Guest Menu
Forum Utilities
More Engine Mods Threads
Viewing Thread

how to use 08 09 10 ecu on 07

• 19 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Apr 07, 2012 1:17:15 am
    ok so i have a 2007 scion tc 5 speed and i don't have no rev limiter i have been reading on forums that you can use the 08 09 10 ecu which are cheap at junk yards my scion tc is stock with minor mods i just hate the fact that when i want to race my friend and when i go a little past red line in first gear it has a little fuel cut for 3 seconds before i can switch to second gear any ways my question to you guys that are reading this thread is if i switch to a 08 09 10 ecu will it let me bounce off the rev limiter and will keep the throttle body open at red line and if the answer is yes do i just simply unplug the old one and install the new one or do i have to take it to the stealership to get it programed to work
    • Apr 07, 2012 4:54:05 am
    My question is why do you want to bounce off of the rev limiter? I have never understood that. I have never had to bounce off the rev limiter like a high schooler in his civic. I find the perfect revs for a nice clean launch with minimal wheel spin and high grip.

You might as well know that the rev limiter is stopping you from blowing up the motor.
    • Apr 07, 2012 6:01:19 am
    lol another high schooler that want to be like the dudes from fast and the furious movies lol.... just drive like a normal person and u wont need another ecu
    • Apr 07, 2012 7:37:49 am
    Just like those Civic drivers that switch out their ECU for an Integra ECU because it "redlines" 700rpm higher and they swear it makes their Civic faster... LMAO
    • Apr 07, 2012 8:39:00 am
    I thought our cars peak power stops around 5500 rpm anyway? Why
    go past redline?
    • Apr 07, 2012 10:31:02 am
    All of the answers so far are correct.

Hey, am I the only one that notices every time a question like this comes up, the OP has like no info in their profile, no car pics, no mod list, usually no name, or location?

It's seems odd.

Also, I read somewhere that the OE Corolla wheels are almost 4 ounces lighter, so if I have less unsprung weight, I should be faster right? (I was making that up BTW)

Lastly.... Your Fuel Cut IS Your Rev Limiter.
    • Apr 08, 2012 3:04:04 pm
    its not the fact that i want to bounce off the limiter and no i dont want to be like a honda civic and bounce off the rev limiter i just hate when i want to have some fun on the car and launch and i accidently pass 5500 rpm i hit like a stall (fuel cut) for 3 seconds before it will let me get in to second gear
    • Apr 08, 2012 3:07:19 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by JONNYTC on Apr 08, 2012 3:19:06pm.
    oh and i am new on the forums how do i post pics up i tried but its not working it just keep loading and loading
    • Apr 08, 2012 3:16:48 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by JONNYTC on Apr 08, 2012 3:18:03pm.
    oh and leezy in that part you might be right but sometimes like for instance on a rsx im not sure what they redline stock but with a simple k pro and tune they easily red line to 8000 rpm and that make the power band and torque stronger when switching to the next gear
    • Apr 08, 2012 3:19:03 pm
    1. Shift at/around 5800rpms, best shift rpm imo

2. If you want a higher rev limit, get a piggyback ecu. Be advised, higher rpms = decreased engine life in stock form

3. Do some research

• Apr 08, 2012 3:20:20 pm
    thanks you seem like the only helpful one on this forum
    • Apr 08, 2012 3:31:59 pm
    Don't mind them, they mean well lol. If you ever have any questions, shoot me a pm. I don't know everything, but I can forward you to someone who does

One thing I have heard though, our ecu's suck when it comes to tuning. They "learn" the changes and adjust accordingly. I will be finding out if this is fact or fiction very soon
    • Apr 08, 2012 3:41:23 pm
    sounds good thanks alot
    • Apr 18, 2012 5:10:32 pm
    I think alot of people here probably misunderstand you, however, I know exactly what youre going through. Albeit my car makes quite a bit of power, so the situation was about 100x worse. What you're experiencing is a throttle cut. Only the 07's have this function, why I really dont know, but especially in highly modified cars, its a royal pain in the ass if you accidently hit the rev limit, specifically if youre spinning in 1st/2nd or for some of us 3rd, and 4th lol.

You can actually VERY easily install and 08+ ecu. Its as simple as removing the stock ecu, plugging it in, than learning the immobilizer to the new ECU using a paperclip or wire to short two pins on the OBDII connector. The only important thing is that you get an auto ECU if you have an auto, and vice-versa if you have a manual. I have a writeup on learning the immobilizer over on SL - heres a link -

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195000

Scroll down to post #11, my username is thendawg on SL.

• Apr 18, 2012 5:44:16 pm
    A simple thing you can do is add a shift light so you can shift before you have to shift and avoid errors.
    • Apr 19, 2012 12:42:14 pm
    fdw412 wrote:

2. If you want a higher rev limit, get a piggyback ecu. Be advised, higher rpms = decreased engine life in stock form

3. Do some research

It is a 2007 ECU tC. The ECU cuts fuel differently than the 05-06 and the 08-10 tC's. It was the one year that they changed the way the fuel cut happens. It closes the throttle body, therefore even with a piggyback it is not possible to bypass the rev limiter on an 07. All other years the Rev limiter is kicked in via an Ign cut but the actual Throttle body stays open. IE...A piggyback (Only an Emanage Ultimate can do it by the way, otherwise it will be a Standalone) on anything other than an 07 ECU can keep the ign firing and thus bypass the factory rev limiter.

The tC's stock head is good to rev to 7000rpms. I am currently at 6800rpms redline which works better than the 6250rpms for my 300+whp tC. Once the motor is built it will be 450-500whp and 7800rpms.

For the OP, disregard the child post rather than answering your question. An 08 ECU should drop right in and does not need to be taken to the stealership to reprogram anything. Aside from that, the stealership would look at you funny to begin with and probably have you leave. You start talking about mixing and matching stuff, do it yourself, or take it to a trust worthy performance shop.
    • Apr 19, 2012 1:31:23 pm
    rhythmnsmoke wrote:
    fdw412 wrote:

3. Do some research

It is a 2007 ECU tC. The ECU cuts fuel differently than the 05-06 and the 08-10 tC's. It was the one year that they changed the way the fuel cut happens. It closes the throttle body, therefore even with a piggyback it is not possible to bypass the rev limiter on an 07. All other years the Rev limiter is kicked in via an Ign cut but the actual Throttle body stays open. IE...A piggyback (Only an Emanage Ultimate can do it by the way, otherwise it will be a Standalone) on anything other than an 07 ECU can keep the ign firing and thus bypass the factory rev limiter.

The tC's stock head is good to rev to 7000rpms. I am currently at 6800rpms redline which works better than the 6250rpms for my 300+whp tC. Once the motor is built it will be 450-500whp and 7800rpms.

For the OP, disregard the child post rather than answering your question. An 08 ECU should drop right in and does not need to be taken to the stealership to reprogram anything. Aside from that, the stealership would look at you funny to begin with and probably have you leave. You start talking about mixing and matching stuff, do it yourself, or take it to a trust worthy performance shop.

Shoot.... well, its good to know that now I guess. I didn't know the fuel cut couldn't be changed. I've only heard tuning with an 07 ecu can be a headache. I was planning on raising my redline to ~7k as well but looks like I'm on the market for a new ecu now
    • May 01, 2012 10:36:13 pm
    hey guys thanks for the info so the 08 ecu can work but what is the immoblizer part for thendawg was saying you need to fry something for 30 minutes and why?
    • May 01, 2012 10:42:45 pm
    • Edited 1 times, last by JONNYTC on May 01, 2012 11:02:58pm.
    oh and i know this is off topic but rhythmnsmoke your car is a beast i was looking at some of your youtube video
Tags: ecu 09 10 use 07 08 how on to
  • 19 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: