Guest Menu
Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

When should timing chain be replaced?

• 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Apr 08, 2010 1:29:51 pm
    Before I posted this, I looked to see if anyone had asked this and no luck. My question is when does the timing chain need to changed and at what mileage? I have 20,200 now and I know I am far from needing a new one. Has anyone replaced theirs yet?
    • Apr 08, 2010 1:31:01 pm
    They should last the life of the engine, but changing it at 100,000 miles seems reasonable.
    • Apr 08, 2010 1:32:37 pm
    The only time a new chain is needed is when the Chain tensioners start to fail and you get a "slapping" sound.
    • Apr 08, 2010 1:34:47 pm
    Toyota timing chains hardly ever wear out. Belts are another story
    • Apr 08, 2010 1:35:09 pm
    im at 115k no issues here
    • Apr 08, 2010 1:38:03 pm
    In theory Toyota and many newer vehicles use chains that are designed to last the life of the engine. You shouldn't need to worry about this.
    • Apr 08, 2010 1:39:56 pm
    I figured 100K sounded logical. Now does anyone know what brand timing chain we have and what brand to replace it w/? Is one brand better vs. another? Is this a dealer install/item only?
    • Apr 08, 2010 1:53:30 pm
    Thank you to those that responded.
    • Apr 08, 2010 2:35:27 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by Web on Apr 08, 2010 2:36:36pm.
    Replacing the chain for no reason other than thinking it's beneficial is going to be a waste of time and money. The way this chain is setup, the side of the block has to pretty much be torn apart....seems easier with the entire motor out of the car, but I'm sure it can be done while still in it. As was mentioned, chains will give a slapping sound if stretched.....no point in wasting money on it.

Also as mentioned, timing belts.....entirely different story.

I'm also at 119K miles and drive my car an average of 100 miles per day during the week. Keep the oil changed and topped off to help prevent premature chain fail due to low lubrication.
    • Apr 08, 2010 2:39:00 pm
    to those that still do not understand

when to replace timing chain: when the engine is f^7ked and you hear that slapping sound

otherwise: never
    • Apr 08, 2010 2:42:15 pm
    Orin wrote:

when to replace timing chain: when the engine is f^7ked and you hear that slapping sound

nice way to put it.
    • Apr 08, 2010 4:00:09 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by Mossberg500 on Apr 08, 2010 4:00:24pm.
    Orin wrote:

couldn't say it better myself my sentra had 300k miles on it's original timing chain
    • Apr 12, 2010 3:24:29 am
    • Edited 2 times, last by SCIONRIDERZ on Apr 12, 2010 3:27:24am.
    general rule on engines. Most mechanics will rebuild their motors when it hit 150,000+ miles because of the wear and tear on seals,valves, carbon build-up etc. now as everyone has mentioned replacement of a timing chain is not necessary unless you are rebuilding your motor due to high-milage. only then is it "RECOMMENDED" not needed that you change crucial things such as timing chains. reason being is that you are going to have your motor out of the car and putting fresh components in. just be glad we dont have timing belts you are at 20,000+ dont worry about it you have plenty of time
    • Dec 24, 2013 2:37:21 pm
    The sound I am hearing is when the engine is torqued. At first I thought it was a valve tap, but it is not there when idling, only when some gas is put on, but not too much, if the RPM's go too high, the noise goes away.
    • Apr 06, 2014 6:12:13 pm
    A timing chain does last as long as the engine. I had a Hyundai Tiburon with a belt timing chain, learned from a mechanic, the main concern with any engine. Is the engine an "interference engine". With an interference engine, the piston will hit the valves should a timing belt or chain fail. (Ruining the engine). I also heard he forum mention about engine pinging . . muscle cars engines have their timing advanced to get more horsepower. To know if you had too much timing . . you accelerated, going uphill. If it pinged, you have too much timing. A higher octane gas or reducing the timing, would decrease the pinging.
  • 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: