Forum Utilities
More Scion News and Discussion Threads
Viewing Thread

Burning Smell Coming from Car

• 54 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
    • Jan 16, 2008 6:58:07 am
    Ok so this past weekend i was having alittle fun and i was racing my car, well needless to say its had a burning smell since, and idk what it could be. Please if u know anything it would greatly help. I think it might be my clutch.
    • Jan 16, 2008 7:01:22 am
    RUN!!!!

No I'm just kidding... LOL!
    But check for maybe a bag or something on your Exhaust pipe. also, just check and make sure it's not hitting anything plastic.
    • Jan 16, 2008 7:04:11 am
    sicktc06 wrote:
    RUN!!!!

No I'm just kidding... LOL!
    But check for maybe a bag or something on your Exhaust pipe. also, just check and make sure it's not hitting anything plastic.

LoLz ur scared me! Well i have this feeling its either my transmission or my clutch b/c its horrible!
    • Jan 16, 2008 7:16:27 am
    Open your hood and make sure no hoses or wires are touching a hot surface like the header cover.

Take a look under your car as mentioned above for any type of foreign object that might be touching a hot surface.
    • Jan 16, 2008 7:18:35 am
    Orin wrote:
    Open your hood and make sure no hoses or wires are touching a hot surface like the header cover.

Take a look under your car as mentioned above for any type of foreign object that might be touching a hot surface.

ok thank you ill check it. and if its not what should i do next?
    • Jan 16, 2008 7:32:44 am
    NoPiChIc wrote:

continue to check for burning smell as you drive. hopefully the burning smell isn't oil.

while the car is parked, have someone rev the gas pedal and check for any excess of smoke or foul burning smell coming from the exhaust.

if the smell is coming out of your tailpipe, bring the car in for service right away
    • Jan 16, 2008 7:38:53 am
    Orin wrote:
    NoPiChIc wrote:

continue to check for burning smell as you drive. hopefully the burning smell isn't oil.

while the car is parked, have someone rev the gas pedal and check for any excess of smoke or foul burning smell coming from the exhaust.

if the smell is coming out of your tailpipe, bring the car in for service right away

k thankz, i dont think its oil b/c its still got awhile b4 changing it, but ill deff. have someone check it ASAP.
    • Jan 17, 2008 1:00:24 am
    if it was your clutch burning then it would be slipping while you drive it. it is easy to notice because when you push on the gas the car will rev and the car will not go anywhere. or atleast not speed up as it use to.

get a couple of people to help you try to pinpoint if the area of the car that is producing the smell.
    • Jan 17, 2008 4:56:29 am
    greddytc05 wrote:
    if it was your clutch burning then it would be slipping while you drive it. it is easy to notice because when you push on the gas the car will rev and the car will not go anywhere. or atleast not speed up as it use to.

get a couple of people to help you try to pinpoint if the area of the car that is producing the smell.

k, we deff. know its coming from the engine bay just we dont know where, b/c the smell is only coming from the front end.
    • Jan 17, 2008 6:43:48 am
    the burning smell coming from the engine bay isn't good either.

check over and see if any oil is leaking from the head gasket or crank pulley.

Does it smell like burning oil?
    • Jan 17, 2008 6:48:40 am
    Orin wrote:
    the burning smell coming from the engine bay isn't good either.

check over and see if any oil is leaking from the head gasket or crank pulley.

Does it smell like burning oil?

idk alot of my friends thought it was my clutch burning, but im taking it saturday and having it checked b/c im worried, it isnt smelling now but it deff. needs to be checked.
    • Jan 17, 2008 11:22:32 am
    yeah if you can get it into the shop that is the best bet since your not 100% sure yourself. just let us all know how it goes. just wondering though do you have any kind of aftermarket wireing work done up front? like something with headlights or sterio, maybe fog lights. something like that. cause if you do then that might be what is causing the smell also. water or something might have gotten to it and caused it to burn up.
    • Jan 17, 2008 11:27:09 am
    If it smells like rotten eggs then it's your clutch burning :o
    • Jan 18, 2008 4:41:54 am
    Ok guys get this. I took it in yesterday b/c here i was riding down the road and i lightly tapped the brakes and they locked up! Then i started smelling gas, so i took it straight there to the dealship(this was all during my break at work ) Well i told them what happened and that there was also a burning smell coming from under the hood. Well i sit there for about an hour, then they come back tell me the checked my gas tank area, brakes, and under the hood and found NOTHING!!!!! But they said they could smell the clutch burning some. And they did NOTHING!!! Same assholes who keep telling me nothing is wrong with my reverse gear! But it keeps getting worse! Have the time i cant get it to go into reverse unless i ease up off the clutch! Im pissed!!! Someone tell what i should do!
    • Jan 18, 2008 5:00:51 am
    Try going to a different dealership. Your not required to go to the one that you purchased the car from for warranty work.
    • Jan 18, 2008 5:10:53 am
    FrAnkRYzzO wrote:
    Try going to a different dealership. Your not required to go to the one that you purchased the car from for warranty work.

thats what i thought! But my mom tells me that they dont warranty clutches! Is this true?
    • Jan 18, 2008 5:16:36 am
    The clutch will not be under warrantee. That shouldn't have anything to do with the brakes or the gas smell though. It also may not have anything to do with the reverse problem. The worst that could happen is they tell you they won't cover it. It never hurts to ask. If nothing else, they may be able to give you an accurate idea of what the problem is even if they won't fix it for free.
    • Jan 18, 2008 5:31:00 am
    FrAnkRYzzO wrote:
    The clutch will not be under warrantee. That shouldn't have anything to do with the brakes or the gas smell though. It also may not have anything to do with the reverse problem. The worst that could happen is they tell you they won't cover it. It never hurts to ask. If nothing else, they may be able to give you an accurate idea of what the problem is even if they won't fix it for free.

that would be great. i have a feeling that my brakes prolly locked up b/c of the icey(however u spell it) roads we had yesterday but i have no idea why i smelled gas. I really need to have my reverse fixed and i guess ima be looking for a new clutch! Got any ideas on which are the best kind and prices?¿
    • Jan 18, 2008 5:49:44 am
    You could always get a stock cluth from mcgeorge or the upgraded one from trdsparks. I'm looking into getting a stage 2, but they run around 400 plus install. Be prepared, the install is not an easy DIY, and the labor isn't going to be cheap.
    • Jan 18, 2008 6:14:44 am
    FrAnkRYzzO wrote:
    You could always get a stock cluth from mcgeorge or the upgraded one from trdsparks. I'm looking into getting a stage 2, but they run around 400 plus install. Be prepared, the install is not an easy DIY, and the labor isn't going to be cheap.

thats just great! I so cant afford this! LoLz...i guess ill have to tho....
  • 54 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Jump to Forum: