize is the cold air intake. Exhaust doesn't sound stock either, it handles like an expensive sports car! I can take curves rated at 25mph-at 80+.

    I am literally having my midlife crisis and second childhood right now.

    I went over it today, it need a bottom grill, fog lights, the trim around the head unit, and could use front tires.

    Shifts nice and tight, clutch is perfect. One of my co-workers said it has a "short throw" shifter in it.

    Custom halo headlights with smoked glass.

    Whoever owned it painted the rims carbon black, and the paint is coming off, so I am going to get them powder coated.

    I want tint, Bluetooth stereo, purple inside lights and purple lights underneath.

    Is it possible to mod the dash lights to another color other than orange?


    good to hear you're enjoying your tC.. A lot of people back in the day called it a "non-sports car" but it's a sporty car, good for what it is and enjoyable. If you do some research you'll find out that the first gen (yours) tC is based off the 4-door Avensis sedan in europe and japan. Interesting story how the tC came to be.

    glad to hear your manual trans + clutch is doing well, sometimes they are a mess and sometimes they're good, sounds like you got a good one! I'm not bashing toyota but they did have problems with that manual transmission, it came from the celica. The short shifter you can tell if it has one, nice! I have a project civic that I've been working on and put a short shifter into that, you can really tell the difference! well worth it!

    if you really want some better steering feel/handling, upgrade the rear sway bar with TRD's part! It really makes a difference.. Look under the rear if you see a red sway bar, it's already upgraded!

    powder coating the wheels would be the best option! some used plastidip and that does peel off over time.

    about the dash lights, if you're good with a soldering iron and working with surface mount components on a circuit board you can change the LED lights.. Because that's how they're mounted.

    again, glad to hear you're enjoying your tC!
    TRD? What's that?
    y0himba wrote:
    TRD? What's that?


    sorry I didn't explain. TRD = Toyota Racing Development. Basically upgraded performance parts from a division of Toyota. They make a rear sway bar upgrade for the tC that is a thicker diameter and it really tightens up the car. If you look under your rear suspension and see a red sway bar, chances are it's a TRD sway bar. I upgraded my rear sway with the TRD and the handling is tighter, handling much more solid.
    Can parts still be purchased from TRD?
    yes there are some still available. I think it depends on the toyota dealer, if they still have some in the warehouse. I don't have the part number for the rear sway bar, but if you google you should get a part number that you can search with.

    ok I searched.. it's toyota part number PTR11-21051-10
    found it over at mcgeorge, but contact them to see if they have it, usually they say "discontinued" if it's gone.

    https://parts.mcgeorgetoy...ssembly-rear-ptr112105110
    I got it up on a lift today and guess what...red sway bar. Not sure if it's an aftermarket thing, but it was red.

    Also was floored by how clean of rust the vehicle is. I got curious and did a Carfax report. 6 OWNERS. 1 accident, minor damage to the rear.

    First owner did 11,000 miles between 2009 and 2012, the next two did 10,000, and the rest was split between the others.

    It sat at auction for a year, was picked up by the dealer I got it from in July. It's been maintenanced on time, every time except when it was at auction. I think it got repossessed maybe?

    Pretty sure I got decent deal. I love this car. Spent the day researching parts. I juse need to find the interior stuff.
    y0himba wrote:
    I got it up on a lift today and guess what...red sway bar. Not sure if it's an aftermarket thing, but it was red.

    Also was floored by how clean of rust the vehicle is. I got curious and did a Carfax report. 6 OWNERS. 1 accident, minor damage to the rear.

    First owner did 11,000 miles between 2009 and 2012, the next two did 10,000, and the rest was split between the others.

    It sat at auction for a year, was picked up by the dealer I got it from in July. It's been maintenanced on time, every time except when it was at auction. I think it got repossessed maybe?

    Pretty sure I got decent deal. I love this car. Spent the day researching parts. I juse need to find the interior stuff.


    ya the TRD (Toyota Racing Development) bar is red, and in the middle I think it has a name plate on it. But sounds like you already have that bar! Cool! Makes sense because you were talking about how well it handled! That bar really changes how the tC (stock) feels.

    Interesting the history of the car, lots of owners but not a lot of miles. Nice to know it sounds like it was taken good care of all this time! That's rare with the tC, lots of people hack the wiring or do other dumb things. I'm glad you got a good one! But repo'd could be or no one wanted it at auction. Wonder if the auction area isn't one where people would want the tC. around here it would be trucks and suv's that sell quick.

    A lot of dealers are buying cars at auction right now because the new car factories are having trouble making vehicles (chip shortage). But hey it was destiny!

    I don't think I mentioned it but toyota has their own parts website, so much better diagrams than what mcgeorge has, but mcgeorge usually has the best price. Oh and you could go to your local dealer and see if they'll match online parts prices. Most of the ones I've asked will give a deal. Saves on shipping. My one dealer got me within $10 of the online price (with shipping). anyway here's the toyota parts website so you can look up parts

    https://parts.toyota.com/
    The region I live in, NW PA, is one of those anti-foreign regions. It's Harley, For, Dodge and Chevy here. So it's not unusual that a Toyota made car would get left. Everyone here drives huge trucks and Harleys. I had to travel 2 and a half hours to look at and buy it.

    Yeah, I live out in the woods.

    The wiring for the fog lamps has been messed with I think. They don't work, but there is a big LED bar in the middle where the lower grill would go. The switch for the lamps lights up but does nothing when engaged. There is a DIY toggle switch in where the stereo is housed.

    I found the fog lights I want, I am hoping they can be wired back in and they'll work. I'm not to interested in the LED bar.

    I wonder if purple fog lamps are legal...
    y0himba wrote:
    The region I live in, NW PA, is one of those anti-foreign regions. It's Harley, For, Dodge and Chevy here. So it's not unusual that a Toyota made car would get left. Everyone here drives huge trucks and Harleys. I had to travel 2 and a half hours to look at and buy it.

    Yeah, I live out in the woods.

    The wiring for the fog lamps has been messed with I think. They don't work, but there is a big LED bar in the middle where the lower grill would go. The switch for the lamps lights up but does nothing when engaged. There is a DIY toggle switch in where the stereo is housed.

    I found the fog lights I want, I am hoping they can be wired back in and they'll work. I'm not to interested in the LED bar.

    I wonder if purple fog lamps are legal...


    yup that's what I thought, car was left behind because of the area.. and hey nothing wrong with living out in the woods, it's peaceful! but doesn't sound like your tC is THAT hacked up.. The stuff we've seen on the forums! It's a little "dead" around the forums since Scion as a brand was discontinued by Toyota I think it was '16. But parts are still available. I did talk to Toyota back then and they don't abandon their cars like other manufacturers. Heck, Ford gives up on the F150 parts in 5-6 years (after that model is replaced with a new one)! wow..

    I bet the power wires that belong to the fog lights are being used for that LED bar. Or.. If you take off the bumper cover you might find the correct fog light wiring wired up to the harness by the bumper support. From what I remember it was stuck in there. The Japanese like to pre-wire future upgrades, which I think is very cool.

    I can understand now how the radio/headunit area was "hacked". shouldn't be that bad of a job to remove all that. Thankfully that's ALL they hacked up!

    lol..(sarcasm here) ya purple lights MIGHT just be a bit against the DOT (dept of transport) standards.. Not that I'd complain!
  • 13 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
  • 1
Jump to Forum:
Related Threads
Threads
Replies
Views
Last Post
©2022 Club Scion tC - Social Network for Scion enthusiasts.