Guest Menu
Forum Utilities
More Transmission / Drivetrain Threads
Viewing Thread

Head Gasket

• 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Apr 09, 2009 5:33:27 pm
    Well I have not been so easy on my tC ever since I got it two years ago I have drivin it kind of hard. I bought it used to years ago with 30k on it and now it has 83k on it and my head gasket is leaking oil so its at the dealership. Thank god I got the 100k mile power train warrenty or it would have cost me almost $700 to get it fixed. Just had to vint kinda sucks lol.
    • Apr 17, 2009 5:53:41 pm
    • Edited 2 times, last by 87hachigo on Apr 17, 2009 6:00:19pm.
    I don't think your head gasket is leaking oil, maybe you head cover gasket? But any way that sucks, did they fix it yet?
    Any way I don't know how a head gasket would leak oil.

Edit: I mean just leak oil, and nothing else.....
    • Apr 17, 2009 6:17:30 pm
    ^^^ A cracked head gasket can leak oil, coolant, or both. Sometime a car runs fine, sometimes it will misfire. Many things can happen when a head gasket goes....
    • Apr 17, 2009 7:31:20 pm
    should have replaced it with a cometic gasket instead of a stock one
    • Apr 17, 2009 8:04:49 pm
    Ya they replaced it under warrenty I bought the 100k power train when I got the car
    • Apr 17, 2009 8:32:55 pm
    tcleezy_09 wrote:
    ^^^ A cracked head gasket can leak oil, coolant, or both. Sometime a car runs fine, sometimes it will misfire. Many things can happen when a head gasket goes....

Oh, well I've never heard of it leaking only oil before, you learn something new everyday
    I've never seen the head and block on a 2AZ but on 4AG I can't see how it could happen (just oil that is) I guess it would be different for different engines. I've seen oil into compression leak, but that's it.

What would you have to do on a 2AZ to make it leak oil, over heat it?
    • Apr 17, 2009 8:35:12 pm
    Run the piss out of it lol
    • Apr 17, 2009 9:59:24 pm
    ^I'll keep that in mind LOL!
    • Apr 17, 2009 10:06:22 pm
    excessive overheating is also a common cause.
    • Apr 18, 2009 6:36:10 am
    Remember, the head gasket seals the coolant AND oil ports on the head. On automotive motors, if there's ANY warp in the head metal or the gasket from heat/cold (yes, cold can warp a motor's head due to the properties of metal contracting when cooled) you will possibly leak oil or coolant.

An easy way to see if your head gasket is leaking (not EVERY time, but frequently) is to check your oil dipstick. If you have foam or bubbles at the end of the stick, then coolant is mixing with the oil. Or, you check your coolant and see/feel oil mixed into it, then your head gasket is leaking. That's the one place those 2 liquids meet for the longest period of time in a block.

Improper cooling (clogged passages or failed/failing water pump), low oil, blow by at the piston ring seals....those all could lead to a damaged head gasket.
Tags: gasket head
  • 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: