Forum Utilities
More DIYs (Do it Yourself) by CStC Members Threads
Viewing Thread

Front Wheel Spacers Installed

• 29 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
    • May 17, 2005 9:40:21 pm
    I installed H&R spacers on my TC since I didn-t like the wheels tucked in after the drop with S-Techs. It has 15mm front and 20mm rear but I only have DIY of the front since I was in a hurry when I did the rear. I would not recommend going any thicker since I've already tried so did Schuller from SL. I originally had 20 on both front and rear, Schuller tried 20 front and 25 rear. They work fine but they start rubbing when you hit bumps or go through dips.
    Here is the picture of the front disc. Mark the disc and the hub so you can put it back the same way ( I used the 2 little holes on the disc and the rust mark on the hub as my marker).

Remove the 2 caliper bolts on top and bottom.
    Top:

Bottom:

Make sure you hang the caliper so it doesn-t stress the rubber hose.

Pull out the Disc so it looks like this.

Line up the lug bolt to the notch behind the hub so you can take it off. The repair manual says use a special tool to do this. I used my -special hammer- to knock it out.

Replace it with the longer lug bolt that came with the spacers. You need to perform the following procedure for all 5 lugs.

Use some washers (I used bigger nuts) and tighten the nut to force the new lugs to sit properly behind the axel. You might have to use a bar or something to keep the axel from turning while you tighten the nut.

Put the disc back over the hub lined up with the mark you made earlier. Install the calipers back and tighten the 2 caliper bolts (manual says 79 ft-lbf). Put the spacers over the disc. Make sure its facing the right way.

Put the tires back on and you-re done on one side. Now go do the other side. This is how it looks like after 15mm front and 20mm rear spacers were installed.

• May 18, 2005 6:13:28 am
    Very nice - how long did it take? On a scale of 1-10 of difficulty for a DIY what would you consider this?Since it looks like you-re essentially widening the wheel base by about 40mm, does this improve handling at all?How much were your spacers and where-d you get them?Is this too many questions?
    • May 18, 2005 1:38:34 pm
    looks great. i was planning on getting 10 mm spacers front and back, but i think im gonna go with 20 mm ones now. how much did they cost you?
    • May 18, 2005 1:41:51 pm
    It took me roughly 1 hour for each wheel since I-ve never done this before. The time consuming part is tightening the new lugs to make it sit on the hub. I had to do it slowly by hand to avoid F%$&ng up my car in case the other bar I-m holding to keep the hub from turning slips. As far as difficulty level, It-s just a matter of taking out 2 bolts for the caliper (For the front). You just need some muscle when you install the new lugs.The rear requires 2 bolts for the caliper and 4 bolts for the hub itself. I-m not sure if the hub on the rear really needs to come off. That was the first one I did so didn-t know what I was doing yet.
    Quote:
    Since it looks like you-re essentially widening the wheel base by about 40mm, does this improve handling at all?
    It probably would but I haven-t driven it that hard yet. That blind spot on the TC is really killing me so the fastest turn on the corner I-ve done is only about 35mph.
    Quote:
    How much were your spacers and where-d you get them?
    I paid $100 for a set of 2 + tax and $9 S/H from optauto so it cost me close to $240 for all 4. I ordered a set of 2 for the rear first so that I can see how it looks first and make sure it does not rub. I placed the second order after I installed the rear. I probably could have saved a few dollars for shipping if I ordered both at the same time.
    • May 18, 2005 2:16:32 pm
    -mrwinter- wrote:
    Since it looks like you-re essentially widening the wheel base by about 40mm, does this improve handling at all?
    Isn-t wheel base the distance from front to rear? Doesn-t this widen the track length?
    • May 18, 2005 8:11:41 pm
    ^youre right, wheel base is from front to rear, and wheel track is from side to side.
    • May 18, 2005 8:20:23 pm
    Great mod!!!cheap too!! It gives the car a different look. I like it but I prefer the tucked look.
    • May 18, 2005 9:00:36 pm
    Hmm is there any vibration problems? Usually when you extend that far vibration kicks in.
    • May 19, 2005 1:23:32 pm
    I haven-t felt any unusual vibrations yet. The only vibration I feel is from the road due to the S-Tech drop.
    • May 19, 2005 1:44:45 pm
    Which model/part# did you get from optauto.com?
    • May 19, 2005 1:47:23 pm
    -bofett5- wrote:
    -mrwinter- wrote:
    Isn-t wheel base the distance from front to rear? Doesn-t this widen the track length?
    That-s right, my mistake. I always tend to say wheel base for some reason. Maybe I-m lysdexic...maybe that would explain why my exhaust is attached to the throttle body and the intake is coming out the ass of my tC!
    • May 19, 2005 1:48:09 pm
    -mrwinter- wrote:
    -bofett5- wrote:
    -mrwinter- wrote:
    That-s right, my mistake. I always tend to say wheel base for some reason. Maybe I-m lysdexic...maybe that would explain why my exhaust is attached to the throttle body and the intake is coming out the ass of my tC!
    Actually, mrwinter, that-s you being an idiot.
    • May 19, 2005 3:44:56 pm
    Looks good. If I decided to keep the stock wheels for a while I-ll probably get these.
    • May 19, 2005 9:29:29 pm
    Quote:
    Which model/part# did you get from optauto.com?
    HR4025541 - It-s on the Toyota section of the spacers. It is actually the same as the Celica if you look at H&R website. If you really want it to look really good, you can put 25mm on the rear but you might risk rubbing the tire lip(lump by the rims) because of the L-edged fender if you hit a really big bump or pothole. 25mm will make it really flush with the edge of the rear fender. 20mm is perfect for the front since it is flush to the fender edge and not much risk of rubbing since it is V-edged fender. Here-s some pics:FrontRear
    • May 19, 2005 9:55:55 pm
    Quote:
    If I decided to keep the stock wheels for a while I-ll probably get these.
    I debated whether I should get new rims or put spacers, decided to go with spacers since the stock rims are not that bad looking. I-ll use the extra money for the turbo budget so I can get it much sooner.
    • May 21, 2005 12:30:06 am
    keep us updated if you get any vibration problems.. i want to do this for my car too when i have money.
    • May 21, 2005 5:13:09 pm
    Here-s another pic to give everyone an idea of how it looks.

• Apr 10, 2006 1:34:49 pm
    Wanted to find out how the spacers have been holding up all these months? Any vibrations? Rubbing? Handling problems?

I am thinking spacers for the first upgrade of the season. Wanted to see how they're doing for you.
    • Jun 19, 2006 9:07:21 pm
    It's still holding out the same as when I first installed it. But then again, I don't drive the car much. I'm still below 6k miles after a year and a half. I have 4 vehicles and I drive my truck the most. The TC is still my baby.
    • Jun 20, 2006 5:02:35 am
    Does this mod help performance at all, or is it just for looks?
  • 29 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Jump to Forum: