Forum Utilities
More Maintenance & Repair Threads
Viewing Thread

block leaking coolant......head gasket

• 35 posts
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
    • May 12, 2011 8:34:30 am
    Luckily, this is the first major thing for me. 153K highway miles and LOTS of turning on and off of the motor.....just 1 overheating and it kills it. Not a fan of aluminum on aluminum setups for this reason. Give me an iron block!
    • May 17, 2011 2:41:07 pm
    '07 tc motor, new water pump and 170 thermostat should be ready to go tomorrow. I can't wait to get it back and start 'fresh' with 53k miles vs 153k miles.
    • May 17, 2011 2:47:11 pm
    Yeah I love junk yard engines. I try to find the best fit with the least miles. I once installed a motor with under 13k miles into a vehicle that was like 4 years old with 60k on it. The owner ended up with a brand new car after that.

BTW while you are there replace all seals, hoses and other pain in the butt things to reach while the motor is out.
    • May 17, 2011 2:56:03 pm
    The shop is doing it, but the new motor was compression tested and all seals were like new. Hoses are fairly easy on this engine so when they go I can do them. I will most likely replace all small coolant hoses this summer along with both axle seals for good measure next time I change the trans fluid.
    • May 19, 2011 9:22:23 pm
    hey web i'm glad that you were able to fix the engine! that's really good news.. did i miss what happened? what was it that failed? the water pump? any warning or poof and it was gone?
    • May 20, 2011 7:11:36 am
    No failure of parts. The mechanic said that it seems as though the head bolts had loosened over time (which is a common issue reported in many forums and directly from toyota for the 2AZ-FE motor). They loosened and caused a gap at the head gasket causing the coolant passage to start to leak. When the block cooled, air was allowed to enter the system and once the system heated up, the air expanded in the system and caused the overheating. The water pump is also a known factory issue for the 2AZ-FE engine, but I had already replaced that about 50K miles earlier. He was amazed that all 10 head bolts were hand tight and when he pulled them out, 3 had aluminum threads all mangled within the bolt threds.

The "possible" fix would have been to re-tap the block and helicoil it, but that's not a 100% fix either. I didn't want to have to deal with this again, so I just had them find a used block and slap it in there. They pressure tested it and are "field testing" it as of yesterday and today, so hopefully I can pick it up today. I'm going to do a few oil changes in the next 2 months to make sure any "junk yard" contaminants are out of the block, but the tech said that it looked to be in REALLY good shape. So, fingers are crossed for the future.

My silver lining is now I have a 53K miles old vehicle.....not 153K mile
    • May 20, 2011 9:59:27 am
    Car is ready! Go figure it's on a day that I'm working 12 hours with a 1 hour drive home. $3800 sucks, but I get my car back with pretty much a new motor .
    • May 20, 2011 10:16:56 am
    Web wrote:
    Car is ready! Go figure it's on a day that I'm working 12 hours with a 1 hour drive home. $3800 sucks, but I get my car back with pretty much a new motor .

3800 bucks for a days work?!....web ill b more than happy to fill in for u while u go pick it up hahahaha...congrats on the new born my man
    • May 20, 2011 6:11:10 pm
    53k motor has a noticable pick up over the 153k with a leaking head......feels good and drives better than I remember. I am going to go over the repairs with a fine tooth comb tomorrow to make sure all is well.
    • May 26, 2011 3:50:55 am
    Web wrote:
    53k motor has a noticable pick up over the 153k with a leaking head......feels good and drives better than I remember. I am going to go over the repairs with a fine tooth comb tomorrow to make sure all is well.

good deal, web! glad that it worked out, even if it did "lighten your wallet" by about $3800! have to see what the fuel economy (mpg) is of the new engine compared to the last one that went bad.
    • May 26, 2011 7:08:08 am
    • Edited 1 times, last by Web on May 26, 2011 7:13:22am.
    I'm going to seafoam the motor this week because I noticed the cams had some dark film on them from old oil residue/debris. My original motor was shiny, new aluminum until it died....due to synthetic oil only and frequent oil changes. So, I want to make sure all oil ports are clear of sludge and the engine gets a fresh start.

Going to get a new oil pressure switch and coolant temp sensor b/c the ones they left in there were the ones that came with the old motor....rust and nasty looking. Can't hurt to have new sensors after a good flush.

***On a side note, my fiance's old '01 Cavalier 2.2L is producing a nice MPG output. Still have to calculate it after this tank, but thus far, 3/4 tank and already hit 165 miles. I told my fiance that it's all in how she drives it b/c she was only getting 340-350 miles to her tank. I'm on the mark to crest 400 easily and possibly up to 450.
    • Jun 12, 2011 1:18:00 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by sciontc_mich on Jun 12, 2011 1:18:44pm.
    well look what I found. Toyota does have a service bulletin out for the head bolts. So they have finally admitted there is a problem.

can anyone look this service bulletin up and find the details? This is all I could find for right now.. for those of us in the 05-07 model year range, what would be the symptoms that we'd need to fix it? Or would it go like yours did, Web? Just poof, and it's gone?

============================================
    SERVICE BULLETIN:S-SB-0004-11 NHTSA ITEM NUMBER:10037584

MFG Bulletin Date: 03/02/2011

Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Bulletin Summary: TOYOTA: THERE MAY BE DAMAGED CYLINDER HEAD BOLTS THREADS. THERE IS A PROCESS TO REPAIR THEM. 2005-2007 TC.

• Jun 18, 2011 4:18:28 am
    The problem is, my car was still running 100% when it was going through this. The ONLY way I noticed something was wrong was when I got the overheating spike OUT OF NO WHERE, and then I noticed the coolant drip from the back of the block. I'll look for "what to watch for" from Toyota, but if it's like my case, just know that if you overheat 1 time, you're done.
    • Jul 10, 2011 6:20:25 am
    Well, just for a random follow up:

I called and spoke to Toyota about the TSB, but since it was not replaced at their dealership, they won't cover anything. I figured as much, and made sure to tell the lady that the service writer came back in under an hour with an initial estimate of 2800$ for just the head gasket and mentioned NOTHING of any TSBs they know of (I used to be a service writer for BMW and that was one of the FIRST things I looked for when dealing with a customer's car). Also, since that was the initial look, a new engine would have run me over 8000$ installed. The rep even chuckled a bit and said, "Yeah, Toyota dealership prices are pretty expensive." I told her that Toyota will never see anymore of my money due to this pathetic lack of assistance for an obvious problem with their 2AZ-fe engine design. But, oh well.

Engine is running great, thus far. Not really sure how many miles I have exactly now, but whatever. I just change the oil and drive. When it dies, I'll most likely get another vehicle anyways. Jeep for the winter and something fun for the rest of the year.

Here's a shot of the car with the Eibach's on there as well:
    • Apr 15, 2014 7:32:31 am
    my 2005 head gasket wassleaking and I had my upper and lower hoses replaced 2 days ago.

The next day I was driving and smoke was rising from under the hood. My temperate gauge was normal.

On further inspection the shop had not refilled my coolant and there was a oil leak that had leaked 1/4 quart of oil in 1 day.

Waiting for a tow to repair shop now. how screwed am I and what should I do?
  • 35 posts
  • Page 2 of 2
  • «
Jump to Forum: