Club Scion tC

Guest Menu
Forum Utilities
More Scion News and Discussion Threads
Viewing Thread

'Salvage' title necessarily a bad thing?

• 18 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Feb 15, 2009 8:42:16 pm
    First off, sorry to the Mods if this thread is in the wrong spot... Couldn't quite figure out where it would fit best. So I figured I'd just put it in the general tc discussion directory.

Basically, as a few of you know, I'm looking into buying mah tC within a couple months... (You probably also know I know nothing about cars)
    I've been just looking around on craigslist, ebay, auto-trader mags etc... And I notice some cars say "Salvage Title"... Then will say "Runs great!" or other related phrases used when selling cars. So, my question is... Is getting a Salvage title a bad thing? Is it ok sometimes? Because some of the prices for a salvage are pretty decent and if I want to get into exterior modifications and the such, I may consider buying one for less risk of destroying a brand new one lol...
    • Feb 15, 2009 8:55:53 pm
    1) Insurance will sky rocket if you purchase that car. Insurance companies will look and make sure there was no reports on that car. If there is, your insurance company will rape you on your price.

2) A Salvage title is a title with a notation that the vehicle has been damaged in excess of approximately 70% of its pre-accident market value. Just know that if you go and try to sell it, your probably not gonna make much
    • Feb 15, 2009 8:56:00 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by Subtilr on Feb 15, 2009 8:56:31pm.
    I ran into the same problem that your going through right now, and my 2cents is, don't waste your time. Prior to buying my tC, i was looking at a 2006 Acura RSX Type-S. It was salvage title but when I test drove it, it drove fine. The seller owns a auto-body collision shop and was trying to sell it. I thought it was fine after test driving it, but before we bought it, I took it down to my friends auto-shop to check out the work he did. We took off the front bumper and all I can say next is.. WTF!!! The welds were not done right, the frame was cut off and a new front end was welded on, the headlights were wobly, lots of problems. The car may look good on the outside, but the interior is a whole nother story. For your peace of mind, I would buy a clean title car, salvage title cars are a messy situation (not all the time if you know exactly what your getting and can trust the seller). Hope this helps. And salvage title could refer to the car being in a car accident, grand theft auto, ect ect.. its considered salvage I think when the cost of repair exceeds 50% of the vehicle (fix me if this is wrong).
    • Feb 15, 2009 8:56:26 pm
    its bad if you ever want to sell it again cuz the value is a lot lower than a car that doesn't have a salvage title and ive had my share of owning salvaged cars..so if you dont plan on selling it later on i don't see why not.
    • Feb 15, 2009 9:12:56 pm
    LjStC wrote:
    1) Insurance will sky rocket if you purchase that car. Insurance companies will look and make sure there was no reports on that car. If there is, your insurance company will rape you on your price.

2) A Salvage title is a title with a notation that the vehicle has been damaged in excess of approximately 70% of its pre-accident market value. Just know that if you go and try to sell it, your probably not gonna make much

I had a salvage titled zx3 focus for my first car because the parents didn't want to be f***ed if I wrecked it. and because it was salvage title and you can't get full coverage on a salvage title vehicle my insurance was only $50 a month so I have no idea why you think it would sky rocket?
    • Feb 15, 2009 9:31:33 pm
    yeah i was looking into these salvaged titles before i bought my tc.
    these salvaged tc's all came from local dealerships.
    and i carfaxed them and they are were wrecked but fixed and once its wrecked its not the same again.
    id rather get a scion with high miles than a salvaged scion.
    • Feb 15, 2009 9:35:06 pm
    a bad thing?? a salvaged title not only is bad..

but pretty much the WORST thing that you can have on a title.
    • Feb 15, 2009 9:39:18 pm
    yeah they are kind of bad, mine made all kinds of crazy noises and had a ton of problems. Plus when you have a car that's such a piece (sorry) you won't really feel like putting any money into it. Atleast I didn't, the reason why I got the scion.
    • Feb 15, 2009 10:16:21 pm
    let's just say.. i'd rather take public transit or a bicycle to work than own/drive a car that was salvaged..

'cause public transit or the bicycle would be more reliable... and less humiliating... and would retain its value more.
    • Feb 15, 2009 10:26:30 pm
    Goes to show how much a lot of you know about salvage cars... Which is practically nothing.

No your rates don't sky rocket
    You CAN get full coverage insurance
    Your value does drop a lot because it is salvaged
    Salvage title doesn't necessarily mean it's been damaged 70% of more
    It is not necessarily the worst thing you could be driving
    It all depends if you know about cars

I worked on a lot of salvage title vehicles and owned a few of my own, including the one I currently have.
    If you don't know much about cars, stay away. But if you look for the right things you get a better deal than anyone that sticks strictly to the DEALER only option.

Salvage does not mean it has 70% or more damage. It could mean a number of things and if y'all knew anything about salvage cars or the auctions you buy them from you'd know that some have very light damage, lighter than what some people drive around with.

I've repaired salvage cars, registered them, and gotten FULL coverage insurance, like the one I have right now. And I can say, that the money I spent getting it from the auction, repairing it and registering it is a better deal than any of you here have gotten, and my car is JUST as RELIABLE as any of your cars here, maybe more than some because I know more about cars than most.

Any other questions or comments made by people that have no idea what of really means to have a salvage vehicle please do comment and I'll be happy to answer any questions.
    • Feb 15, 2009 10:37:29 pm
    Ah, I was waiting for Allen to post up on this thread. He's gone through more Salvaged tCs than anyone else I can think of.
    • Feb 15, 2009 10:41:09 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by rrimportracer on Feb 15, 2009 10:43:40pm.
    Haha... Got that right.. I could post some pics on here that would probably scare the people that won't even look at a salvage tc... I think its safe to say that I've had more tcs than anyone has.. And worked on more than any individual on here or any forum foe that matter.

I posted all this off my iPhone so I can't really post pics and explain more about salvage titles but hopefully tomorrow I can shed some more light and explain a little more what exactly a salvage title can look like and why a vehicle can be deemed salvage
    • Feb 16, 2009 12:01:03 am
    I wasn't trying to say I know everything about salvage title cars I was speaking from personal experience. I'm sure in California you can get full coverage but here in southwest Ohio no one would fully cover my car nor did I have the skills or money to repare all the things wrong with that car. So I'm sorry for stepping on your toes but like I said it was my experience with it.
    • Feb 16, 2009 12:04:07 am
    Oh and my parents sold that car to my boyfriend who actually has time and money to put into the car and now it looks and runs better than most of the other cars around here.
    • Feb 16, 2009 12:10:26 am
    I wasn't bashing anyone.

Just stated what I know from working with dozens if not hundreds of salvage title vehicles.

Like I said, it's all about knowing what to look for.
    • Feb 16, 2009 12:16:53 am
    It's ok I just don't really know much about cars and college drains my funds so I needed a quick fix but if you have the knowledge and money go for it.
    • Feb 16, 2009 12:27:18 am
    Wow, didn't think there would be this many replies!

Thank you everyone for your input.
    Maybe it's just better if I buy one new... ;)
    • Feb 16, 2009 12:39:07 am
    If you don't know much about cars. Ya. That would be your best bet!
  • 18 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: