Guest Menu
Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

pros and cons about stretched tires?

• 39 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
    • Nov 02, 2011 7:17:23 pm
    I just learn something new... Stretched Tires.. I have to say it does look really good and hella sick but it doesnt look safe or durable. I like how it made rim lips pop out. If there is no negitives about it, my next tires will be stretched. lol... I prefer to hear from ppl who expeninced with stretched tires first. So, what's pros and cons about it?
    • Nov 02, 2011 7:37:39 pm
    First off my tc is not on stretche tires ha and you should look into signing up on stanceworks.com they KNOW EVERYTHING about stretch and poke stance! They can forsure answer all your questions just a suggestion, as for stretched tires I personally think they only look good on cars that are dropped pretty low I think they'd look weird on a stock height car. I've rode in many cars with stretched tires especially my friends 240 which is on stretched tires I've rode in the car many times it feels good idk about durability since his car is dropped the tires do wear out faster due to the camber. If you use the right tires the stretch should be good and reliable but your always going to get different opinions on different stretches depending on things from the cars height to the rims size and tire size... just my opinion on this topic... you can prob find more info if you searched through the forum
    • Nov 02, 2011 7:45:29 pm
    It doesnt look good on stock height? I tried bowse though forums but not much info about cons pros about it. thanks for website! it look like it can pop tires out easily when sharp turning at high speed or hit potholes.
    • Nov 02, 2011 8:02:06 pm
    Well idk I've never seen it done to a stock height car usually when someone stretches a tire its because their into stance mean negative camber decked car low offset rolled fenders stretched tires are a part of that look so in my opinion I wouldn't do it to a stock height car BUT its not my car do what you wanna do man just giving you my opinion on it... tires popping out on a sharp turn I've NEVER heard of that happening and that 240 is ran pretty aggresively sometimes. And yeah no prob that site will either convince you or push you away from doing it haha but it will help I know that much.
    • Nov 02, 2011 8:35:37 pm
    I did a quickie google about stretch tires. So far what i learn are, it's illegal to not meet tire's manfacture's recommend size. Most of time things are illegal cuz of safetly reasons. lol. Also, tires stores wont cover tires' warranty if it dont meet manfacture's recommeds. I look up what's size legally to max stretching tires on 8.5 width of wheels would be 215. Anyone has picture of 18x8.5 with 215 tires? Im curious how they look.
    • Nov 02, 2011 8:47:24 pm
    what? i dunno anything about it. lol
    • Nov 02, 2011 9:18:28 pm
    F**** the law hahaha jk…. uhhhh i have no idea what your talking about i doubt a cop will ever stop you to take a look at your rims size and then match it to your tire size? hahahahahaha… and of course your warranty will be voided but if your car is dropped the warranty is already voided so yea.
    • Nov 02, 2011 9:28:31 pm
    Im not worrying about cop. what im saying is if it's illegal then it means it is not safe tires. safe tires is my primary cuz my work is 65 miles away. i drive more thatn 120 miles per day.
    • Nov 02, 2011 9:31:15 pm
    plus my girl is at other 65 miles. i drive f*$k lot.
    • Nov 02, 2011 9:35:10 pm
    Super stretched tires can be dangerous. There are some racing applications for stretch tires however. A lot of Autoxers will stretch their tires so they have stiffer sidewalls thus improving their steering response. Downside is that a stretched tire has more change of de-beading itself from the rim and the extra stiffness means a harsher ride. Also stiffer sidewall means higher chance to bubble.
    • Nov 02, 2011 9:39:40 pm
    Stretched tires I personally Never liked...because it make the tire pretty much useless by having the side wall of the tire not doing its function as intended..Also you only have to hit that 1 bump and BAM your tire is Messed Up or popped off the rim of the wheel.

• Nov 02, 2011 9:43:28 pm
    Thanks yall! that's what im looking for.
    • Nov 02, 2011 9:49:02 pm
    Ultimica, that usually only happens when you have a super stretched tire like the guys who are doing the hellaflush thing. But if you're running 215/45/17 on a 17x8, that's a very small stretch but increases the sidewall stiffness to get you a little extra crispness going around a course.

Example:

Cyber Evo which is one of the fastest Time attack cars ever built. Stretching tires was necessary to get the proper sidewall stiffness to edge out those extra few seconds.

Where as something like this:

Has much less to do with performance and much more to do with looks.
    • Nov 02, 2011 10:11:55 pm
    that blue car is overkill. too much. my wheel is 18x8.5 and i look it up max stretch is 215 recommend. Im wondering how it look. proably not much tho.
    • Nov 02, 2011 10:20:40 pm
    Plus my wheel's face lip is bigger than rear. it was so funny to watch confused tireman trying installing tires on front face until he finally found out only way to put tires on is on back side. i think bigger front lip gonna make small stretch look stretch longer.
    • Nov 02, 2011 11:13:19 pm
    andino wrote:

Has much less to do with performance and much more to do with looks.

Yes, Less performance and looks like crap.
    • Nov 03, 2011 12:53:37 am
    • Edited 2 times, last by Fliphm00b on Nov 03, 2011 12:58:05am.
    ^yeah to you it looks like crap because its not your "thing" or your not into it.. but i'm into the stance and hellaflush or whatever you want to call it and i think it looks good. To the OP thats not overkill man.. 205/40/17 on a 17x10 +35 wheel is..
    • Nov 03, 2011 12:55:57 am
    freddyfingaz wrote:
    that blue car is overkill. too much. my wheel is 18x8.5 and i look it up max stretch is 215 recommend. Im wondering how it look. proably not much tho.

Whats the offset on the wheel though?
    • Nov 03, 2011 12:56:23 am
    freddyfingaz wrote:

im running 18x8.5 215/40/18

and its a very mild stretch. i actually want more stretch out of it on my next set of tires
    • Nov 03, 2011 1:54:24 am
    rsQuattro wrote:
    freddyfingaz wrote:

Whats the offset on the wheel though?

it has been 3 yrs ago, I don't remember. I think it's 35. My wheels has fairly deep dish on face with flat spokes. I would have to go storage to find measure paper. I'm not even remember if it's 8.5 or 8 but pretty sure 8.5
  • 39 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Jump to Forum: