Guest Menu
Forum Utilities
More Scion News and Discussion Threads
Viewing Thread

power steering fluid(SUGGESTIONS?!)

• 7 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Jan 13, 2009 12:04:58 pm
    i went to auto zone and didn't know which 1 to buy. can any tell me what are you using? a pic of it would be cool
    • Jan 13, 2009 12:14:20 pm
    I believe the tC uses Dexron III ATF fluid. I've read that you can switch to Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF fluid but I don't of anyone who has done it and reviewed the process. Also, this information should be in your manual.
    • Jan 13, 2009 12:38:42 pm
    Edit: post deleted
    • Jan 13, 2009 12:46:58 pm
    i just bought the car used, and it doesn't include any manual....
    on the power steering fluid cap, it said 'dexron type atf'. have no idea what that is??? couldn't find it in auto zone. do i have to order it or can find it in major auto parts retailer?
    • Jan 13, 2009 12:57:59 pm
    DC08tC wrote:
    Ryzzo he's not talking about tranny fluid he's talking about steering fluid

To the O.P. LOOK IN THE MANUAL THATS IN THE GLOVEBOX

Dexron III ATF is what is in our cars from the factory. I know its Automatic Transmission Fluid, but its what tC's use.

To the OP: Dexron III is a standard that the fluid must meet not a brand name. Its like using DOT 4 brake fluid. Any brand shopuld be fine provided it is Dexron III compliant. It will say that on the label.

Wiki wrote:
    DEXRON is a specification of petroleum oil used in hydraulics, power steering and as automatic transmission fluid (ATF) for automatic and powershift Hydra-Matic transmissions in automobiles. It was developed by General Motors, which licenses the brand to vendors of ATF provided their product meets the specification. In North America DEXRON products are commonly sold at service stations and auto parts stores in quart and gallon sizes.
    • Jan 13, 2009 1:27:17 pm
    I forgot to ask the obvious question...

What do you need it for? If you plan on flushing it yourself all I can say is good luck. Its a bit of a PITA. If you need to add some because it is low, then you have a greater problem on your hands and should get it checked out for leaks.
    • Jan 13, 2009 1:59:47 pm
    I guess some people never heard of different types of fluid being used for P/S fluid before huh? Some cars use ATF, some use gear oil, and some even use good ol' motor oil.....ours uses ATF as it's P/S fluid.
  • 7 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: