Guest Menu
Forum Utilities
Viewing Thread

leaking antifreeze??

• 27 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
    • Jan 19, 2011 8:52:55 pm
    i have a 2006 scion tc and about a month ago i noticed a sizzle noise and smoke coming from under the hood. I found out it was leaking anti-freeze and this leak is very very little, im talking a drip. I added anti-freeze and this lasted about 3 weeks before the car overheated. When the car overheats i pull over for literally a couple seconds before the car goes back to a normal temperature. It hasnt been leaking any oil either. can anyone give me any ideas of what this might be?
    • Jan 19, 2011 8:55:16 pm
    also forgot to mention i dont get heat when the cars not in motion.
    • Jan 19, 2011 9:56:35 pm
    It's hard to be real accurate about this. If I were to guess,I would say you have air trapped in the system. First... fix leak. Fill to proper levels and bleed air. Then recheck for overheating.
    • Jan 20, 2011 1:05:21 am
    Flush system and replace thermostat.......then report back. May be stuck open and not generating heat. If that doesn't work, then maybe heater core......but do the thermostat first because its cheaper.
    • Jan 20, 2011 9:43:33 pm
    I brought the car to get looked at and it looks like its stripped head bolts. Im not too good with cars im kind of going off what i heard the mechanic saying to my dad. does anyone know anything about this? or how much it would cost to get fixed? this mechanic said he wouldn't even do the job -_-
    • Jan 21, 2011 2:30:43 am
    Stripped head bolts? That means someone tried to remove the head in the past and over torqued the bolts when replacing it (or, they just over torqued them thinking there was a problem with them being loose). This won't be too cheap, especially if the bores in the head itself are what are stripped. You're looking at a head removal and rethread of the ports.
    • Jan 21, 2011 3:03:40 am
    First off how many miles do you have on your car, Second where is the leak at? is it on the pass side between the engine and pass inner fender, or engine and front bumper, around the radaitor, or between the engine and trans area?
    • Jan 21, 2011 1:05:14 pm
    The car has 112,000 miles on it and the leak pretty much right behind the engine.
    • Jan 21, 2011 1:32:56 pm
    if it is behind the motor where the engine and trans meet, check your header hose and your throttle body hose. if its lookings like its coming off the oil pan toward the front then your water pump is leaking.
    • Jan 21, 2011 3:02:43 pm
    check all hoses for anti-freeze corrosion; I've recently discovered one of my hoses had a small leak and was causing the fluid to be dropping low too soon.
    • Jan 22, 2011 5:58:38 am
    yup... find out exactly where the leak is coming from first. most likely a hose. if its between the head and block of the engine, its gonna cost you. fix the leak. then properly fill the system so that there is no air in it.

overheating can also be cause by a bad radiator cap. if it is then the overflow tank will fill up. a bad thermostat. if its that then one radiator hose will be hot and the other cold.
    • Jan 22, 2011 6:00:48 am
    ^The upper return hose is always going to be hotter than the lower inlet hose. If the upper hose is TOO hot, then you'll notice bulging at both ends, which will flare the ends on the radiator and block necks.
    • Jan 22, 2011 10:42:32 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by Gksciontc on Jan 22, 2011 10:48:18am.
    TooCool_07 wrote:
    overheating can also be cause by a bad radiator cap. if it is then the overflow tank will fill up.

Radiator cap does not cause overheating. Radiator cap is only to pressurized the systems to help heat up the coolant, by dropping the boiling rate

TooCool_07 wrote:
    a bad thermostat. if its that then one radiator hose will be hot and the other cold.

if you had a bad thermostat, two things happen. One your car will not heat up, until you stop and sit for a while. Second you'll overheat, and your coolant will be coming out of the over flow tank. Your top hose will always be hotter then your bottom hose. if you think your thermostat is stuck closed, feel the bottom hose and top hose. if your bottom is hot and your top hose is cool then your thermostat is stuck close. TooCool_07 just had it backward, that is what i think he was trying to say

If your head gasket was blown, then you will have white smoke coming from your exhaust. Your coolant runs along your cylinder walls, your oil returns are on the outer side of the coolant. so if you had coolant coming from your head and block, you would have bigger problems b/c the car would run very rough for the lack of compression. If that the case then you need to get a new motor b/c your head or deck would be too warped to fix it.

if you can take a some pictures of where the leak is coming from i can tell you want leaking...

• Jan 22, 2011 6:49:57 pm
    when the car was on a lift we saw two dry lines of dripping antifreeze between the engine and the firewall.. it was dripping on what I think is my cat. converter. does this help at all with anybodys conclusions? according to my dad, who knows a bit about cars, it's not my thermostat. thanks for everyones help by the way. I'll try to get pics as soon as possible
    • Jan 23, 2011 3:41:18 am
    If it's over where the CAT is in the rear of the motor near the firewall....and it's hoses....you may have a plugged up heater core. Check the lines for simple dry rot though, b/c a heater core should last quite a long time with proper cooling system maintenance.
    • Jan 24, 2011 4:34:03 am
    Web wrote:
    you may have a plugged up heater core. Check the lines for simple dry rot though, b/c a heater core should last quite a long time with proper cooling system maintenance.

Really!!! Plugged heater core!!!! If your heater was plugged up, you would not have heat, coolant just would not flow though there. It would not cause your car to over heat or start leaking!!! Leaks are cause if hoses are harden, loose clamps, hoses rubbing, and or soming cutting or poking holes in it. Come on man dry rotting?!?!

Just check your hoses going to the fire wall, to the throttle body, and your thermostat housen. It could be a cool leak so before you start you car up in the morning jack it up and check it out. Not leaking get it up to temp and check again.
    • Jan 24, 2011 8:22:55 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by Web on Jan 24, 2011 8:26:54am.
    haha, if you say so. It's ok though, it's only exactly what just happened to my parent's car. Heater core was almost cloggeg up ocmpletely, pressure built in the line entering the heater core from the heater control valve, the hose has never been change and it's a '99....and go figure, the hose was dry rotted at the connect to the heater control valve. But no, you're right....that's not what it is at all.

Things are a little different in cooler, dryer climates where cars are susceptible to more salt spray and dried rubber components.
    Good job
    • Jan 24, 2011 8:48:43 am
    OP: Any results come back from your mechanic? Anything further to add to your post? Sorry, I find it ironic that you have a coolant leak and your screenname is "ceepee".
    • Jan 24, 2011 9:17:14 pm
    haha its my initials but this is the update.. the mechanic put this stuff in my car to clog the leak temporarily (sorry i forgot the name for it). i know longer see a leak at all, but for some reason my car still overheated !!! turned out i was low on anti-freeze, so i added the anti-freeze and my car is no longer overheating but the heat still won't work when the cars idle -_- i have no idea what's going on its getting very frustrating. i definitely do not see the leak anymore so im going to take it back to the mechanic and have him check for what else could be going on. based on what you all are saying im thinking its maybe some kind of clog or bad hose somewhere else? ughh
    • Jan 25, 2011 1:06:30 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by Web on Jan 25, 2011 2:58:09am.
    Im banking on a partially stuck thermostat, but that is just me. If the leak has stopped, they may have used a block sealer since they said stripped head bolts. Not the greatest stuff to use but let's see what the tech says.
  • 27 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Jump to Forum: