Guest Menu
Forum Utilities
More DIYs (Do it Yourself) by CStC Members Threads
Viewing Thread

DIY: How To Install RS1 Side Skirts

• 17 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
    • Apr 18, 2010 11:56:07 pm
    • Edited 3 times, last by SqMK on Nov 30, 2011 3:17:17pm.
    The following guide serves as a tutorial on how to install your RS1 side skirts. I take no responsibility whatsoever in the event that you mess up the install or improperly mount your side skirts. It is always best to do a dry fit of your side skirts BEFORE sending it to get painted. This way the side skirts will already be drilled into or trimmed down (if it is needed) and you will not have to make any cuts or modifications to an already painted item. For this install removing my rear wheels was necessary; as I am lowered on TRD springs and there simply wasn't enough room in the wheel well to use a drill. If you are not comfortable removing your wheels and jacking the car up in the air; then I suggest having a bodyshop do the install.

The tools that will be needed for this are as follows:

Power drill with a phillips screw head
    3M adhesive tape (optional; can be purchased from local auto store for a few dollars)
    8 screws (4 on each side; kit should include them. If none are included then you can get them at a local hardware store)
    Extra set of hands (can be installed by yourself...but an extra person always helps)
    Microfiber towel
    Wax and grease remover
    Tarp (not necessary, but helps protect the painted side skirt...as opposed to the ground)
    Painters tape (used for dry fitting)
    Exacto knife
    OEM scissor jack and handle
    Tire iron and wheel lock socket

Turn your front wheel. This way you have enough room to get a power drill in the front wheel well.

The very first thing you will want to do is take your wax and grease remover and spray along the lower portion of the inner door sill. Take your microfiber towel and thoroughly wipe down these areas and wipe dry. The whole point of this step is to clean the area where the RS1 side skirts will rest. Get rid of any dirt, wax, grease, etc. It will also help make the 3M adhesive tape stick properly and ensure that the RS1 side skirt remains seated on the inner door sill.

If you are concerned about scratching your OEM side skirt apply painters tape to the following 2 areas.

Place your lip on a soft surface such as a tarp, plastic, grass, etc. so as not to scratch it up. Clean underside with wax and grease remover. Apply 3M adhesive tape to the following areas. I personally recommend one strip in each area where the side skirt will rest just below the door sill. Remove protective backing of tape; exposing the tape itself for mounting the side skirt to the inner door sill.

Place the OEM scissor jack just under the mounting points (these areas are designated with the upside triangle). Proceed to jack car up in the air using the handle. You only want to jack the car up high enough to remove the wheels. Use the OEM tire iron and wheel lock socket to remove your lugs and wheel locks.

This next step is where you will mount the actual RS1 side skirt to the inner door sill (be sure your door is open). You want to start by placing the very front of the side skirt in the front wheel well. Carefully position the middle of the side skirt on the inner door sill at an angle (the reason you want to do this at an angle is because of the 3M adhesive underneath). Allow it to rest there with one hand holding it into place; while using your free hand to reach towards the rear of the side skirt and pull it into the wheel well.

Once you pull the ends of the lip into the wheel wells, you are ready to screw them into place. Carefully use the power drill to attach the screws (2 in front and 2 in rear) securely into the RS1 side skirt.

Once you have successfully attached the RS1 side skirt, re-attach the wheel and carefully lower the vehicle. Do the same procedure to the other side.

Lastly, be sure to pick up all your tools; so as not to damage your vehicle.

Finished product!
    • Apr 19, 2010 1:25:33 am
    you the man
    • Apr 19, 2010 4:36:06 am
    nice diy. only two questions.

1) Do you leave the original side on the vehicle?
    2) Did you pre-drill the holes or did you just use the self-tap screws through the side skirt?

BTW here is something I like to do when working with 3m adhesive. I attach it to the trim like you did, but I pull only a little bit off of the corner of one end and peel enough so it is exposed where I can pull on it and press at the same time. I find this allows me to test fit it till I am happy with the location and when I am happy I peel the tape cover off and press.

• Apr 19, 2010 4:36:34 am
    So it goes OVER the existing sideskirt??

Nice writeup!!
    • Apr 19, 2010 6:26:29 am
    Thanks for the writeup Kennon. The RS1 sideskirts fit OVER the existing sideskirts.
    • Apr 19, 2010 6:58:17 am
    Great write up keep it up!
    • Apr 19, 2010 10:05:06 am
    The RS1 skirts go over the existing OEM skirts.

I dry fitted the pieces on the car ahead of time...when I did that, I predrilled holes in the skirts. This way install would go much faster and easier for me. Pretty difficult to install those pieces by yourself and take pics at the same time like I did; but it can be accomplished. Make sure when drilling the holes you line everything up ahead of time. There were a couple instances where I guessed the drill hole locations and found out that it was nowhere close to where it needed to be.

You can apply the adhesive and pull a small piece of the backing off inch by inch.
    • Apr 19, 2010 12:11:49 pm
    yes definitely a nice write up!

with all that double face tape n screws

it`s definitely not going anywhere!
    • Apr 19, 2010 2:56:34 pm
    ^ Agreed. If it does, I will be shocked.

SPECIAL THANKS TO BRIAN FROM RACING SOLUTION FOR SETTING ME UP WITH THE KIT!!!
    • Apr 19, 2010 3:02:27 pm
    JTAC wrote:
    Finished product!

Awesome write up
    n
    sexxxyy car
    • Apr 19, 2010 3:27:04 pm
    Again, another Awesome DIY. Thanks for your work and detail.
    • Apr 19, 2010 5:39:25 pm
    Thank you for the D.I.Y. This is awesome
    • Apr 19, 2010 10:51:36 pm
    Thanks for the compliments. I was going to do a DIY on the rear lip, but would need a second person here to take pics for me.

I just found out right now that I'll be having a lot of free time to do it (on my days off). So anyone that wants to make $40 for taking pics...let me know. You can also feel good about yourself by helping other visual learners out.
    • Apr 19, 2010 11:32:29 pm
    Elmo....thanks for volunteering to take pictures!
    • Apr 20, 2010 11:15:11 pm
    I went out today to try and get some better pictures of the side skirts and the whole kit in general. I managed to grab a couple shots before it started to rain.

Car wasn't quite clean enough...oh well.

With side skirts (full kit)

With just front lip (1.5 weeks ago)
    • Apr 21, 2010 5:58:11 am
    Looks great!
  • 17 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Jump to Forum: