Guest Menu
Forum Utilities
More Scion News and Discussion Threads
Viewing Thread

CODES P0441 AND P0455

• 12 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Jun 12, 2008 3:04:09 pm
    WHAT DO THIS CODE MEAN? SO I DID TAKE THE CAR TO AN AUTOZONE I GOT THE CODES READ AND THEY WERE P0441 P0455 WHAT DO THEY MEAN? AND YOU THINK THIS IS AN EASY FIX?
    • Jun 12, 2008 3:11:25 pm
    ill make a call and let you know what it is in about 30 mins or less
    • Jun 12, 2008 3:46:07 pm
    ok... so heres what the codes mean.......

P0441-the PCM has determined that the purge flow in the evaporative emission contol system is incorrect for the current engine conditions.

Definition....
    EVAP small leak/no flow condition

Explanation....
    The evaporative emission system is monitored

Probable causes....
    1. Defective or loose fuel cap
    2. EVAP canister or hose cracked-not connected
    3. Purge or vent solenoid defective
    4. vacuum leak at engine

P0455- The PCM has determined that a large leak exists in the evaporative emission control system

Probable causes....
    1.defective, loose or missing fuel cap
    2. Evap canister broke, hose cracked or not connected
    3. purge or vent soloid defective
    4. vacuum leak at engine

So.... after all the B.S. both codes are related and i would bet you a million dollars the reason for the codes to pop up is the the gas cap was eather off or not tight for a lenght of time. So... its an easy fix, just take it to autozone and use there OBDII tester (they will let you use it free if you do it in the parking lot) and reset the codes, and make sure the gas cap is tight from now on or these codes can come back.
    • Jun 12, 2008 4:02:01 pm
    WELL I HAVE ONLY PUMPED GAS LIKE 5 TIME SINCE I BOUGHT THE CAR. THE LAST TIME I PUMPED GAS WAS ON SUNDAY LIKE AROUND 3PM FILLED UP THE TANK I CLOSE THE GAS CAP AND DROVE FROM RIVERSIDE TO VICTORVILL WHICH IS ABOUT A 45 MIN DRIVE THEN CAME BACK LIKE AT 12AM NEXT MORNING I WOKE TO GO TO WORK EVERYTHING WAS FIND THEN I WENT OVER MY PARENTS OVER NOGHT THAT MONDAY AND PARKED THE CAR INSIDE AND WHEN I WOKE UP THAT DAY TO GO TO WORK I TURNED ON THE CAR THE ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON. SO I DON'T IF ITS THE GAS CAP
    • Jun 12, 2008 4:08:20 pm
    if its anything else i would be REALLY suprised cause your cars so new, and it can a while for the computer to run its cycle and that code to pop up. if your cars not at the dealer right know, take it to autozone and reset the codes, it wont hurt anything if you do, and if your sure how to do it ask one of the managers (in grey shirts) how to do it, and then see if comes on again. and with the weather as hot as it is lately even if the cap was not tight to the point that it clicked, it could set off the check engine light.
    • Jun 13, 2008 4:16:53 am
    ^They have a new policy of not resetting codes due to legal issues that occurred about 4 years ago with a customer that had it done. Someone cleared the codes and there was an actual problem that they didn't understand, which caused damage to the customer's car.

But the gas cap is the best bet in this situation. You can disconnect the negative battery cable for 2 minutes and reconnect it as well, and this will reset the CEL and ECM readiness codes. Make sure the gas cap is pressed on and twisted tightly, then reset the CEL and ECM.
    • Jun 13, 2008 12:34:28 pm
    web i work at autozone on the weekends and yes its true they are not suppposed to do it but if you ask they will, i do it all the time
    • Jun 13, 2008 1:31:25 pm
    xcessivenoize wrote:
    ok... so heres what the codes mean.......

P0441-the PCM has determined that the purge flow in the evaporative emission contol system is incorrect for the current engine conditions.

Definition....
    EVAP small leak/no flow condition

Explanation....
    The evaporative emission system is monitored

Probable causes....
    1. Defective or loose fuel cap
    2. EVAP canister or hose cracked-not connected
    3. Purge or vent solenoid defective
    4. vacuum leak at engine

P0455- The PCM has determined that a large leak exists in the evaporative emission control system

Probable causes....
    1.defective, loose or missing fuel cap
    2. Evap canister broke, hose cracked or not connected
    3. purge or vent soloid defective
    4. vacuum leak at engine

So.... after all the B.S. both codes are related and i would bet you a million dollars the reason for the codes to pop up is the the gas cap was eather off or not tight for a lenght of time. So... its an easy fix, just take it to autozone and use there OBDII tester (they will let you use it free if you do it in the parking lot) and reset the codes, and make sure the gas cap is tight from now on or these codes can come back.

MAN ur good....
    • Jun 13, 2008 2:31:22 pm
    xcessivenoize wrote:
    web i work at autozone on the weekends and yes its true they are not suppposed to do it but if you ask they will, i do it all the time

I work there too as a driver for now. If you get mystery shopped and you do that, you're fired immediately. Just keep an eye out.
    • Jun 13, 2008 2:44:02 pm
    i know thanks for the heads up and i dont physicaly do it i walk out to the car and show them how to do it
  • 12 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: