Club Scion tC

Guest Menu
Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

Engine tapping noise(water pump dying???)

• 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Aug 02, 2012 1:46:59 am
    Hi friends. Im a new owner of a Scion tC 2008. I got this car like 2 weeks ago with 15k miles on it. I was wondering what is this weird tapping noise coming from the engine so i started looking in the forums and it looks like my water pump is going bad. Is this really my case or this is something else. please check the youtube video and tell me ur opinions. Thanks in advance people

• Aug 02, 2012 6:15:30 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by BrutalHoe on Aug 02, 2012 6:16:55am.
    What u hear is valve ticking, tC is know for loud valves n burning oil. If u notice the closer u get to the top of the engine the louder it gets.
    If it was ur water pump it would b on the left side of the engine where all the pulleys r n ud see some kind of water corrosion build up type of stuff usually pinkish cuz of pink coolant.

Ur engine sounds fine!! Just get used to it .
    • Aug 02, 2012 6:17:40 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by Azx on Aug 02, 2012 6:23:56am.
    By no means am I fully experienced with this: but to get started you can read through my previous post.

http://clubsciontc.com/fo...engine-noise-issue-48590/

(Bad waterpump video Before) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU0Mi3jYRcE
    (Bad waterpump fixed) http://www.youtube.com/wa...amp;feature=results_video

Apart from hearing the noise within the video; the next best way is to check for leaks and determine if it's starting to produce a pink calcium like deposit on the waterpump itself.

Edit:

After listening to your video again it just sounds like your valves. If your ever standing next to someone start a Toyota or scion then you'll realize that they all sound a like. Personally I find the noise rather annoying (I like quiet vehicles that don't rattle or make excess noise which the valve noise falls into that category).
    • Aug 02, 2012 6:22:04 am
    That's how ppl get confused.....cuz of noobs, chance its his pump at 15k miles is slim to non plus his engine sound just fine....
    • Aug 02, 2012 6:26:49 am
    BrutalHoe wrote:
    That's how ppl get confused.....cuz of noobs, chance its his pump at 15k miles is slim to non plus his engine sound just fine....

Slim to none may be a tad bit off. He asked if it was his waterpump. If he reads through what I posted then he should be able to tell that it's not the issue, and move on. (This will also prepare him in the future and is good to know information) Additionally I re-watched the video, and edited my comment.

Thanks for your insight non the less.
    • Aug 02, 2012 6:33:57 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by BrutalHoe on Aug 02, 2012 6:34:21am.
    Ummm.....I can't hear my car from inside when its running, use better oil?
    • Aug 02, 2012 6:55:36 am
    I use mobile1 full synthetic and I still hear it. What do you use?
    • Aug 02, 2012 8:32:22 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by dfrmtn on Aug 02, 2012 8:35:13am.
    damn thanks friends. i was so worried that i even didnt drive my car today lol. i need to check what oil im using cause i just got the car and im kinda noob in it lol thanks again. such a relieve

Btw i have one more question - Here in Bulgaria our lowest octane gas is 95 then 98 then 100. what should i put?
    • Aug 02, 2012 1:14:34 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by BrutalHoe on Aug 02, 2012 1:19:13pm.
    Royal purple does a great job n that's what I'm using. A lot of ppl use Mobil but personally don't like it cuz it made my engine idle rough, castrol gtx worked great, but I ran royal purple for about 3 changes n now I'm switching back n forth between castrol n royal purple.

I never paid attention just use regular lol.....that awesome u from BG I have a few Bulgarian friends n I'm originally from Belarus
    • Aug 02, 2012 2:12:25 pm
    Awesome thanks. I'll pick up some RP next trip to Advance for me oil change coming up.
    • Aug 02, 2012 4:13:57 pm
    lol cool where do u live? btw im using ELF SOLARIS DPF 5W-30 at the moment. The oil was changed a month ago. Maybe its the oil that makes the engine louder. I`ll try to find Royal Purple here in Bulgaria but i think it will be hard.
    • Aug 02, 2012 8:03:55 pm
    Sounds fine. I thought the same thing when I got my car and after a year and like 2 months It hasn't failed. :O
    • Aug 03, 2012 6:16:38 am
    dfrmtn wrote:
    lol cool where do u live? btw im using ELF SOLARIS DPF 5W-30 at the moment. The oil was changed a month ago. Maybe its the oil that makes the engine louder. I`ll try to find Royal Purple here in Bulgaria but i think it will be hard.

Order it online.
    • Aug 03, 2012 12:41:56 pm
    ok thanks for everything. feel much better when there is someone who can give you a hand, cause im almost the only owner of tC around here.
    • Jan 20, 2013 12:09:50 pm
    Hi,
    If you are still looking for Royal Purple, there is a company that imports it in Bulgaria - Regalis Trade. Check out their web site: www.regalistrade.com
    • Jan 20, 2013 12:20:02 pm
    Yea RP seems to make our valves much quieter from my experience,especially from initial start-up.My 08 sounds the same when I was using regular oil.So give RP a shot. Peace.
  • 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: