Guest Menu
Forum Utilities
More Scion News and Discussion Threads
Viewing Thread

Got License Plate Issues?

• 19 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Aug 02, 2004 7:32:47 am
    Hey all.I live in Maryland, where we-re required to have front and backlicense plates. I got the rear one installed with no problem usingfine-thread nylon (non-rusting!) ones, but the front plate is anotherissue altogether.I tried opening the little front bumper indentations where I assumethe license plates attachment screws go, but I realized I don-t knowwhat type of screw goes in there, much less how to open those two holes safely. Are the screws supposed to be fine-thread ones like the back? Self-tapping ones? Any service people out there who can help me out on this?I don-t really want to do anymore until I find out exactly what Ineed to do.Thanks! - GerryHagerstown, MD, USA -- Lovin- my tC!
    • Aug 02, 2004 8:05:44 am
    I can-t help you with that, but that sounds like something that the dealer should do for you as a courtesy.
    • Aug 02, 2004 8:29:46 am
    I agree -- and I-m sure they would, but they-re 45 minutes away and they-re only open past 5pm one evening per week -- and no Saturday service hours. I-m in a brand new job and I-d rather not take time off for minor things like this.Thanks!- Gerry
    • Aug 03, 2004 10:07:30 am
    Hmmm...I-m getting conflicting info about installing the front license plates. Can I get a Scion/Toyota service person to answer this one?Some say self-tapping screws and some say the front uses the same as the back plate - fine-thread screws.Either way, I need to drill out the front holes. What size bit should I use?Help! - Gerry
    • Jan 09, 2005 1:52:38 am
    I was about to start a new thread on this... good thing i searched first! I just got my new personlized plates but I haven-t gotten any mounts on the front... am I missing something?
    • Jan 09, 2005 8:46:17 am
    -mystro1v- wrote:
    I was about to start a new thread on this... good thing i searched first! I just got my new personlized plates but I haven-t gotten any mounts on the front... am I missing something?
    I found out the license plate mounting threads on my tC are considered -fine- - versus the coarse ones used in US vehicles.I-ve gotten the nylon type -- no rust.
    • Jan 09, 2005 1:05:20 pm
    If front license plate is required in your state. Go back to your dealer and make them put it on for you. If you put your license plate behind the front windshield, will that get you a ticket ??? if not do that.
    • Jan 11, 2005 1:29:56 am
    Yeah front License plate is required in my state but I have no mounts at all on the front of the car for the plates... I-ll end up taking it back to the dealer but I was wondering... is there drilling involved? I figure I-ll go back this weekend when I-m having my passenger side visor replaced. (Found the mirror cracked on it the day after getting the car.) What kinda luck is that? At least I didn-t break it myself! Hopefully not a sign of bad luck.
    • Jan 11, 2005 1:49:58 am
    you guys should check out ebay, they sell little brackets that attach to the scion-s lower grill, that way you can give it that custom offset look if thats you thing, plus there is no drilling necesseryLink: Scion XB, XA, TC, BB Front License Plate Bracket
    • Jan 11, 2005 5:36:11 am
    Ha! Sweet!!! Thanks Tech, that-s exactly what I was thinking of. Glad to know that they didn-t drill holes in my front bumper and to know that I won-t have to either.
    • Jan 11, 2005 7:56:21 am
    Another question...I took off my front license plate and put it in the dash. Now I-ve got the two holes we all know so well What can I fill these with I heard some people mention that there are little plugs or screws w/ caps or something that can be bought Anyone have any information about where to buy these or how to make them Thanks
    • Jan 11, 2005 8:31:38 am
    get some epoxy and then use some touch up paint
    • Jan 11, 2005 8:40:02 am
    Ii remember seeing a picture of a tC that had what looked similar to white windshield washer nozzle things inserted into the holes (i say similar as they were raised up like the nozzles on the hood, but symmetrical).I-d really like to do this just in case I catch some flack from the police (which I dont anticipate) then I could just attach the plate to the bumper again.Does anyone know what i-m talking about and whether they were custom made or where to buy them
    • Jan 18, 2005 8:49:38 am
    HAVOC...How did you manage to get the car off the lot with out having them drill holes into your front bumper!? I had requested they not drill holes into mines, but the mother fuckers did anyways... Does anyone here no of anyways to cover those damn holes up?! or am I burdened with this forever?!-melly
    • Jan 18, 2005 9:22:26 am
    they didnt drill holes in mine either, i told them to put the plate in the front window and they did.
    • Jan 18, 2005 5:51:14 pm
    got the car through someone at toyota. i didnt even have plates for 3 months.
    • Jan 10, 2010 12:02:55 pm
    The reason you should not have your LP on the dash is because in the case of an accident it could decapitate you. If it doesn't and just hurts you..... Being that it is illegal the insurance company will not help you. Take it from someone who knows the laws well.
    • Jan 10, 2010 12:13:00 pm
    ^ you do know that the post before yours is 5 years old right?

IBTL!

mods...lock this! hahaha
    • Jan 10, 2010 1:11:59 pm
    I figured folks should know, via sticky.
  • 19 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: