Forum Utilities
More Suspension & Brakes Threads
Viewing Thread

Car shakes when at full stop

• 47 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:31:51 am
    My car is a 2005 and has 23,500 miles. I've recently replaced the front brakes, had a wheel alignment and tire balance.

I got an axle back exhaust installed 3 weeks ago and ever since then I noticed that whenever I'm at a complete stop, on my brakes, in drive or reverse, my whole car shakes. I can definitely feel it in the steering wheel. When I put my car in park or neutral, it stops.

Any ideas what this could be?
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:34:35 am
    dam we must be the only 2 people with an 05 that have that lil bit of miles on our cars, i have like 200 less then you
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:34:37 am
    Mine does that - I think it's the transmission.
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:36:41 am
    Do your RPMs fluctuate when you notice this happening?
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:36:58 am
    the transmission? what could be wrong with the transmission?
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:38:17 am
    Orin wrote:
    Do your RPMs fluctuate when you notice this happening?

I didn't notice it fluctuating. Ill have to double check after work.
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:41:45 am
    There is a small chance of the axle-back causing this vibration if it's hitting the bumper or other part of the car.

Aftermarket exhaust does cause a little more vibration compared to the stock exhaust.

not really sure, but just a couple of things to look at.
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:42:03 am
    Nothing's wrong with it - but if you're at a stop in gear, there's still some throttle pushing you and the transmisison is spinning while the brake is holding you - it'll vibrate and with the crappy motor mounts in our cars, it'll shake the car a little bit more. It's no big deal. You may want to check the transmission fluid though - might need to do a flush.
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:45:26 am
    Orin wrote:
    There is a small chance of the axle-back causing this vibration if it's hitting the bumper or other part of the car.

Aftermarket exhaust does cause a little more vibration compared to the stock exhaust.

not really sure, but just a couple of things to look at.

ill check that out, but would the axle back cause the steering wheel to vibrate?

Someone was telling me it could be the rotors
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:47:01 am
    Its def not her transmission
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:47:28 am
    Nope - it's the engine and transmission. If it stops when you shift into neutral or park, it's the tranny. I'm pretty sure it's normal.
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:48:37 am
    Take4roll10 wrote:
    Someone was telling me it could be the rotors

it can be rotors when you are in motion, but from what you are saying, you notice this when holding the brakes at a stop.

It sounds like you are having a really super rough idle which could be the transmission as Nick said, but with your miles, it's not likely. It might be a fuel/timing related issue.

Wouldn't hurt to have a shop take a look.
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:49:29 am
    It is not the tranny because the tranny went on my tC and I would know what it feels like if it was the tranny and it is def not that.
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:50:09 am
    The axleback could cause vibration, but it would not cause the steering wheel to shake. Krdshrk may be right about the tranny mounts. It could also be your rotors, but if you just had brakes done, then they would have replaced the rotors if they were at the point where you could feel them.
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:51:17 am
    Why would it be the rotors? She's at a complete stop and there's no movement in them...

Blown tranny is another thing - remember I went through it, Amanda!
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:51:49 am
    FrAnkRYzzO wrote:
    The axleback could cause vibration, but it would not cause the steering wheel to shake. Krdshrk may be right about the tranny mounts. It could also be your rotors, but if you just had brakes done, then they would have replaced the rotors if they were at the point where you could feel them.

they didn't change the rotors
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:53:31 am
    krdshrk wrote:
    Why would it be the rotors? She's at a complete stop and there's no movement in them...

Blown tranny is another thing - remember I went through it, Amanda!

Yes I know I know but I drove it the other night and I know its not the tranny. I also had this problem in my Saturn and it was the rotors. Im sure its not so bad she just needs to bring it to a shop ASAP!!!!!
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:56:32 am
    If it's shaking when she's BRAKING then it's the rotors that need to be resurfaced. She's saying it's at FULL stop though. The wheels and rotors aren't moving so they can't cause any vibration if the car's STOPPED!

It's gotta be the transmission and transmission mounts.
    • Sep 05, 2008 7:57:03 am
    It's not the rotars. Think about it you only feel it when you're at a complete stop and the rotars would only make a difference if you felt it when moving too.
    • Sep 05, 2008 8:00:01 am
    ill get everything checked out just to be sure.

I can't imagine something being wrong with my transmission.
  • 47 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Jump to Forum: