Forum Utilities
More DIYs (Do it Yourself) by CStC Members Threads
Viewing Thread

DIY: Make your horn sound when you lock your car

• 26 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
    • Jun 16, 2007 10:29:39 am
    Ok, I have completed the task and it's great . My Hella horns are so damn loud though that at night, I am going to wake the neighbors...hahahaha

What you'll need:
    -18 gauge copper wire
    -blue wire taps

-6A/60V diode

-shrink wrap
    -crimpers
    -rosin core solder
    -soldering iron/gun (whichever)

Steps:
    1: Get about 3 feet of wire and solder it to the BLACK end of the diode.........Then solder another 1.5-2 feet of wire to the SILVER end of the diode. Cover in shrink wrap to weather proof it.

2:Open your hood and locate the fuse box to the right of the battery. Remove the horn relay (white relay closest to large black wire)....Removed in pictures:

3:Remove kick panel near driver's dead foot pedal. You will find the plug connections for controls of the vehicle.
    (plug will not be unplugged like that but this was a late picture)

4:At the top left, you will see a grey plug. To its right, there is a white plug and you have to remove by wedging a screwdriver between it and the grey plug. This will allow you a bit more room to work with the brown wire you need:

Brown wire you need is pointed to

5:HARD PART.....Ok, now lay on your back and look under your steering column. Up to the left (right if you're staring at the wheel) you will see 2 silver lines and close to them you will see a rubber cone with a lume of wires running into it. DON'T PULL THE WIRES, but pull the edges of the rubber boot inwards until you can feel your fingers through the firewall. This is where you will run the wires from the fuse box to the kick panel. Here's an engine view of the firewal port (the red wire is my wire from the fuse box that is about 3 feet long connected to the BLACK side of the diode):

A look from right in front of the radiator back to the firewall:

6:Run the wire up and over all the pedal brackets in the foot section of the driver's side and down to the kick panel. Here is where you will tap the brown wire and your new wire together:

7:Back to the fuse box in the engine, I cut a small knotch in the side just so when I close the lid the wire won't get pinched and is still nice and snug:

8:Now feed the shorter wire connected to the SILVER side of the diode into the box and locate the left most prong where the relay will mount (circled in red):

9:Wedge the edge of the wire into that slot along with the relay:

10:Reconnect the white plug from the kick panel and put the kick panel back together. (You have to reset your driver's side window but that's easy....just hold the button all the way up for about 2-3 seconds and then test each position going down and up)

Enjoy

*Note: Your horn will not only honk when you lock your car with the key, but also when you are in it and hit the lock button on the door switches. I kind of was hoping that wouldn't happen but whatever....at least now I won't hit my lock button 3-4 times walking away from the car just to make sure I locked it.
    • Jun 16, 2007 10:31:44 am
    excellent write up!
    • Jun 16, 2007 10:40:14 am
    thanks.....only took about 1 hour too...........not hard at all.

Thanks hvtopiwala and Dr. I for a few helpful tips and links.
    • Jun 16, 2007 10:40:51 am
    ok so it worked for u? good, was making sure my instructions were good enough lol
    • Jun 16, 2007 10:41:39 am
    yeah, i just wish it wouldn't sound just when i locked the doors from the inside but oh well. It's just b/c my horns are so damn loud...haha
    • Jun 16, 2007 10:46:38 am
    goodness, when i get out of here, and have lots of time to expierement, ill figure out a way to tap into the key lock button instead of the door lock mecanism. but it would probably require more work lol
    • Jun 16, 2007 10:55:42 am
    hmm.. i know most people would love to NOT have any beep/honk when they lock their doors.

i personally find it annoying and obnoxious as well..

(getting home late at night.. yeah... thanks for letting us know you got back home at 2am.... j@#%*&$!!)

but hey.. i know some people like it, so i won't rain on your parade....

.. too much.
    • Jun 16, 2007 11:07:21 am
    hehehe, Web, ill look at some electrical stuff and figure out how to NOT make it beep when u lock it from the inside
    • Jun 16, 2007 11:18:13 am
    doesnt the DIY on scionlife not have it honk when you lock it with the door controls?
    • Jun 16, 2007 11:20:11 am
    instead of hooking mine up to the actual car horn, im going to get a chirping siren from radioshack. I want it to sound more like how the lexus or camry does when you unlock it.
    • Jun 16, 2007 11:23:36 am
    it's called a piezo buzzer

btw.. fyi..

RADIO SHACK SUCKS
    • Jun 16, 2007 11:31:03 am
    ^Yeah, they had those at radio shack for 3$....i might switch it later on and it only requires another wire tap so nothing big. It's ok for now.

Radio shack is the only electrical place around my area though
    • Jun 16, 2007 11:42:35 am
    Web, imma be ordering some stuff of mouser in like 1-2 months, if u need anything lemme know so we can just get it all together and then ill jsut mail u the stuff u bought. that way shipping doesnt kill us lol
    • Jun 16, 2007 11:57:30 am
    ive been thinking, and we have to tap into the wire that sense's that u pressed the button on teh remote and sends the pulse to the door unlock. we cant tap onto the lights or anything otherwise ur horn would go off when u put ur lights on and shit lol
    • Jun 16, 2007 12:20:40 pm
    supafly wrote:
    doesnt the DIY on scionlife not have it honk when you lock it with the door controls?

yea.............uhhhhhhhh so it honks when u lock it with the controls with this DIY?? its great dont get me wrong.....but.........i think it would get kindda annoying haha knowing myself i like to play with the locks LOL.....but great work!! let us know when u guys figured out a way to do it where the controls dont effect the horns haha thanks again!!
    • Jun 16, 2007 12:30:12 pm
    all u need to do is tap into the wire which sends the LOCK pulse to the doors from the remote key. that way it wont beep when ur unlocking it, or locking from inside
    • Jun 17, 2007 1:25:23 pm
    I might run a dual wire lead to a piezo buzzer like the link on SL did.....i already have the brown wire tapped so the blue wire next to it will just get tapped and run to a buzzer rather than my horn.
    • Jun 18, 2007 5:40:48 pm
    hvtopiwala wrote:
    all u need to do is tap into the wire which sends the LOCK pulse to the doors from the remote key. that way it wont beep when ur unlocking it, or locking from inside

do you know which exact one i have to tap into??? a pic would be EXTREAMLY helpful thanks dude! im good at the mechanical stuff, but when it comes to wireing, its like telling me to speak french..... LOL thanks again
    • Jun 21, 2007 6:46:36 am
    thanks
  • 26 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Jump to Forum: