Forum Utilities
More Other Car News and Discussion Threads
Viewing Thread

Pontiac/Vauxhall VXR8

• 38 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
    • Nov 17, 2009 7:54:01 am
    • Edited 2 times, last by Vicious on Nov 17, 2009 8:57:29am.
    I'm not too sure if I was seeing things correctly, but I think I saw this on the road a few days ago:

And I remember watching a segment about it on Top Gear. Freakin sick sick car, I was wondering if it was brought over to the US as a Pontiac? Or was it probably just imported here from the UK?
    It's a VXR8 Bathurst for those who didn't know
    • Nov 17, 2009 8:55:05 am
    picture doesnt work
    • Nov 17, 2009 8:57:38 am
    Fixed.
    • Nov 17, 2009 9:12:33 am
    looks interesting, not sure though
    • Nov 17, 2009 9:17:45 am
    It all starts with Holden (Australia).

Check out the Holden Commodore SS-V!

Thats the Australian version of a EVO KILLER! Don't talk no smack either! They take Holden very serious down under (just like us American muscleheads haha)! Don't mistake them for Subie lovers either lol!

The Vauxhall VXR8 is the english counterpart to the Commodore.

We know it as the Pontiac G8 GXP!

Holden used to produce a two door model also, the Monaro also!

Hmmmm.....I wonder why it looks so familiar to me?!?

3RD GEN PONTIAC GTO!
    • Nov 17, 2009 9:21:44 am
    We know the G8 is going away with Pontiac (*sigh*) but Chevy will be producing a new Caprice.....and yup its going to be the same platform!

I have to give Holden much credit on their designs and performance. Don't tell them but Holden was started by GM by a bunch of Pontiac engineers!!!

Keep with the Pontiac tradition Holden....your my only hope!!!!!!!!
    • Nov 17, 2009 9:33:14 am
    Somehow I knew dsm would be all over this thread But yes, seeing this car in person does change my perception of domestic cars. However, I do feel that the GXP/VXR8 doesn't feel like an American car though..
    • Nov 17, 2009 9:46:32 am
    Vicious wrote:
    Somehow I knew dsm would be all over this thread But yes, seeing this car in person does change my perception of domestic cars. However, I do feel that the GXP/VXR8 doesn't feel like an American car though..

i agree with you too... this car, corvette zr1 and ford gt are the only american cars i like.. this g8 i think has enough juice to go side by side with an m5.. iono.. i read it on some review..
    • Nov 17, 2009 9:47:26 am
    I like his side-kick the VXR8-S it pushes right around 560 Hp
    I think the base model somewhere around 425...what baffels me is how they the S-Model has more 20 hp more than the supercharged G8 GT when they have the same engine... can someone elaborate? Did they just raise the psi or is there more in depth info?
    • Nov 17, 2009 9:55:05 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by dsm3383 on Nov 17, 2009 9:57:18am.
    Gimmysomeofdat22 wrote:
    I like his side-kick the VXR8-S it pushes right around 560 Hp
    I think the base model somewhere around 425...what baffels me is how they the S-Model has more 20 hp more than the supercharged G8 GT when they have the same engine... can someone elaborate? Did they just raise the psi or is there more in depth info?

No such thing as a 'supercharged G8 GT'. It is a RWD V8 and only pushes a little less of 400bhp for the standard model since of the whole cylinder drop for fuel efficiency....it only comes in an automatic. The G8 GXP is a 6-speed thus pushes around 426bhp. These are running off the LS engines and is the same platform as the new Camaro.

I know Holden has produced supercharged models for their versions but these have never seen the states due to competing with the 'vette which is not a domestic down under.

Now if you want a beast of an american car check out the coming Cadillac CTS-V Coupe! 568bhp Supercharged LSA wrapped in delicous exterior/interior! Me drool.........
    • Nov 17, 2009 9:55:48 am
    I think european / australia car company's have design down. American car company's and some others should study there's more.
    Imo, kuz I like european models more
    • Nov 17, 2009 9:58:52 am
    arjay031 wrote:
    this g8 i think has enough juice to go side by side with an m5.. iono.. i read it on some review..

BMW is a huge competitor of Holden in Australia. They build these cars to compete with them so yes they are capable...they were designed to be!
    • Nov 17, 2009 10:00:08 am
    xGhostx wrote:
    I think european / australia car company's have design down. American car company's and some others should study there's more.
    Imo, kuz I like european models more

Holden is also known by the acronym GMH. GENERAL MOTORS HOLDEN DIVISION.

It is an 'american owned' company.
    • Nov 17, 2009 10:07:44 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by raf on Nov 17, 2009 10:08:06am.
    I really hope Chevy comes out with something on that G8 platform. I would buy one and have the tC as the fuel efficient DD.

*edit* GXP version that is.
    • Nov 17, 2009 11:04:21 am
    dsm3383 wrote:
    Holden is also known by the acronym GMH. GENERAL MOTORS HOLDEN DIVISION.

It is an 'american owned' company.

Didn't know that, but I'm just saying the cars marketed towards europeans are styled way better then the ones we get in the us, even if its a us ownd company. See what I'm saying? Prob woulda helpd if I had said that first time around.
    • Nov 17, 2009 11:08:13 am
    I agree the styling we see in America is just not quite up to standards. Its been awhile that all OEMs have been going with conservative designs. Toyota is getting most of the heat now from that and don't blame those that do. The Camry, Corolla, etc... are so boring!!!
    • Nov 17, 2009 12:14:21 pm
    I don't know how i missed it earlier, but I'm with Dsm. I want an new CTS-V.
    • Nov 17, 2009 1:07:13 pm

PURE SEX!
  • 38 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Jump to Forum: