Average intervals are 25K-30K

Heavy tools needed:
    -Floor Jack
    -Jack stands
    -wheel chuck
    *wheel chuck not shown but anything to block the back tires from moving

Hand tools needed:
    -3/8" drive ratchet
    -12 mm deep socket (a 6" extension isn't shown but also recommended)
    -1/2" drive breaker bar
    -1/2" drive 10" extension
    -1 1/16" deep socket
    -1/2" drive 24 mm short socket
    -oil catch can
    -fullel
    *catch can and funnel not shown

*cresant wrench shown is not needed

Steps:
    1)Put the wheel chuck behind your back tire and Pull up your e-brake

2)Find floor jack position

3)Lift car until you can fit jackstands under the car
    *I used this flat spot but you can use the lateral rail just past it (it's the square rail that looks about 1.5" thick)

4)Lower the car a bit so that it sits flat on the jack stands and the floor jack still has a bit of pressure pushing up on the mount

5)Locate the reverse sensor in your engine and unplug the grey connector on it. Shown in red

6)Right behind it is a 12 mm bolt you have to remove. Use the deep socket 12 mm, extension and ratchet to remove it and just move the metal braket aside a bit. Yellow is the 12 mm bolt

7)Now use the 1 1/16" deep socket to remove the reverse sensor. Circled in red

8 )Now get under the car and locate the drain plug. Plug is in red circle.....green is the fill plug but that's doing it the hard way with a syphon so don't pay attention to that

9)Use the 24 mm socket and the 1/2" drive breaker bar (if your socket is 1/2" drive) and loosen/remove this bolt. This WILL be messy so make sure you have your oil catch can under neath it.
    Try to hold the bolt in place as the fluid comes out until a good bit has drained. This will prevent it from going everywhere.
    Just let it drain for about 5 minutes.

10)When it's done draining, replace the drain plug and tighten a good bit. It has an aluminum washer so it'll feel like it can keep tightening but just go until you feel it's very snug.

11)Lift your car off the jack stands and lower the car back down. Remove the oil catch can prior to doing this.

12)With car on the ground, grab your funnel and place it in the hole where the reverse sensor would go.

13)Add 2.5 quarts of your desired gear oil. You can use Redline MT90, Amsoil 75W/90 gear oil,...Just make sure it's GL4 compliant

14)Replace reverse sensor and tighten. Again, this also has an aluminum washer so just tighten it until it feels nice and snug. RECONNECT THE GREY PLUG!

15)Replace the 12 mm bolt and just hand tighten until snug.

16)Prior to starting the car, push the clutch in and move through the gears slowly. You should notice a nice, smooth gear transition.

17)Last, clean up, remove wheel chuck from rear tires, and go take it for a spin.

Enjoy!
    • Feb 28, 2007 12:13:05 am
    this is an awesome diy guide. i just changed mine with some Redline mt90 and it feels a lot better. if you do this. make sure you have the right size sockets! i think the drain plug and the overflow plug are 23mm. i used a 27mm deep socket to take the harness bolt off. also, get a long funnel like the one in those pics. it will be alot easier to pour the new fluid in.
    MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE STEP ABOUT THE TIGHTENING THE HARNESS BOLT BACK BEFORE DRAINING THE TRANNY FLUID!!!
    i did not tighten mine enough and made a huge mess in the garage. not fun to clean up.
    • Feb 28, 2007 3:24:52 am
    jboy510 wrote:
    this is an awesome diy guide. i just changed mine with some Redline mt90 and it feels a lot better. if you do this. make sure you have the right size sockets! i think the drain plug and the overflow plug are 23mm. i used a 27mm deep socket to take the harness bolt off. also, get a long funnel like the one in those pics. it will be alot easier to pour the new fluid in.
    MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE STEP ABOUT THE TIGHTENING THE HARNESS BOLT BACK BEFORE DRAINING THE TRANNY FLUID!!!
    i did not tighten mine enough and made a huge mess in the garage. not fun to clean up.

hahahahaha, sorry............that's just funny..........hahahahha..

Glad this helped though. I'm going to be changing mine again soon (about 25K on it so it's about time) to Amsoil GL-4 75W/90 trany fluid. Their oil is simply amazing for engines and I've used it for the past 26K+ so their trany fluid should be just as good .

This is it:
    Amsoil Gear lube
    • Feb 28, 2007 10:31:18 am
    yea i saw that right next to the redline and decided to go with redline because thats what that guy used. but the ams one seems really good. let us know how that turns out for ya.
    • Feb 28, 2007 10:36:55 am
    jboy510 wrote:
    yea i saw that right next to the redline and decided to go with redline because thats what that guy used. but the ams one seems really good. let us know how that turns out for ya.

Will do.
    • Mar 21, 2007 5:17:13 am
    I'm getting my amsoil fluid this week hopefully. If I get it by friday, I'll make a DIY for OUR site .
    • Mar 21, 2007 10:32:15 am
    ok, so i have 38k on my car, and i don't think i've ever changed the tranny fluid. would you say i'm due?? lol...

this DIY seems easy enough.

i'll just need some ramps or jack stands, a funnel, the redline mt90, and a socket set, then?

is it okay to pour tranny fluid down your toilet?
    • Mar 21, 2007 10:34:07 am
    aDelcoTc wrote:
    ok, so i have 38k on my car, and i don't think i've ever changed the tranny fluid. would you say i'm due?? lol...

i'll just need some ramps or jack stands, a funnel, the redline mt90, and a socket set, then?

Yeah, it's about time....

Yes, it's easy.

That's all you need.

NOOOOOOOO....haha............take it to the dump around your area or an Autozone....they recycle oil so just tell them that's what it is

Average interval for trany fluid is 25-30K.
    • Mar 21, 2007 11:05:12 am
    Web wrote:
    aDelcoTc wrote:

Yeah, it's about time....

Yes, it's easy.

That's all you need.

NOOOOOOOO....haha............take it to the dump around your area or an Autozone....they recycle oil so just tell them that's what it is

Average interval for trany fluid is 25-30K.

okay, so what tools do i need? don't have a socket set, so i'll have to borrow from my dad.
    • Mar 21, 2007 11:37:26 am
    From the link:

Quote:
    -You will need a 1&1/16" socket and a 10" extension in order to get this out easily.

Also, I believe a 10 mm socket and an adjustable wrench. I'll make sure to write a better DIY when I do mine. I get the fluid from UPS tomorrow so I'll do it friday before a night cruise if it doesn't rain . I'll be thorough.

• Mar 21, 2007 11:54:59 am
    Web wrote:
    From the link:

Quote:
    -You will need a 1&1/16" socket and a 10" extension in order to get this out easily.

Also, I believe a 10 mm socket and an adjustable wrench. I'll make sure to write a better DIY when I do mine. I get the fluid from UPS tomorrow so I'll do it friday before a night cruise if it doesn't rain . I'll be thorough.

cool. you had to get the fluid delivered??? what, they don't carry it at auto zone or pep boys, etc..?

yeah, let me know how it goes. i [obviously] need to get this done soon. also want to swap for mobile 1 synthetic oil soon too.

so right now the only thing i need to buy is/are car ramps or jack stands... don't think my 2x4 boards are going to give me the clearance i need to work.

• Mar 21, 2007 11:56:02 am
    Redline is rarely sold in stores and the Amsoil Gear oil I got wasn't a store stock.
    • Mar 21, 2007 12:46:36 pm
    Web wrote:
    Redline is rarely sold in stores and the Amsoil Gear oil I got wasn't a store stock.

oh, so the amsoil is made by redline? is it better than the mt90?

i have no idea.

where'd u order from and how much, i know that stuff ain't cheap.
    • Mar 21, 2007 12:52:12 pm
    aDelcoTc wrote:
    Web wrote:

oh, so the amsoil is made by redline? is it better than the mt90?

i have no idea.

where'd u order from and how much, i know that stuff ain't cheap.

No, redline is made by redline and amsoil is made by amsoil.

I have had redline in for 25K so I'm switching to Amsoil. I use Amsoil's engine oil and vowed never to change to any other oil. It's expensive but soooooooooo much better than any synthetic I've tried. The engine is quieter, smoother and runs a slight bit cooler. Engine bay temp is reduced a bit. If it's like the engine oil, my trany will be lovin' me .

I ordered mine from http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx?zo=1117371 for about $9.90/qt.
    • Mar 21, 2007 1:00:26 pm
    hmmm...never heard of amsoil. that scares me (despite my undying trust and resepect for you web)
    • Mar 21, 2007 1:06:46 pm
    Amsoil has actually been around longer in the racing world than Mobil 1. It's race proven (as is Mobil 1) but is 100% pure chemical synthetic unlike Mobil 1 being almost all synthetic (still has some dyno oil).

Amsoil is carried by very limited dealers and is hard to find. It's not a common oil used for daily vehicles but those who use it, won't go back to any other oil.
    • Mar 21, 2007 1:10:14 pm
    Check out their company history:
    http://www.amsoil.com/company.aspx

I used to work at Autozone for 3-4 years and almost all of our commercial clients had old muscle cars....just the area I was in I guess. they always told me about how they've used a lot of oils and Amsoil is just superior.....they just see how minimal any wear is from internal friction and love how long it lasts prior to any contamination.
    • Mar 21, 2007 1:26:00 pm
    interesting....
    • Mar 21, 2007 4:14:22 pm
    My transmission fluid came 1 day early ...I'll do it Friday after work .

• Mar 21, 2007 5:16:41 pm
    Update:

I will be doing the trany fluid swap tomorrow (p.s. my rims come then too ) so I'll have a new DIY up in this thread. I'll edit the first one and make this CLUBSCIONTC'S Trany fluid DIY .
  • 59 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Jump to Forum: